Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

9 minutes ago, Stivo said:

The graphs come from the ONS report. There is some validity in his point. If I recall correctly was suggested lat year by PHE?  that schoolchildren mainly caught it from parents and not at school. But that was probably alpha not delta, there were measures in place in schools etc and  parents were not vaccinated.  

At this stage I don’t see that it matters much that it’s clearly spreading within schools as parents and teachers are in the main vaccinated and children are at extremely low risk.

Extremly low risk of dying from it, but i would thought they're extremly high risk of spreading it which is the real issue now as it's positives that are driving all this talk of plan b's and c's.

3 hours ago, Munshi said:

7500 patients currently in hospitals in the UK with Covid? what's that 5/6 per hospital? Not exactly putting the NHS under crazy pressure is it?

Can you check how many of the (apparently ) 1200 hospitals in the U.K. are able to take Covid ill  patients ?? I’m certain it’s a lot less then 1200 !

50 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Infection rates in the UK currently the highest in the world at the moment!? Is that right?

45 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

We do the most tests.

It shouldn’t be too difficult to declare positive cases per test lodged

on this note, does anyone have experience of lodging a positive LFT test result?  Does the system automatically register you for a PCR test or does it just advise you to get a PCR to confirm the LFT ?  I’m not convinced that our online systems are clever enough to distinguish between a positive LFT on a Tuesday and the positive confirmatory PCR on the Thursday.  I mean the lodged positive LFT is presumably part of the positive case numbers on the Tuesday.  What about the positive PCR on the Thursday. Is that just ignored?  Does anyone actually know for sure that it isn’t declared as another positive test result in Fridays numbers  ???

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

That is completely understandable for those at risk, but if we're talking generally (which I was with my comment) then I think that the point I was making is fair, do you not? I wouldn't want to be judged on my vaccination status and therefore I don't judge others for theirs. You gotta do what you feel is right - like I say, doesn't make you a better or worse person in my eyes. Everyone's situation is different. 

The "moral high ground" comment I made wasn't a dig at those who are vaccinated, it was a dig at those who go out of their way to say "I've had the vaccine, you haven't, you're wrong and I'm right", like it makes any difference to who that person is as a person. I'm sure there are plenty of nasty so and so's out there who are double vaccinated and then really kind, honest people who haven't had a vaccine at all. My point was more let's not blame each other for what's inevitably going to be a hard winter (on the face of recent talk in the media) over vaccine choices.   

Swerve...

Swerving GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Guest Col city fan
30 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Hard to say given how much more testing we do. 

I suggest it’s both 

I was at the cinema last weekend with Mrs Col and it was pretty much a full house.

Given the jobs we do, we have to be VERY careful around Covid.

I can just about literally say we were the only two in auditorium wearing face masks

In a cinema I find this remarkable. What with close proximity to others, heat, air conditioning and coughing if there is one single affected person in that audience, it’d pass around like wild fire.

Genuinely, people just don’t seem to give a toss

11 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I suggest it’s both 

I was at the cinema last weekend with Mrs Col and it was pretty much a full house.

I can just about literally say we were the only two in auditorium wearing face masks

In a cinema I find this remarkable. What with close proximity to others, heat, air conditioning and coughing if there is one single affected person in that audience, it’d pass around like wild fire.

I don't think it's that.  I think people think that wearing a mask in such an establishment is relatively pointless, particularly when you see MPs in parliament doing exactly the same.  People are beginning to see past the fear-mongering antics of the last 18 months and want to get on with it.

• Like 4

Guest Col city fan
56 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I don't think it's that.  I think people think that wearing a mask in such an establishment is relatively pointless, particularly when you see MPs in parliament doing exactly the same.  People are beginning to see past the fear-mongering antics of the last 18 months and want to get on with it.

The overwhelming evidence is that wearing masks makes a massive difference IF worn correctly 

33 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

I would guess it’s a couple of hundred max.

If you put a Leicester post code into the government covid dashboard you can see local healthcare stats which in this case is for the 3 hospitals in Leicestershire. ( Glenfield, General and Royal infirmary) There are 104 covid patients and 9 in ICU. The hospitals had about 50 ICU beds before the pandemic started although during the peaks they have created many more.

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

It shouldn’t be too difficult to declare positive cases per test lodged

on this note, does anyone have experience of lodging a positive LFT test result?  Does the system automatically register you for a PCR test or does it just advise you to get a PCR to confirm the LFT ?  I’m not convinced that our online systems are clever enough to distinguish between a positive LFT on a Tuesday and the positive confirmatory PCR on the Thursday.  I mean the lodged positive LFT is presumably part of the positive case numbers on the Tuesday.  What about the positive PCR on the Thursday. Is that just ignored?  Does anyone actually know for sure that it isn’t declared as another positive test result in Fridays numbers  ???

I understand that it is correctly adjusted both ways per individual.  

From the government dashboard it says.

Number of people with at least one positive COVID-19 test result, either lab-reported or rapid lateral flow test (England only), by specimen date. Positive rapid lateral flow test results can be confirmed with PCR tests taken within 72 hours. If the PCR test results are negative, these are not reported as cases. People tested positive more than once are only counted once, on the date of their first positive test. Data for the period ending 5 days before the date when the website was last updated with data for the selected area, highlighted in grey, are incomplete.

this is how it was first noticed that something odd was happening in south west as the cases for a day  started high and then went down far more than other areas as the (falsely) negative PCRs caused the LFRs to be removed 

Edited by Stivo
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I suggest it’s both 

I think there is certainly an element of this. I can't understand the apathy for mask wearing. Even if it reduces risk by 1% that is worth it. Also wearing one quite possibly reduces the risk of spreading and catching other respiratory diseases. Seems a no brainer to me but then maybe that is the reason why so few people wear them in certain settings.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

The overwhelming evidence is that wearing masks makes a massive difference IF worn correctly 

A correctly fitted KN95 mask will of course make a difference, a flimsy bit of material in and out of pockets, handbags, worn on the arm, never washed... less so.

10 minutes ago, reynard said:

I think there is certainly an element of this. I can't understand the apathy for mask wearing. Even if it reduces risk by 1% that is worth it. Also wearing one quite possibly reduces the risk of spreading and catching other respiratory diseases. Seems a no brainer to me but then maybe that is the reason why so few people wear them in certain settings.

So I take it you've worn a mask all your life?

10 minutes ago, Otis said:

So I take it you've worn a mask all your life?

Erm, should we take it you've never changed your behaviour in response to new information in your life?  Does that mean you never stopped using a potty to go number 2?  How does that work when you're out at a restaurant or something?

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

Erm, should we take it you've never changed your behaviour in response to new information in your life?  Does that mean you never stopped using a potty to go number 2?  How does that work when you're out at a restaurant or something?

He’s definitely been in our away end …..

17 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Weird.

I've known for many years how respiratory diseases are transferred. Seems it's a new concept to some people. 

5 minutes ago, Otis said:

Weird.

I've known for many years how respiratory diseases are transferred. Seems it's a new concept to some people. 

I am almost certain the covid pandemic hasn't existed your whole life though.  That would explain the potty thing if it has though.