Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

2 hours ago, Buce said:

How do they avoid fallout from everything else they do?

Tame press, apothetic electorate - take your pick.

Correct. 

But open your mouth to eat a bacon sandwich, with a photographer auto snapping 50 shots inside 3 seconds who selects the most ungainly pic....cue Mail, Sun, Express and the public going hell for leather at the 'offending' politician 

17 minutes ago, Babylon said:

We are though aren’t we. General public aren’t forced to take anything. Negative and immune tests get access to everything double jabs does. 

I’m double jabbed and still got it. It was ludicrous for the government to have even considered penalising the unvaxxed. You’d need a 99% efficacy for something like that to be considered.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Because he was making a joke and everybody realised he was making a joke ?

Many a true word is said in jest. And too often "it's a joke" is used as a smokescreen for prejudice. It's not like the individual involved doesn't have his own prejudices, is it?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Many a true word is said in jest. And too often "it's a joke" is used as a smokescreen for prejudice. It's not like the individual involved doesn't have his own prejudices, is it?

Of course JRM is an oddball but I've watched the clip several times and it was clearly a joke.

Plenty of sticks to beat the Govt with but not sure this really is one of them.

5 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Of course JRM is an oddball but I've watched the clip several times and it was clearly a joke.

Plenty of sticks to beat the Govt with but not sure this really is one of them.

So there was no correlation to him sitting on the front bench yesterday without a mask on whilst nearly all his cabinet colleagues wore one ??

If it was an attempt at humour then I simply don’t understand why he would try to use humour in that exchange unless he was just trying to avoid the question completely  ?? 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, phoneticerror said:

I’m double jabbed and still got it. It was ludicrous for the government to have even considered penalising the unvaxxed. You’d need a 99% efficacy for something like that to be considered.

Why is it? If nobody took up the vaccine we would still be in lockdowns. It was never about stopping transmission, that is an impossible target. Yes, the vaccine does reduce transmission slightly but not enough to allow us to live "freely". What it has done is protect people and allow the country to be fully reopened without overfilling hospitals and mortuaries. You just need to look at data and see that cases right now are reaching the highest point but hospitalisations and deaths are much much lower than at the same point about a year ago. And what started happening at that point? Vaccinations.

In an ideal world (and certainly going forward), unvaccinated will not be penalised as much but right now it's the right thing to do to prevent any further escalations of hospitalisations/deaths. I think if there was no penalising, the vaccine uptake would be too low to allow the country to reopen. Too many selfish people around for that. When I got the vaccine, it was not for me, it was for those around me and to allow life to return to some sort of normality. The booster jabs are going to be important (like the flu jab) on a yearly basis to top up those most at risk. Still too early to say if it will be beneficial for everyone to get boosters or limit to those vulnerable groups (depends on logistical challenges etc.).

19 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Why is it? If nobody took up the vaccine we would still be in lockdowns. It was never about stopping transmission, that is an impossible target. Yes, the vaccine does reduce transmission slightly but not enough to allow us to live "freely". What it has done is protect people and allow the country to be fully reopened without overfilling hospitals and mortuaries. You just need to look at data and see that cases right now are reaching the highest point but hospitalisations and deaths are much much lower than at the same point about a year ago. And what started happening at that point? Vaccinations.

In an ideal world (and certainly going forward), unvaccinated will not be penalised as much but right now it's the right thing to do to prevent any further escalations of hospitalisations/deaths. I think if there was no penalising, the vaccine uptake would be too low to allow the country to reopen. Too many selfish people around for that. When I got the vaccine, it was not for me, it was for those around me and to allow life to return to some sort of normality. The booster jabs are going to be important (like the flu jab) on a yearly basis to top up those most at risk. Still too early to say if it will be beneficial for everyone to get boosters or limit to those vulnerable groups (depends on logistical challenges etc.).

Keeping people away from events because they’ve made the foolish decision to risk their own lives isn’t going to impact the ones that have had the vaccine. Me being double vaxxed can spread it just as easily as somebody who hasn’t had a jab. The difference is they’re more likely to die, and quite frankly that’s their decision to make.

18 hours ago, String fellow said:

This sounds like a case of phantosmia. Olfactory dysfunction of this type is likely to be temporary damage to the sinonasal epithelium, which should disappear within 30 days of onset. However, medical opinion seems somewhat divided as to the cause of long-term anosmia, parosmia and phantosmia, some believing it to be a neurological or even a psychological condition.

Fortunately it’s started to ease off overnight and is getting better. Not gone completely but it’s very much reduced. The discomfort has almost gone too.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, phoneticerror said:

Keeping people away from events because they’ve made the foolish decision to risk their own lives isn’t going to impact the ones that have had the vaccine. Me being double vaxxed can spread it just as easily as somebody who hasn’t had a jab. The difference is they’re more likely to die, and quite frankly that’s their decision to make.

If only it was that simple. They are impacting others, frontline workers, the NHS as a whole. And eventually, if restrictions come back in, however light, it will be due to those unvaccinated. However, hopefully the UK has made enough progress to get enough vaccinated for that not to happen.

Look at Russia, a combination of low uptake and a much less effective vaccine is bringing the country down again. Australia, low uptake, lack of natural mixing and they are going to struggle (and we can all agree they have had a lot less freedom than we have). Just some examples.

The point about being able to spread it just as easily is false. It is true that double vaccinated can still spread it (and quite commonly do) but it is still less of a chance than those unvaccinated.

My view is that if unvaccinated those people should not be made to stay away from public events, but they should be tested and prove a negative result. If they are going to refuse the vaccine, then they have to jump through other hoops instead. It is their decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Look at Russia, a combination of low uptake and a much less effective vaccine is bringing the country down again. Australia, low uptake, lack of natural mixing and they are going to struggle (and we can all agree they have had a lot less freedom than we have). Just some examples.

I have to correct you on the bolded bit. It is true that Australia was late to start vaccinating due to a Federal government balls up, but once vaccines became available there has been a huge uptake, and I believe we’re on target to overtake the UK shortly.

Also, at least half of Australia has had pretty much no restrictions virtually throughout the pandemic, other than restricted travel in and out of the country, and interstate periodically. Of the other half of the population, NSW have just come out of a 4 month lockdown due a combination of the Delta strain, low vaccination rates, and a Libertarian state government that didn’t really take the initial outbreak seriously. Apart from that they’ve also had few restrictions throughout.

Victoria have been affected most, for a variety of reasons, and have been particularly unlucky. They too are now mostly vaccinated and are almost back to normal.

In general, as far as I can tell, you lot have had a much tougher time over the whole pandemic than the vast majority of Australians. 

I do of course agree with the points you are trying to make though. Vaccination is the best way to get back to something like normal, and it is quite baffling that the most ardent opponents of restrictions are also very often the same people who refuse to get vaccinated.

1 hour ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I have to correct you on the bolded bit. It is true that Australia was late to start vaccinating due to a Federal government balls up, but once vaccines became available there has been a huge uptake, and I believe we’re on target to overtake the UK shortly.

Also, at least half of Australia has had pretty much no restrictions virtually throughout the pandemic, other than restricted travel in and out of the country, and interstate periodically. Of the other half of the population, NSW have just come out of a 4 month lockdown due a combination of the Delta strain, low vaccination rates, and a Libertarian state government that didn’t really take the initial outbreak seriously. Apart from that they’ve also had few restrictions throughout.

Victoria have been affected most, for a variety of reasons, and have been particularly unlucky. They too are now mostly vaccinated and are almost back to normal.

In general, as far as I can tell, you lot have had a much tougher time over the whole pandemic than the vast majority of Australians. 

I do of course agree with the points you are trying to make though. Vaccination is the best way to get back to something like normal, and it is quite baffling that the most ardent opponents of restrictions are also very often the same people who refuse to get vaccinated.

Thanks for the insight. I have friends in Perth and judging by their social media actions, they echo what you say around freedom. As you say, travel is the only thing that has been hit hard.

Hadn't seen the fact that the vaccine uptake was in a much better place now.

40 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Thanks for the insight. I have friends in Perth and judging by their social media actions, they echo what you say around freedom. As you say, travel is the only thing that has been hit hard.

Hadn't seen the fact that the vaccine uptake was in a much better place now.

If our corrupt, incompetent Federal government had pulled their finger out and made an early start on the vaccine rollout like in the UK, we’d have got out of this whole thing very lightly. The border restrictions (internal and international) have been more of a problem for some than for others obviously, but IMHO a relatively small price to pay for normality while the rest of the world suffered.

It’s a bit strange here now in a way, anticipating the spread of the virus once the borders (in WA and some of the other zero Covid states) open. By that time we should be at around 80% to 90% vaccinated (over 12s), but no doubt our “freedom” (to travel) will be accompanied by restrictions and mask wearing that we haven’t had to suffer so far. It feels a bit like that old film “On the Beach”. Our fully normal, pre-pandemic way of life will disappear, and no one really knows for how long.

1 hour ago, WigstonWanderer said:

If our corrupt, incompetent Federal government had pulled their finger out and made an early start on the vaccine rollout like in the UK, we’d have got out of this whole thing very lightly. The border restrictions (internal and international) have been more of a problem for some than for others obviously, but IMHO a relatively small price to pay for normality while the rest of the world suffered.

It’s a bit strange here now in a way, anticipating the spread of the virus once the borders (in WA and some of the other zero Covid states) open. By that time we should be at around 80% to 90% vaccinated (over 12s), but no doubt our “freedom” (to travel) will be accompanied by restrictions and mask wearing that we haven’t had to suffer so far. It feels a bit like that old film “On the Beach”. Our fully normal, pre-pandemic way of life will disappear, and no one really knows for how long.

Hopefully not for as long, or as thoroughly, as in "On the Beach" :jawdrop:

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I got an email yesterday saying there was a positve case in my son's class, so your statement is clearly not correct

I’m surprised at that because they’re no longer reporting them at my sons school or at the one my wife teaches at because quite frankly there are too many cases.

Wife is aware of some because of her position, but no emails being sent. And my kid went back this week after having Covid and none of our friends got emails to say there was one in their year group. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe it depends on how many cases, but the schools I have contact with are absolutely riddled at the moment, hence me being in isolation until tomorrow

Edited by phoneticerror

Just now, phoneticerror said:

I’m surprised at that because they’re no longer reporting them at my sons school or at the one my wife teaches at because quite frankly there are too many cases.

perhaps it was unwise to extrapolate your experience of two schools to ALL schools

Even so, I would concede that the reporting of it makes no difference. He's still going to school, and we're mixing in the same house and beyond so it is maybe a bit futile in any case

Just now, stripeyfox said:

perhaps it was unwise to extrapolate your experience of two schools to ALL schools

Even so, I would concede that the reporting of it makes no difference. He's still going to school, and we're mixing in the same house and beyond so it is maybe a bit futile in any case

Yeah you’re right, I jumped to the conclusion that everywhere had given up as all of ours have.

• Like 1