Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

6 minutes ago, Corky said:

This Government is well known for making big statements then backing down soon after, they'll probably be shown figures on how unworkable it is then bring in loads of caveats and get outs.

Macron did it earlier in the year when they had 40% (I think) health personnel vaccinated. About 2000 workers have since quit but they're now 99% vaccinated.

• Like 1

On 08/11/2021 at 11:57, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Feels that for all the incompetence that has come before it, we've somehow timed our latest wave absolutely perfectly. We're on a steep decline with hundreds of thousands of boosters going in arms every day, with no restrictions. 

Lots of European countries are on the way back up heading into the winter months with little to no booster program being rolled out. Even places like Ireland with a strict mask mandate that is widely complied with now has a much higher case rate per capita than us. 

I think our death rate will always be a little higher than average due to our aging, fat, inactive population but that's another issue entirely. Hopefully the new pill can control the deaths to an extent now.

20211108_115859_edit_81413227272993.jpg

Ireland: To the moon!

UK: Buy the dip!

14 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I can't see how they can risk losing more workers in a field that is already understaffed. Especially seeing as one of the reasons vaccines were rushed through was to make sure the NHS doesn't get overwhelmed - imagine how bad it would look if it were to cause the service to become overwhelmed through a loss of staff. 

Aren't govt responsible for a drop in the care home worker force?  It's bizarre.  I want to know where Ferguson is.  What's he up to?  Another nonsensical prediction based on a set of false assumptions?  He's gone rather quiet.  Perhaps he should walk like Farrar.

Just now, st albans fox said:

Apparently in the Tesco Xmas advert, Santa shows his covid passport to enter the country !

This seems to have triggered the vehement anti vaxers big time with a lot of social media stuff urging a boycott of Tesco. 

does being a bit stupid also affect your sense of humour ????

Yet the same people will be clamouring for us to turn back drowning refugees.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Apparently in the Tesco Xmas advert, Santa shows his covid passport to enter the country !

This seems to have triggered the vehement anti vaxers big time with a lot of social media stuff urging a boycott of Tesco. 

people have definitely lost their sense of humour. Too sensitive and are offended by anything these days, winds me up. Surprised they’ve not moaned that Santa is a man!

It there is a bonus to that - if they’re boycotting Tesco, then more for the rest. If they want to boycott, let them. Benefits others then that’s a good thing. 

Edited by fox_favourite

29 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Other supermarkets are available where they'll be able to panic buy toilet rolls. 

2 hours ago, Buce said:

Yet the same people will be clamouring for us to turn back drowning refugees.

Not all of them I suspect.

There seems to be a weird alliance of Trumpite libertarians, anti-vaxers, QAnon nutters, Wellness practitioners and hippy types at the moment.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Soup said:

I've just read that 18,000 teachers here in the Valencian region have refused the vaccine so far. That really surprises me to be honest, as i thought every man and his dog had been done here. Most aged between 20-39 apparently.

Maybe because they understand that people in their age group are not dying from it unless they are fat and unhealthy?

Edited by I am Rod Hull
  • Like 4

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

Boris saying that you'll need a booster jab if you want hassle free travel.

So I'll need to take covid jabs twice a year indefinitely? :facepalm: Gonna try and hold out for as long as possible on a booster jab.

I think until this settles down and becomes a disease that is easily manageable on a day to day basis without constant risks of surges in hopsital admissions boosters will be important and pushed for. There is hope that by this time next year things may start to return to a bit more of a normality where proof of vaccination is no longer a necessity. However, expect it to be the case until at least early summer.

50 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Boris saying that you'll need a booster jab if you want hassle free travel.

So I'll need to take covid jabs twice a year indefinitely? :facepalm: Gonna try and hold out for as long as possible on a booster jab.

It's their trump card isn't it? 

Without travel restrictions, I reckon take up would've been nearer 50% rather than 90 odd%..certainly of a brief straw poll of 2 or 3 people I've asked (admittedly sample size and demographic rather small!) , each said the same. They only took it so they could travel, not thro fear of covid or any community  spirit

On 14/11/2021 at 16:00, Soup said:

I've just read that 18,000 teachers here in the Valencian region have refused the vaccine so far. That really surprises me to be honest, as i thought every man and his dog had been done here. Most aged between 20-39 apparently.

Soup - I can not find any reference to this (as I’m as surprised as you).  There was some resistance to the AZ when vaccinations first started but, to the best of my knowledge, that hurdle was quickly overcome.

I use the Government website mscbs.gob.es to keep me abreast of the vaccination programme and C Valencia (and the age group you have quoted) is on a par with most other provinces.

7 minutes ago, zorro en españa said:

Soup - I can not find any reference to this (as I’m as surprised as you).  There was some resistance to the AZ when vaccinations first started but, to the best of my knowledge, that hurdle was quickly overcome.

I use the Government website mscbs.gob.es to keep me abreast of the vaccination programme and C Valencia (and the age group you have quoted) is on a par with most other provinces.

It was in the local online newspaper. It's subscription but the headline does suggest it? 

https://www.lasprovincias.es/comunitat/18000-docentes-evitan-20211113191006-nt.html

• Like 1

I'm on the fence at this point.  Boris can spin it how he likes, bottom line is he's a liar.

How effective have 3rd boosters been for reducing numbers from the care homes into the hospitals for example?  

Drawing comparisons with other countries only raises further questions re: Boris' logic on this.  

Using a stick to beat people with, ie get a jab or no holiday, is not going to help matters either.

A logical step would be to encourage antibody tests to determine who, of the non vulnerable population, actually need a booster jab.

But no, I see another set of (accurate?) modelling projections are being used to determine the next step in the rollout instead.

• Like 2