Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

48 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I'm on the fence at this point.  Boris can spin it how he likes, bottom line is he's a liar.

How effective have 3rd boosters been for reducing numbers from the care homes into the hospitals for example?  

Drawing comparisons with other countries only raises further questions re: Boris' logic on this.  

Using a stick to beat people with, ie get a jab or no holiday, is not going to help matters either.

A logical step would be to encourage antibody tests to determine who, of the non vulnerable population, actually need a booster jab.

But no, I see another set of (accurate?) modelling projections are being used to determine the next step in the rollout instead.

Pretty sure that the logistics and cost of widespread antibody testing means that isn’t the way anyone goes.  Much easier to just jab everyone and know that the antibody reaction will be large 

the authorities are convinced that boosters work and are present v little risk.  They won’t pander to the undecided and antis 

4 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Encouraging (and predictable) seeing the long vaccination queues of the past two days in Austria. Sometimes it takes a bit of a push. Life is going to become very difficult for the unvaccinated over this winter. 

I get your point is from a good place, but I can't find it in me that  a state threat of house arrest is to be celebrated. You call it a push. I call it bullying. 

• Like 3

Just now, walkerleeds said:

In what ways?

You only have to look over the border in Wales. If the latest euro wave washes up on our shores then expect covid passes to be required to do anything in England (even going down the City). Wouldn't expect an Austria or Latvia style response but not far off. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-58600373

On a side note, has anyone else not had it? I couldn't have tried harder to get it. 

I've got kids who've been surrounded by classmates riddled with it. Sleepovers, parties, sports clubs. They live with me at mine and their mums at hers.  Neither of us gives a shit about it. Ive been on planes, Holidays, bars, restaurants, supermarkets, work in a stuffy office with 100 people, sit on stuffy trains, attended trade events with 4000 people inside and shook the hands of 100+ punters. I've hit on birds, got drunk with strangers, go to football, had freinds to stay, had Airbnb punters to stay. Meanwhile, their Mum works at a hospital which is teeming with it. 

None of us have caught it. Andndont tell me asymptomatic....at leastnone of us would've showed signs.  Madness really.

Edit to clarify I'm not a conspiracy theorist etc. Nor was making a point, other than almost annoyance I can pick up a cold at a drop of a hat but cannot catch this it seems  

Edited by Paninistickers
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I get your point is from a good place, but I can't find it in me that  a state threat of house arrest is to be celebrated. You call it a push. I call it bullying. 

Call it what you like but on this one I'm beyond caring if people feel they are being bullied. Everyone has been given a choice for almost a year. If people wish to remain unvaccinated then that is their choice, they are not being forced. However, they will have to accept the consequences. A Government's first priority is to keep the population safe and if it upsets a few then it's a price worth paying, I reckon. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

On a side note, has anyone else not had it? I couldn't have tried harder to get it. 

I've got kids who've been surrounded by classmates riddled with it. Sleepovers, parties, sports clubs. They live with me at mine and their mums at hers.  Neither of us gives a shit about it. Ive been on planes, Holidays, bars, restaurants, supermarkets, work in a stuffy office with 100 people, sit on stuffy trains, attended trade events with 4000 people inside and shook the hands of 100+ punters. I've hit on birds, got drunk with strangers, go to football, had freinds to stay, had Airbnb punters to stay. Meanwhile, their Mum works at a hospital which is teeming with it. 

None of us have caught it. Andndont tell me asymptomatic....at leastnone of us would've showed signs.  Madness really.

Edit to clarify I'm not a conspiracy theorist etc. Nor was making a point, other than almost annoyance I can pick up a cold at a drop of a hat but cannot catch this it seems  

There are some people who will just not become infected due to their existing immune systems- scientists are studying these people to try and find what it is about their immune systems that has enabled them to avoid infection   …..perhaps it makes some sense for you and your kids to avoid it but either you or your wife should probably have contracted it given her circumstances and your lack of care! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I'm similar, although I haven't been quite as busy as you. Still been to football, pubs, shopping etc plus been in schools a fair bit for work. Not bothered with masks apart from where they were/are mandatory.

Not only have I not had it, I have no family or friends that have had it either. A couple of work colleagues have had it, that's as close at it's got to me personally.

3 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I don't have specific medical knowledge, but I wonder if what might have happened with you is that you've been getting regular smallish doses that have built up your immunity and so if and when you received the "big one", the dose big enough to make you noticeably ill, your body was already prepared.  At its simplest, vaccination is just a way of preparing your body by giving you a harmlessly small dose of the illness.

4 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Encouraging (and predictable) seeing the long vaccination queues of the past two days in Austria. Sometimes it takes a bit of a push. Life is going to become very difficult for the unvaccinated over this winter. 

Way into Next summer...Vaccination a must (2g)...Then by Early Next year...Booster jabs ,will be expected...

No lightening of Face masks regs.

4 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Be happy..I

Why complain...:dunno:

54 minutes ago, Line-X said:

The world has always had its fair share of ‘nut jobs’.  I’m not talking about people with actual defined mental problems. 

they used to sit in the corner of the pub/street cafe making odd statements …… now they have an internet connection.  The problem is that this gives them the ability to speak to each other.  Whilst we laughed and mocked in decades past, they can now find like minded people, all within a millisecond and this actually accentuates their problems.  It does need dealing with but it won’t because it’s too difficult.  

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Soup said:

Linking these two things has been around for 18 month's now so the story is a bit late isn't it? Interesting though, personally I don't pay it no attention as I'm pretty much on board with the whole climate thing. 

Still don't want a 3rd jab though :D

The point is that the momentum shifts. We saw the covid pandemic snare the 5G lunatics. We also saw the QAnon perpetrators who pushed the 'plandemic' suddenly u-turn upon the realisation that selling ivermectin was highly profitable. As the article correctly says, conspiracy theory uses fear and outrage via multiple vectors to further agenda, usually linked to personal freedom, agency, citizen versus state, and the perceived loss of traditional lifestyles. This is why it's so prevalent in the USA. 

As a lucrative industry, it has a product line - and usually, those that buy into one conspiracy theory, will naturally subscribe to another. The people that manufacture this know that they can harvest stupidity. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I'm on the fence at this point.  Boris can spin it how he likes, bottom line is he's a liar.

How effective have 3rd boosters been for reducing numbers from the care homes into the hospitals for example?  

Drawing comparisons with other countries only raises further questions re: Boris' logic on this.  

Using a stick to beat people with, ie get a jab or no holiday, is not going to help matters either.

A logical step would be to encourage antibody tests to determine who, of the non vulnerable population, actually need a booster jab.

But no, I see another set of (accurate?) modelling projections are being used to determine the next step in the rollout instead.

Sorry Bit Why depends on Boris...

you have a Doctor I presume...You can Read what UK Health organistions, Plus other serious  Health Civic Related sites...

Politicians have Never had a say on my own descisions, Health or otherwise..

If the Government put down Rollouts/ Traffic Light alarms, movement regulations,other suggestions then I will abide by them,because there has to be

country's Stance  & Platform of reason....Where für population can hold to...

But Government Information Translation of what they Blurt out.....This Pandemic year, from the UK govt. Looking from outside to in, has been IMO

poor presentation & going off in other tangents from the medical Front line experts...Plus allowing incompetent Administrators of the various Service institutions

Make up their own agendas...

Ressource & People Ressources have been abused & misused...People willing to return to a Services institution abused, mistreated & public misinformed...

and a Big threat ALL staff are demotivated & desillusionion on those necessary support articles & rescources..

.That some are considering... "Its just Not worth it".  !!!! Rocking Not their Covid health, but their Weekly & lifes stress, because Admins & politicians are Not

Coming up to the mark...

Guest Col city fan

Conspiracy though this may sound, I remain convinced c19 is a man made virus that has ‘gotten out’ of a lab either intentionally or unintentionally.

It’s just like no other virus… it affects people differently, the symptoms differ across people, some get it, some don’t get it (when exposed to it)

When I had it, I just felt ‘weird’. I didn’t feel Ill particularly, just tired and strange for about 24 hours. I also had a sensation of something crawling on my forearms for about 6/7 hours, which then just vanished.

The vaccines have affected people totally differently too. Some have had zero symptoms, some people (as fit as a butchers dog) have been flattened by it

Viruses genuinely affect people in pretty much the same way. Eg if you get flu, you get flu.

But with Covid, the differences across people are just bizarre 

I think it was likely intended for germ warfare personally

4 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Conspiracy though this may sound, I remain convinced c19 is a man made virus that has ‘gotten out’ of a lab either intentionally or unintentionally.

It’s just like no other virus… it affects people differently, the symptoms differ across people, some get it, some don’t get it (when exposed to it)

When I had it, I just felt ‘weird’. I didn’t feel Ill particularly, just tired and strange for about 24 hours. I also had a sensation of something crawling on my forearms for about 6/7 hours, which then just vanished.

The vaccines have affected people totally differently too. Some have had zero symptoms, some people (as fit as a butchers dog) have been flattened by it

Viruses genuinely affect people in pretty much the same way. Eg if you get flu, you get flu.

How could you tell the difference??

Sorry Col, couldn't resist that low hanging fruit :D

24 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Don't even think the "lab leak" theory is a conspiracy theory at this point is it? It went from no chance of it to being a leading theory, and that's from the people at the top investigating it. Obviously we'll likely never know for sure with it being China and all and people don't want to rattle that nest of hornets. 

31 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Don't even think the "lab leak" theory is a conspiracy theory at this point is it? It went from no chance of it to being a leading theory, and that's from the people at the top investigating it. Obviously we'll likely never know for sure with it being China and all and people don't want to rattle that nest of hornets. 

It really isn't a leading theory though - although it endures throughout populist sources. It's not really what I'd term "a conspiracy theory" either - not in the pejorative sense of the term. It is feasible, albeit from what we know, a remote possibility. 

Here is a very good synopsis of the available evidence published last June. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01529-3

Virological science demonstrates that zoonotic origin is vastly more likely than a lab leak. In fact, the two hypotheses are miles apart in credibility. Almost six months after the publication of this paper, contrary to your claim, the lab-leak pathway theory remains a speculative incomplete hypothesis with no credible evidence. 

Pointedly, evidence that artificial manipulation of a virus gave rise to SARS-CoV-2 has faded from scant to inconsequential, as science yields progressively more evidence that the characteristic features of SARS-CoV-2 thought to be unnatural do in fact occur in nature. Meanwhile, evidence for zoonotic transmission is constantly accumulating. No one who reports on the issue without acknowledging these two marked trends should be trusted.

3 hours ago, Lako42 said:

It's really picking up a pace at my work this week. Lots of new infections. 

I haven't had it yet and wfh but it's interesting to see all these double vaccinated people picking it up and some feeling rather poorly. 

Lucky for them that they were vaccinated - otherwise ‘rather poorly’ may have been ‘on a ventilator’. 

no proof that this is the case but as col says, some people are flattened by this whilst others aren’t. 

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

That's a load of rubbish. Every illness affects people differently based on their genetics and their general health (and age etc.). I rarely got ill, every now and then I would get the flu. I would be out for a day, take some tablets, sleep and suddenly feel better the next day. Some people are down for days, sometimes even weeks. Even "just" the flu.

So seeing the same effects for Covid is not that much of a surprise. The only difference is that Covid is much more lethal and has covered the news so it is something you spend time on. Imagine if this much effort was spent on reporting and analysing the flu every year. Maybe after years of exposure and vaccinations, the symptoms might generalise a bit and a pattern may develop as to who gets more seriously ill and who doesn't.

• Like 2