Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

7 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

"Having a goalkeeper in your team stops the other team scoring"

"Curious, you say that but I see you've conceded a goal in your last 5 matches, instead of being a sheep I'm going to think for myself and play without any goalkeepers from now on, checkmate"

Thanks for agreeing with me.

A goalkeeper only attempts to stop a goal. 

4 minutes ago, Otis said:

No I'm looking at the data and suggesting why case rates aren't decreasing with more a more people being vaccinated everyday. Or am I not allowed an opinion?

Have a good night. 

It’s because we have no mask mandate and or social distancing. Probably. 
There you go, I’ve fixed it. 

2 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Thanks, I couldn’t be bothered looking for evidence even though I knew it was there. 

This is one of my favourites from the same month last year...

On 20/11/2020 at 18:46, Legend_in_blue said:

It can be a biochemical engineer in Ivor Cummins, or an expert in a relatively closer field, but the weeks go by and the data continues to show that lockdown is essentially ineffective.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Otis said:

Probably???? But you're not sure, just your opinion. 

Honestly, I don’t know what to say to you. You can’t even see sarcasm in front of you (even though there is more evidence to suggest the statement is correct). 

16 minutes ago, Otis said:

Thanks for agreeing with me.

A goalkeeper only attempts to stop a goal. 

And yet without one the rate at which you concede goals would dramatically increase.  If that analogy doesn't simplify the concept enough for you then you either have no hope of understanding or you have a vested interest in misleading people.

• Like 1

Surely the answer to whether lockdowns work or not, depends on what the question is?  If we want something to eliminate coronavirus, lockdowns don't work.  If we want something to delay coronavirus until we have some other way of stopping or mitigating coronavirus, they do work.  But of course we don't want either of those things.  What we want is a way of fighting off the effects of coronavirus while not allowing the negative effects of lockdown to exceed its benefits - and when that's the question, then in some circumstances they work, in others they don't, and in many, many more there are good arguments in both directions.

It's just like the question about vaccinations stopping the spread.  The answer is far too complex for a straight yes or no.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

Eh… there have been more Covid deaths in children the last year than there have been measles deaths in the about the last 20 years from what I’ve just looked at. 

Hospitalisations in 0-4 year olds are currently not far off what they are for 25-44 years olds per 100k.

The suggestion they can’t get anything but the sniffles is ludicrous.

I think a fairer comparison would be with RSV.  It's not only a respiratory virus but it's also far more dangerous than measles has been at any time since the mid-sixties.

40 minutes ago, Line-X said:

...And it seems we have a winner. 

Genuinely, you couldn't make this up. 

I know I'm a burnt out miserable nurse now, but I think I'm struggling more with the realisation of just how many ****ing stupid, narcissistic and selfish people there are on this island. I'm still having trouble coming to terms with it. Every time I make the mistake of interacting with this thread it just depresses me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

I know I'm a burnt out miserable nurse now, but I think I'm struggling more with the realisation of just how many ****ing stupid, narcissistic and selfish people there are on this island. I'm still having trouble coming to terms with it. Every time I make the mistake of interacting with this thread it just depresses me.

Apologies, I probably dragged you into it somewhat. I share your frustration. 
Thanks for the valuable work you’ve done, I can’t begin to imagine how you feel. 
peace.

3 hours ago, Otis said:

You won't admit you were wrong will you.

Nothing is as black and white as your statements suggest. To use an analogy, the statement that seatbelts stop people dying would be accepted by most normal people. Nevertheless, some people wearing seatbelts do still die in accidents. The two statements are not incompatible. By your logic, we may as well dispense with seatbelts.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Otis said:

Backing up my claim that the vaccine doesn't stop transmission. And I was called incorrect by babylon and accused of spreading missinformation by yourself. 

And the man says he’s not talking in absolutes. 

Are you literally that stupid that you don’t understand that you can reduce the chance of something happening, without completely stopping it?

You said it doesn’t stop spread, it does. Does it stop all spread, no.

5 hours ago, pazzerfox said:

"However, the data used only went up to 24 March, before delta became dominant. The team is now using more recent data to work out the impact of delta, says Prunas".

This seems way outdated!

Not if you click on the links to the Dutch paper they are quoting. 

5 hours ago, Otis said:

Backing up my claim that the vaccine doesn't stop transmission. And I was called incorrect by babylon and accused of spreading missinformation by yourself. 

Because it does stop transmission, just not all transmission. Why is this so hard to comprehend lol

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/one-dose-of-covid-19-vaccine-can-cut-household-transmission-by-up-to-half

5 hours ago, Otis said:

No I'm looking at the data and suggesting why case rates aren't decreasing with more a more people being vaccinated everyday. Or am I not allowed an opinion?

Have a good night. 

You know who the biggest driver of infection is… UNVACCINATED children. Why do you think that would be?

9 hours ago, Rain King said:

That's fair enough and sure it's what she'll do but the boss will be gutted if it's passed through the office.

I would strongly advise her to take an LFT before leaving the house. To not do so could be considered irresponsible given your circumstances.  Whilst the LFT isn’t going to be right all of the time (as your experience has shown), it is something that can be easily done and there are studies ongoing to determine if those with negative LFT results with positive PCR’s are as infectious and therefore a danger to the community.

7 hours ago, Rain King said:

Well this no fun. Temperature of 38.8 and freezing my bollocks off.

38.8?  I went to 40.5 in the early days!  It was pretty ugly.  The best way of dealing with it is to imagine how bad you’d be feeling without a vaccine to lessen the effects on you. That’s obviously from a mental perspective and paracetamol is the correct answer!