Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

It's worth adding a balanced perspective here. The very high rates of infection in schools will drive up natural immunity in children turning the epidemic over. Whether rates will fall over the next few months or by how much nonetheless does not detract from the fact that the government is committed to avoiding imposing further measures and restrictions - which is all this pandemic has ever been about to some that post on here. The introduction of antivirals for the elderly and vulnerable which can be taken at home, in addition to the roll out of boosters means that although this could still go either way, some of the more doom laden forecasts for the winter are I suspect unlikely.  Saying that, I can't reiterate enough the value of wearing a facemask in confined or poorly ventilated areas or around the elderly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

I think that's what peeves me most. Nobody should need a reason NOT to take it. 'I just don't' is perfectly acceptable. Though not obviously acceptable to the holier than thou 'but you'll kill people with your selfish actions' brigade 

But, I agree with you, peddling flimsy anti vax theories is odd and selfish in its own way.

I'm just hoping by the time my kids get to 18, this whole fuss/panic/obsession will have blown over (and my hunch is it will have done by mid 2023 latest) and jabs become as banal and unsought after as flu jabs are.  

Fear is a very natural reaction, I'm sure that's what drives most of it. I'm happy to have the jab myself, don't believe a word of the conspiracy stuff, but understand reactions can happen to them. If someone said to me "You can have your two year old vaccinated", I'd have extreme mixed reactions about that, and honestly I wouldn't be shocked If I declined it at that age. 

17 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

I'm not sure where I am with my kids. My eldest (13) says he doesn't wan't it. Have not had the discussion with the ex wife about it (too busy battling over divorce!) .

I'd probably swing behind him having it, and will try to persuade him, but if he doesn't want it I guess I can't force him?

I would ask him why he is so ok with putting loved ones and those around him at more risk?

39 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

He’s 13 for fvcksake. If he doesn’t want it he doesn’t want he’s a fvcking child.

A 13 year old is capable of empathy.

I didn't want vaccines as a kid, I was made to get them for the good of myself and those around me, like most children with sane parents are.

Edited by z-layrex
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, z-layrex said:

Why? Should children not be having the MMR or Hib/Men C vaccine? Should they go back to dying of these diseases?

You're making a fool of yourself dude. Kids take those vaccines as they can die of those ailments. 

They get, at worst, a bad headache and sniffles with Covid

Risk vs reward etc 

• Like 1

Just now, Paninistickers said:

You're making a fool of yourself dude. Kids take those vaccines as they can die of those ailments. 

Risk vs reward etc 

It makes them less likely to kill their 52 year old overweight Dad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Risk vs reward etc 

Tbf, we have vaccines for those diseases to protect all children don't we? The chances of individuals dying was still fairly slim I thought, but I may be wrong. I thought the whole idea of vaccination was to protect the wider community as well as individuals, with the exception of the HPV :dunno: 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Is a PCR likely to detect Covid earlier than a lateral flow?

As mentioned my 10 year old has it and I felt like death this morning.

Lateral flow says negative but have just done a PCR as Work want me to before I can go in.

Yes, my lateral flows stayed negative for days when I had covid. When they're positive they're extremely reliable.

Oh and feel better soon.

Edited by z-layrex
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

Tbf, we have vaccines for those diseases to protect all children don't we? The chances of individuals dying was still fairly slim I thought, but I may be wrong. I thought the whole idea of vaccination was to protect the wider community as well as individuals, with the exception of the HPV :dunno: 

Yep, true. 

But if you gave me a choice of my kids getting covid, I wouldn't bat an eyelid and just roll ...but if you said they can get meningitis or help c, I'd jab them with my own hands against those 

22 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Yep, true. 

But if you gave me a choice of my kids getting covid, I wouldn't bat an eyelid and just roll ...but if you said they can get meningitis or help c, I'd jab them with my own hands against those 

Is long covid not a thing for kids, or is it just less likely than vaccine side effects for kids?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Yep, true. 

Did you vaccinate your children with the MMR?  I did, despite having all three illnesses as a child with no consequences myself, and knowing absolutely no children who had had them when I was pregnant, nor when my children were young. My decision wasn't solely based on whether or not my children would possibly contract the seemingly non existant diseases at the time, but for those who weren't vaccinated. It's a social thing, surely? Herd immunity through vaccination for the greater population? 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

It makes them less likely to kill their 52 year old overweight Dad.

Well I'm guessing that parents will have taken the vaccine and if the dad is that fat the then he should lose some weight and protect himself further. Is our culture that lazy that we use kids as human shields for fat people?

Edited by Soup
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Did you vaccinate your children with the MMR?  I did, despite having all three illnesses as a child with no consequences myself, and knowing absolutely no children who had had them when I was pregnant, nor when my children were young. My decision wasn't solely based on whether or not my children would possibly contract the seemingly non existant diseases at the time, but for those who weren't vaccinated. It's a social thing, surely? Herd immunity through vaccination for the greater population? 

Yeah, I largely agree it's not all about self. But I get a bit fed up with old, fat fckers expecting kids of strangers to  help out yet.more when they've already had a vaccine themselves.  It's not something I'd expect from.others for myself..it's helluva big ask.

I've done my bit for society by having  jabs against a disease I personally couldn't give two hoots about. . But I draw the line at the kids making that same commitment. 

It sounds super harsh, but my job is to protect the kids. And right now, with 80 odd % of the population vaccinated,  that's far enough

Whereas MMR, TB, Meningitis was largely to protect kids from.what is, for some, deadly. I don't think the comparison is like for like.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Yeah, I largely agree it's not all about self. But I get a bit fed up with old, fat fckers expecting kids of strangers to  help out yet.more when they've already had a vaccine themselves.  It's not something I'd expect from.others for myself..it's helluva big ask.

I've done my bit for society by having  jabs against a disease I personally couldn't give two hoots about. . But I draw the line at the kids making that same commitment. 

It sounds super harsh, but my job is to protect the kids. And right now, with 80 odd % of the population vaccinated,  that's far enough

Whereas MMR, TB, Meningitis was largely to protect kids from.what is, for some, deadly. I don't think the comparison is like for like.

I think the comparison is similar, the only difference is between children and adults. So what you're essentially saying, and please correct me if I am wrong, is that it's okay for children to be vaccinated against something that might kill children, but not against something that might kill adults? 

If the situation with Covid was reversed I would vaccinate myself without hesitation to protect the children, so I don't see how this is any different tbh 

• Thanks 1