Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, Rain King said:

Is a PCR likely to detect Covid earlier than a lateral flow?

As mentioned my 10 year old has it and I felt like death this morning.

Lateral flow says negative but have just done a PCR as Work want me to before I can go in.

I didn't test positive on a LFT until day 4 of symptoms

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rain King said:

Is a PCR likely to detect Covid earlier than a lateral flow?

As mentioned my 10 year old has it and I felt like death this morning.

Lateral flow says negative but have just done a PCR as Work want me to before I can go in.

My experience with my two kids over the past week was that they tested neg on LFT for a day or two even with symptoms and then once positive they stayed positive on them for up to seven days 

the line got progressively lighter as they fought it off 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I think the comparison is similar, the only difference is between children and adults. So what you're essentially saying, and please correct me if I am wrong, is that it's okay for children to be vaccinated against something that might kill children, but not against something that might kill adults? 

If the situation with Covid was reversed I would vaccinate myself without hesitation to protect the children, so I don't see how this is any different tbh 

.....that's natural and so would I (and indeed have, seeing as I'm at close to zero risk of dying of covid but took one for an easy life and judged it as an acceptable risk to get the economy / normal.life going again) 

But emotionally blackmailing kids (as z-layrex suggests) to protect overweight 55 year olds is unnatural. 

I'd be ashamed of myself if I was that 55 year old, wanting  kids to faff about with vaccines over me. 

(I'm well aware that doesn't put me in a good light!)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

.....that's natural and so would I (and indeed have, seeing as I'm at close to zero risk of dying of covid but took one for an easy life and judged it as an acceptable risk to get the economy / normal.life going again) 

But emotionally blackmailing kids (as z-layrex suggests) to protect overweight 55 year olds is unnatural. 

I'd be ashamed of myself if I was that 55 year old, wanting  kids to faff about with vaccines over me. 

I think you and I have always agreed on the basics throughout this whole thing, albeit we might approach it in different ways 🤔 

If the overweight 55 year old needs my (and my children's) help with herd immunity through vaccination to avoid them dying I am happy to comply. I would also hope that were Covid to affect the youngsters the way it has the older generation, the overweight 55 year olds would be equally obliging. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

You have no idea what you are talking about, I'll happily "emotionally blackmail" a 13 year old into being responsible and caring about his family and those around him, because it's a **** lot better than what the icu staff have been through since March 2020.

20 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I think you and I have always agreed on the basics throughout this whole thing, albeit we might approach it in different ways 🤔 

If the overweight 55 year old needs my (and my children's) help with herd immunity through vaccination to avoid them dying I am happy to comply. I would also hope that were Covid to affect the youngsters the way it has the older generation, the overweight 55 year olds would be equally obliging. 

We'll agree to disagree on this particular point! .... you're still one of my fave posters tho x 😘

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

You're making a fool of yourself dude. Kids take those vaccines as they can die of those ailments. 

They get, at worst, a bad headache and sniffles with Covid

Risk vs reward etc 

This post is just about as stupid as it gets

2 hours ago, z-layrex said:

It makes them less likely to kill their 52 year old overweight Dad.

This however, isn't.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

I don't think  z-layrex is suggesting "emotionally blackmailing" kids and has said as much in his post re: MMR etc. It's about making a judgement.

You might not be concerned that your unvaccinated offspring could be a carrier and risk infecting others he comes into contact with but that in itself is "unnatural". Do have a grudge against the overweight 55 year olds?

What if you were that overweight 55 year old dad who's kids didn't have the vaccine that then brought it home? What if one their teacher happens to an overweight 55 yr old and gets infected from you child and then goes to ICU? 

Would you be OK with that?

Edited by Parafox

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

You're making a fool of yourself dude. Kids take those vaccines as they can die of those ailments. 

They get, at worst, a bad headache and sniffles with Covid

Risk vs reward etc 

Eh… there have been more Covid deaths in children the last year than there have been measles deaths in the about the last 20 years from what I’ve just looked at. 

Hospitalisations in 0-4 year olds are currently not far off what they are for 25-44 years olds per 100k.

The suggestion they can’t get anything but the sniffles is ludicrous.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Eh… there have been more Covid deaths in children the last year than there have been measles deaths in the about the last 20 years from what I’ve just looked at. 

Hospitalisations in 0-4 year olds are currently not far off what they are for 25-44 years olds per 100k.

The suggestion they can’t get anything but the sniffles is ludicrous.

No but, every single child who has tested positive for Covid that I know of has only had 1 day of sniffles then running and for the next 9 days of their isolation. Whereas the older generation who have caught it many suffered worse effects. 

Vaccines should be prioritised for the older vulnerable people. As the vaccine will not stop you from passing it on or contracting it as proven today by the double jabbed and double masked Keir Starmer who has today tested positive. 

42 minutes ago, Otis said:

No but, every single child who has tested positive for Covid that I know of has only had 1 day of sniffles then running and for the next 9 days of their isolation. Whereas the older generation who have caught it many suffered worse effects. 

Unless you know every single child in the UK, your point isn't relevant. 

Vaccines should be prioritised for the older vulnerable people. 

They are. 

As the vaccine will not stop you from passing it on or contracting it 

Incorrect

the double jabbed and double masked Keir Starmer who has today tested positive. 

Vaccines aren't 100% effective, we all know this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Otis said:

Vaccines should be prioritised for the older vulnerable people. As the vaccine will not stop you from passing it on or contracting it as proven today by the double jabbed and double masked Keir Starmer who has today tested positive. 

Despite the fact that this has been not only done to death on here, but it's also been common knowledge for around 18 months now, I have to ask. You do know that masks protect other people and not the wearer, surely? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Despite the fact that this has been not only done to death on here, but it's also been common knowledge for around 18 months now, I have to ask. You do know that masks protect other people and not the wearer, surely? 

Right sure, that's why people wear them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Babylon said:
1 hour ago, Otis said:

Unless you know every single child in the UK, your point isn't relevant

Just explaining that children are at less risk than the older generation. 

30 minutes ago, Otis said:

Really? Then how have millions done exactly this?

It reduces transmission, if you are vaccinated you are less likely to pass it on and if everyone is vaccinated you are less likely to catch it as they are less likely to pass it on to you.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2294250-how-much-less-likely-are-you-to-spread-covid-19-if-youre-vaccinated/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can anyone give me any advice. As mentioned me and my son both have it. Partner is OK at the minute but has been told to do a PCR as two people in the house have it.

She's told work that she's going for a PCR in the morning as advised and asked if she should stay at home due to it being rife in our household. The boss has told her she doesn't need to go for one and expects her in work tomorrow evening.

Edited by Rain King

Just now, Rain King said:

Can anyone give me any advice. As mentioned me and my son both have it. Partner is OK at the minute but has been told to do a PCR as two people in the house have it.

She's told work that she's going for a PCR in the morning as advisedand asked if she should stay at home due to it being rife in our household. The boss has told her she doesn't need to go for one and expects her in work tomorrow evening.

If she is vaccinated there is no requirement to isolate unless she tests positive. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It reduces transmission, if you are vaccinated you are less likely to pass it on and if everyone is vaccinated you are less likely to catch it as they are less likely to pass it on to you.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2294250-how-much-less-likely-are-you-to-spread-covid-19-if-youre-vaccinated/

That's not what I said though, re-read it.

Also with the amount of transmission at the minute I'm not sure the vaccine reduces it too much unless this is due to the vaccine effectiveness waining.

1 minute ago, Otis said:

That's not what I said though, re-read it.

Also with the amount of transmission at the minute I'm not sure the vaccine reduces it too much unless this is due to the vaccine effectiveness waining.

You are 63% less likely to pass it on. Stop thinking I’m absolutes, it is not 100% effective, it’s been said from day one, we all   know this, so examples of x or y person getting it are meaningless. 

• Like 2