Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

My father in law (ex medic) is of the opinion that U14 should t have it because of the myocardial risk. Basically what the JVCI said.  The decision was taken out of our hands because our 13 y o caught it …….. given that most of his isolation is over half term, I guess we got lucky - Assuming there isn’t any long covid - it’s a very difficult decision.  Natural immunity is alway the best option. 

Yeah it's a really tough one.

As adults we have chosen to reduce the risk of a serious condition if we get it.

Weve asked our daughter and given her the choice and she said " yeah whatevs"!... she is we after all!!

Will be interesting  to hear other parents views.

17 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I've pointed this out three times already this year. :frusty: I find it utterly astonishing that even if something conforms to one's preconceptions, that in the rush for reinforcement, people neglect to take the time look into the agenda behind the source or even independently verify and check the veracity of the claims made. I understand that people don't like or want restrictions - genuinely, neither do I, but those opposed to them have resorted to often ludicrous levels of cherry picked confirmation bias and internet junk in order to support their beliefs. This thread is testimony not only to the polarisation of our society which is being torn asunder and deliberately engineered by social media but also the lengths that some will go to in order to impose their opinions. 

From ludicrous posts such as "it's been scientifically proven that facemasks don't work", to Mike Yeadon's absurd proclamations about herd immunity last December, Toby Young's tweets, Ivor Cummins' ridiculous You Tube videos, to the belief that the UK is a totalitarian regime. :doh:Then there was the posting of the fake ivermectin study, to members pointing to ****ing Brazil as an example of how to manage the infection lol - one in particular saying that he wanted to spend last Christmas out there. Jair Bolsonaro is now facing nine criminal charges including crimes against humanity. 

On the subject of facemasks, as @Otis correctly said, an unwashed loose piece of cloth will accomplish nothing, but why wouldn't you purchase some close fitting N95 masks? I've worn them for years cycling around London. I also wore them during the pandemic - not because it was mandated, but because I wanted to where appropriate. Moreover, not to protect myself from contracting SARS-CoV-19, but to reduce the risk of spreading it, particularly in closed, indoor poorly ventilated spaces. I didn't feel the need to clatter pots and pans outside my house in the spring and summer of 2020, but I did feel obligated to respect frontline health (and understated care workers), trying to operate in near impossible conditions and in view of the clinical burden that they face and the backlog in other treatments. This has not gone away as people on here seem to think, simply because they can now enjoy several pints in the pub before going to the match. We need to be very mindful of the possibility of local outbreaks/superspreading events that may place further strain on hospitals, healthcare trusts and most importantly the healthcare workers themselves in addition to the influx of seasonal illnesses. - And frankly in respect of that, I don't give a ****ing shit what anyone's football forum opinions about further restrictions are. 

I posted several times over the summer about the extensive research into the efficacy of hybrid vaccinations and the history of this. Needle in a haystack on this thread I concede. You have every right to remain dubious, but I'd be more than happy to provide you with some information on this. The science behind it is fascinating. 

Actually, regarding this thread, I might start bumping some of the ridiculous posts I'm referred to that some people are now completely in denial of. That's another thing that bugs me about social media - the learned revisionism. I have a very good memory. 

I’ve seen you, several times in this thread alone, citing peer reviewed research and explaining in plain English the arguments for mask wearing, social distancing and vaccination and still some on here are at best confused, unsure or in denial. I don’t know what else you can do really but I personally really appreciate the information and support you’ve added to the thread. 👏🏻👏🏻
Now go and bump those ridiculous posts please. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Why don’t you want to mix it? 

I'd just rather not tbh. I'm not sure if the under 40's will be mixing? So if they'll be sticking to the same vaccine then I should be allowed to also. I honestly don't think that's to much to ask is it? 

@Line-X I think I remember you posting something regarding the benefits of mixing but can't actually remember too much of how it read. Like I just said though I'm not keen really can't see why it's an issue. After all I'm not refusing the vaccine I am.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I've pointed this out three times already this year. :frusty: I find it utterly astonishing that even if something conforms to one's preconceptions, that in the rush for reinforcement, people neglect to take the time look into the agenda behind the source or even independently verify and check the veracity of the claims made. I understand that people don't like or want restrictions - genuinely, neither do I, but those opposed to them have resorted to often ludicrous levels of cherry picked confirmation bias and internet junk in order to support their beliefs. This thread is testimony not only to the polarisation of our society which is being torn asunder and deliberately engineered by social media but also the lengths that some will go to in order to impose their opinions. 

From ludicrous posts such as "it's been scientifically proven that facemasks don't work", to Mike Yeadon's absurd proclamations about herd immunity last December, Toby Young's tweets, Ivor Cummins' ridiculous You Tube videos, to the belief that the UK is a totalitarian regime. :doh:Then there was the posting of the fake ivermectin study, to members pointing to ****ing Brazil as an example of how to manage the infection lol - one in particular saying that he wanted to spend last Christmas out there. Jair Bolsonaro is now facing nine criminal charges including crimes against humanity. 

On the subject of facemasks, as @Otis correctly said, an unwashed loose piece of cloth will accomplish nothing, but why wouldn't you purchase some close fitting N95 masks? I've worn them for years cycling around London. I also wore them during the pandemic - not because it was mandated, but because I wanted to where appropriate. Moreover, not to protect myself from contracting SARS-CoV-19, but to reduce the risk of spreading it, particularly in closed, indoor poorly ventilated spaces. I didn't feel the need to clatter pots and pans outside my house in the spring and summer of 2020, but I did feel obligated to respect frontline health (and understated care workers), trying to operate in near impossible conditions and in view of the clinical burden that they face and the backlog in other treatments. This has not gone away as people on here seem to think, simply because they can now enjoy several pints in the pub before going to the match. We need to be very mindful of the possibility of local outbreaks/superspreading events that may place further strain on hospitals, healthcare trusts and most importantly the healthcare workers themselves in addition to the influx of seasonal illnesses. - And frankly in respect of that, I don't give a ****ing shit what anyone's football forum opinions about further restrictions are. 

I posted several times over the summer about the extensive research into the efficacy of hybrid vaccinations and the history of this. Needle in a haystack on this thread I concede. You have every right to remain dubious, but I'd be more than happy to provide you with some information on this. The science behind it is fascinating. 

Actually, regarding this thread, I might start bumping some of the ridiculous posts I'm referred to that some people are now completely in denial of. That's another thing that bugs me about social media - the learned revisionism. I have a very good memory. 

@Line-XWhat's your opinion on +13 year olds getting vaccinated as you do seem to be level headed and knowledgeable.

Edited by Raj

7 minutes ago, Raj said:

@Line-XWhat's your opinion on +13 year olds getting vaccinated as you do seem to be level headed and knowledgeable.

He's busy searching for all those old posts lol

My daughter is 14 and would have had it, but she's just had Covid so won't need it for now. My other teenager is 17 and somehow avoided the virus in a household of 5 where everyone else had it. He says he's going to get the vaccine, but I tried booking it for him while he was with me last week, and we couldn't get an appointment in Leicestershire! 

• Thanks 1

Just now, FoxesDeb said:

My daughter is 14 and would have had it, but she's just had Covid so won't need it for now. My other teenager is 17 and somehow avoided the virus in a household of 5 where everyone else had it. He says he's going to get the vaccine, but I tried booking it for him while he was with me last week, and we couldn't get an appointment in Leicestershire

I booked my daughter in for 7th Nov at Peepul center.

Have you tried the nhs link.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/

• Thanks 1

Just now, Raj said:

I booked my daughter in for 7th Nov at Peepul center.

Have you tried the nhs link.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/

Thanks, did you have to book both doses at the same time? It was the NHS app we used, and I could get the first appointment OK, but nothing for the second closer than Coventry or Nottingham. It wouldn't then let me book just the first one... 

36 minutes ago, Raj said:

What's people thoughts on giving +13's the vaccine?

We've booked my daughter in for one as she is at Secondary school where the cases of positives were very high.

However  the risk of something serious happening to them is pretty low anyway?

@Izzy did you get your kids vaccinated?

Funnily enough mate we had letters through for both kids from the NHS today. My 12 year old boy had Covid in the summer so reckons he doesn't need the vaccine, but my 15 year old daughter is desperate to have it.

Personally, I'd rather they both had it but the wife can't make her mind up. She's heard something that it could cause infertility so that's put her off a bit.

I dunno, I suspect they'll both end up having it but fvck knows really.

Just now, FoxesDeb said:

Thanks, did you have to book both doses at the same time? It was the NHS app we used, and I could get the first appointment OK, but nothing for the second closer than Coventry or Nottingham. It wouldn't then let me book just the first one... 

Just the first one only.

Dont think +13's need the 2nd dose do they?

13 minutes ago, Soup said:

I'd just rather not tbh. I'm not sure if the under 40's will be mixing? So if they'll be sticking to the same vaccine then I should be allowed to also. I honestly don't think that's to much to ask is it? 

@Line-X I think I remember you posting something regarding the benefits of mixing but can't actually remember too much of how it read. Like I just said though I'm not keen really can't see why it's an issue. After all I'm not refusing the vaccine I am.

You are ignoring medical advice, you don’t really get to pick and choose your treatment on the NHS. If you want it, that is your option. 

Whilst I understand your trepidation, the vaccine you had isn’t still in your system, that was all gone within days or weeks. Merely the immune response remains that your body was taught.

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Funnily enough mate we had letters through for both kids from the NHS today. My 12 year old boy had Covid in the summer so reckons he doesn't need the vaccine, but my 15 year old daughter is desperate to have it.

Personally, I'd rather they both had it but the wife can't make her mind up. She's heard something that it could cause infertility so that's put her off a bit.

You probably already know but the infertility rumour is a crock… There’s loads of information available. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

You are ignoring medical advice, you don’t really get to pick and choose your treatment on the NHS. If you want it, that is your option. 

Whilst I understand your trepidation, the vaccine you had isn’t still in your system, that was all gone within days or weeks. Merely the immune response remains that your body was taught.

What's the score with the under 40's then? Have you heard if they'll be mixing if mixing is so beneficial?

For those parents here whose kids have had the virus, might I ask what sort of experience they had? We’re they symptomatic at all? How did their experience compare with catching a cold?

Edit: Genuine question by the way. I am curious what real world experiences are.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

We got the letter today too.

The infertility bit has worried me now?

The more you look into it on tiniternet the more you will end up worrying about it.

I might ask the GP but by the time we get through to speak to one itll be 2022!

4 minutes ago, Soup said:

It isn't an issue. I simply thought you might be interested in the emergent research surrounding mixed/heterologous vaccination schedule and the potent immune response associated with this. In addition to this, the arguments for reducing wastage and also in respect of low income countries that don't have stockpiles are very strong. Historically, vaccine doses from different manufacturers has rarely been authorised for other diseases and a manufacturer was never about to put money into determining whether their product mixes with other brands. There is no financial incentive for them to do that. Further, the WHO has warned individuals not to become your own vaccine advisory committee and arbitrarily choose what vaccine to have. It will be a chaotic situation "if citizens start deciding when and who will be taking a second, a third and a fourth dose".

17 minutes ago, Raj said:

Because children are at such low risk from the virus, some have argued that vaccination would offer only "marginal gain" and, therefore, there was insufficient evidence to offer mass vaccination for 13 - 15 year olds. They can however transmit it of course. As @st albans fox mentioned, myocarditis is a serious side effect - but is nonetheless extremely rare. 

11 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

A compilation post would make very entertaining reading though wouldn't it? 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

For those parents here whose kids have had the virus, might I ask what sort of experience they had? We’re they symptomatic at all? How did their experience compare with catching a cold?

We thought my daughter had a cold until she tested positive, her symptoms were so similar. My eldest lost his sense of smell, but that was all. Very thankful they got away with it lightly, as long as they escape long covid anyway. I don't know how the middle one got away with it, maybe he'd previously been exposed. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Edit: Genuine question by the way. I am curious what real world experiences are.

My lad (9 now) had an antibody test that confirmed he'd had it, and was presumably completely asymptomatic as we couldn't remember him even having had a cold at any point since COVID had been around

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Izzy said:

She needs to get off those Facebook nonsense groups Raj ! 

7 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Both my youngest boys had what I would describe as a bad cold 

7 minutes ago, Raj said:

We got the letter today too.

The infertility bit has worried me now?

The more you look into it on tiniternet the more you will end up worrying about it.

I might ask the GP but by the time we get through to speak to one itll be 2022!

Why?  It’s codswallop. ……surely there is no immune response that could lead to infertility (be it male or female.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Soup said:

What's the score with the under 40's then? Have you heard if they'll be mixing if mixing is so beneficial?

That’s nothing to do with the mixing and merely down the the risk / reward calculation of Pfizer v Astrazenica for different age groups. 

Astra’ was linked to the clotting (more so in younger ages than older ), albeit a very rare occurrence. Because of that small risk, it was deemed Pfizer was better for those with a lower Covid risk eg. <40 and thus they will get the Pfizer. Where as >40’s are at more risk from Covid, and thus get Astra’ as an option also (because Astra doesn’t clot as much in older compared to younger… still very rare)

I think the boosters are all Pfizer aren’t they. Personally I’d be happy, as there are less reactions to that than Astra’.

20 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Tell her not to worry, because as long as you have a drink of water within 1 hour of having the jab, it's proven that it won't make you infertile.  And you read it on the internet!

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

That’s nothing to do with the mixing and merely down the the risk / reward calculation of Pfizer v Astrazenica for different age groups. 

Astra’ was linked to the clotting (more so in younger ages than older ), albeit a very rare occurrence. Because of that small risk, it was deemed Pfizer was better for those with a lower Covid risk eg. <40 and thus they will get the Pfizer. Where as >40’s are at more risk from Covid, and thus get Astra’ as an option also (because Astra doesn’t clot as much in older compared to younger… still very rare)

I think the boosters are all Pfizer aren’t they. Personally I’d be happy, as there are less reactions to that than Astra’.

Thanks for the advice. I'll leave it then or at least push it to the limit of if/when I lose any rights to do things. Seems mad that I'll be classed as anti vax when I'm perfectly willing to take a certain shot. Mad world.

52 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

My father in law (ex medic) is of the opinion that U14 shouldn't have it because of the marginal myocardial risk. Basically what the JVCI said.  The decision was taken out of our hands because our 13 y o caught it …….. given that most of his isolation is over half term, I guess we got lucky - Assuming there isn’t any long covid - it’s a very difficult decision.  Natural immunity is alway the best option. 

Out of interest, how long does natural immunity last? Is it like a virus such as chicken pox in that once you catch it you’re extremely unlikely to catch it again. I do know people who’ve tested positive for covid a couple of times but from what I can gather, tests are not that reliable once you’ve caught it’ as they pick up traces for quite a while after.

42 minutes ago, Soup said:

Just whack it in yer, you can’t beat a good cocktail 

32 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I'm not sure where I am with my kids. My eldest (13) says he doesn't wan't it. Have not had the discussion with the ex wife about it (too busy battling over divorce!) .

I'd probably swing behind him having it, and will try to persuade him, but if he doesn't want it I guess I can't force him?

2 minutes ago, Soup said:

Thanks for the advice. I'll leave it then or at least push it to the limit of if/when I lose any rights to do things. Seems mad that I'll be classed as anti vax when I'm perfectly willing to take a certain shot. Mad world.

You are about 1 in 100,000 to get a clot (that’s just a clot, might not even de deadly).

For comparison, Bee sting death 60,000 to 1, death at work 43,000 to 1, car crash death 8000 - 1.

• Like 1