Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

8 hours ago, tom27111 said:

We don't wear them at work, but I'd say the majority of customers do.

Most will then take them off if sitting at my desk and having a chat, which is fine with me. They do ask if they can.

I only have to wear a mask at work if a customer wants me to accompany them on a test drive.

I've got a screen at my desk too.

However, if I'm going in a shop, I will wear a mask.

I attended a day-long meeting at a church hall in Birmingham on Saturday. The room had about 30 middle-aged and elderly men in it, plus a couple of children. Apart from a bottle of handcream inside the entrance, there were no precautions and nobody wore a mask. The one I had was removed as I entered about half an hour late, in order to conform with the prevailing dress code. There was no social distancing and anyone present with the virus could easily have passed it on unknowingly. Despite lots of chat, the virus hardly got mentioned at all. It felt like an elephant may or may not have been in the room, so we all pretended it wasn't, as a way making sure it wasn't!

10 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

No joking matter.  Listening to the BBC news tonight and the state of mental health in this country and it's a sad, sad place to be.  We will look back in 10, 20, 30 years time and ask was this worth it?  Have the benefits outweighed the costs?

Someone needs to be held accountable.  Tip of the iceberg stuff on the news tonight.

I'll take that as a no then?

1 hour ago, String fellow said:

I attended a day-long meeting at a church hall in Birmingham on Saturday. The room had about 30 middle-aged and elderly men in it, plus a couple of children. Apart from a bottle of handcream inside the entrance, there were no precautions and nobody wore a mask. The one I had was removed as I entered about half an hour late, in order to conform with the prevailing dress code. There was no social distancing and anyone present with the virus could easily have passed it on unknowingly. Despite lots of chat, the virus hardly got mentioned at all. It felt like an elephant may or may not have been in the room, so we all pretended it wasn't, as a way making sure it wasn't!

It’ll be fine. I’m pretty sure a virus can only be present in a room if people talk about it.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

No joking matter.  Listening to the BBC news tonight and the state of mental health in this country and it's a sad, sad place to be.  We will look back in 10, 20, 30 years time and ask was this worth it?  Have the benefits outweighed the costs?

Someone needs to be held accountable.  Tip of the iceberg stuff on the news tonight.

Classic FT…..So he’s damned if he does damned if he doesn’t then? 

Edited by BKLFox

25 minutes ago, Soup said:

This vax mandate is fascinating. Front line workers all over the world are not having it at all. I wonder where it will all end 

https://www.dailysignal.com/2021/10/21/vaccine-mandates-decimating-police-forces-across-us/

Probably the same place where it has ended in other places/states that have already had their vax mandate deadline come and go. Lots of people complaining in the run up to it, yet when the legal routes have all failed and the deadline actually approaches the vast majority will get the jab and carry on as normal, and a small fraction will be stubborn and end up working at McDonald's or some shit. 

5 minutes ago, Buce said:

I've just had a gas engineer round to do the annual safety check who point blank refused to wear a mask, so I told him to do one.

He had the right hump about it.

Was his hump about the way you spoke to him about it? 

15 minutes ago, Buce said:

I've just had a gas engineer round to do the annual safety check who point blank refused to wear a mask, so I told him to do one.

Thankfully, most people in Wales are sticking to the rules and/or wearing a mask out of respect to the people they are visiting/working with.

Edited by jgtuk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Soup said:

This vax mandate is fascinating. Front line workers all over the world are not having it at all. I wonder where it will all end 

https://www.dailysignal.com/2021/10/21/vaccine-mandates-decimating-police-forces-across-us/

It'll end with us moaning about a shortage of workers because they've left and gone on to do something else, probably lol

14 hours ago, String fellow said:

I noticed the same thing yesterday - mask-wearing seems to be becoming a rarity in a lot of public settings. And if you're the only one with one on, the feeling of being on the moral high-ground is tempered somewhat by a feeling that everyone around thinks that you're a bit of a dick.  

no one knows your personal circumstances.  i don't get the feeling i'm being judged when wearing one.  if anyone gave me a look at the moment, i'd ask them if they'd like me to remove my mask given the covid infested house i'm currently living in!

4 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Oh right, well there we go then.

Was a sarcastic dig at the media and not a genuine comment by the way.

i think we're expecting a decline over the next month or so. the seven day average should start to reflect that although this week could be a tad early.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's pretty fantastic to be honest. Really good way of weeding out the people that shouldn't have been in public service in the first place. 

Take the report with a pinch of salt anyway. The Daily Signal is a right wing publication funded by The Heritage Foundation who are a right wing think tank owned by right wing billionaires. The Heritage Foundation are thought to be anti-vax climate change deniers funded to some extent by the tobacco industry.

43 minutes ago, Buce said:

I'd have thought that a gas engineer would be very mindfull of the risk of blowing himself up if the could smell gas whilst doing his job.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

I'd have thought that a gas engineer would be very mindfull of the risk of blowing himself up if the could smell gas whilst doing his job.

i.e. someone who wears a mask in enclosed spaces and therefore less likely to have lost their sense of smell due to having COVID?

3 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Probably the same place where it has ended in other places/states that have already had their vax mandate deadline come and go. Lots of people complaining in the run up to it, yet when the legal routes have all failed and the deadline actually approaches the vast majority will get the jab and carry on as normal, and a small fraction will be stubborn and end up working at McDonald's or some shit. 

What's wrong with working at MacDonald's?

9 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

Not according to doctors in Wales.

Covid: Concern at people behaving as if pandemic is over https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59034567

I can  only speak for my area around North Wales.  My wife travels and works in England and she said that there is a marked difference between there and our local communities.

That article is Cardiff centric.

Edited by jgtuk

1 hour ago, jgtuk said:

Take the report with a pinch of salt anyway. The Daily Signal is a right wing publication funded by The Heritage Foundation who are a right wing think tank owned by right wing billionaires. The Heritage Foundation are thought to be anti-vax climate change deniers funded to some extent by the tobacco industry.

Honestly? Someone that isn't funded by Pfizer, never