Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

2 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

I always classed having flu as having a substantial amount of money left on the kitchen table.If you had a cold you would get out of bed and get it.If you had flu you simply couldn’t,as you would be too ill.I’ve only ever felt that bad once or twice in my life.

That's a circular argument that is confusing col.  Start by defining flu as "like a cold but you feel really bad", and then using that as proof that everyone who has flu feels really, really bad.

There are basically two different definitions of flu.  One is the colloquial one like yours, that flu makes you feel rotten and it's not flu until it does.  The other is the medical one, in that flu is a virus and colds are a different virus (or several viruses each) and if you get a mild does of a flu virus, it doesn't magically turn into a cold virus.  When assessing the variable effects of the virus, we have to use the medical definition.

3 hours ago, Line-X said:

Sorry - not meaning to be confrontational, but much of this is absolute crap. It's the same thing over and over again about supposed scare tactics from the same people who actually seem to be consistently preoccupied by convincing themselves and each other that they themselves are not scared. There's a common theme on this thread which boils down to one thing, denial and stoking that, the underlying fear of further restrictions.

Regarding supposed "psychological warfare" - the actual war is being waged against a very nasty and unpleasant viral pandemic which is still claiming lives worldwide. Do I fear Covid-19? - genuinely, no, not in terms of my own well being - but I'm shit scared of unwittingly infecting others and not simply loved ones or the possibility of my 88 year old parents ending up on a ventilator. I'm also very conscious of the pressure on frontline NHS staff - frankly, I couldn't give two shits if you can't go clubbing, go to a gig, have a pint at the local, watch a football match or go on holiday. 

Regarding corruption, relatively speaking, the pandemic has barely been in the news of late. The media has been all over Tory sleaze and has been relentlessly hammering both the Prime Minister and his party. It's hilarious. Watching him squirm today in PM question time was the most entertaining thing I've seen on TV since Daka's four goal demolition of Spartak. 

Anyway, have a good evening, and yeah, hopefully it's three points against Chelsea on Saturday. 

3 hours ago, Spudulike said:

You seem to be railing against the Government/scientists rather than the virus. We're all in the same team, aren't we, fighting covid? And if that means getting regular jabs then it's really not that inconvenient. Don't lose sight of the real enemy. 

Quite.

Some folks seem to forget that nature can be a much more efficient and deadly enemy than humans could ever be. Possibly because they've never seen it get really nasty.

Let's hope that one day that human-centred conceit doesn't come back to cause more trouble for us all than it has already. Goodness knows there's enough issues where it's a factor.

2 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

That's a circular argument that is confusing col.  Start by defining flu as "like a cold but you feel really bad", and then using that as proof that everyone who has flu feels really, really bad.

There are basically two different definitions of flu.  One is the colloquial one like yours, that flu makes you feel rotten and it's not flu until it does.  The other is the medical one, in that flu is a virus and colds are a different virus (or several viruses each) and if you get a mild does of a flu virus, it doesn't magically turn into a cold virus.  When assessing the variable effects of the virus, we have to use the medical definition.

Fair enough,but pre COVID-19 one would never know what virus one had for sure as it wouldn’t get diagnosed.Unless you ended up needing hospitalisation.

• Like 1

Surely it’s an ever evolving fight, against an every evolving virus. 

The first two vaccinations that a large proportion of us have taken, we’re just the first shots back at it. 

As winter hits and the virus runs rife through society, it’ll be the unvaccinated that feel the pain more so, as they won’t have the antibodies to fight it.

It’s interesting, as I’ve known certain individuals who were anti vaccination, have caught it, been Ill / hospitalised, then reconsidered once they’ve been able to take the vaccine. 

Everyone will have a different opinion, I get that. I’ve never understood the argument that “you don’t know what’s in it”, as a form of reason to not have it. People don’t know what’s in Coca Cola, KFC, McDonalds, Worcester Sauce, Iron Bru, Hersheys Milk Chocolate, Kristy Kreme, Cadbury Dairy Milk, Heinz Ketchup or what chemicals were used in growing the jacket potatoes they ate yesterday. They’ll still consume them though. 

Having a booster jab, is akin to getting the flu jab in my eyes. I do expect the uptake to be lower than the double jabs though. 

• Like 1

Had Covid end of October, but this morning I’ve woken up feeling so much worse than I did with the virus. Smell and taste gone again, head pounding, shivering all night, body aches etc. Track and Trace said that tests won’t be accurate for 3 months after infection - but do you think it’s possible to get it twice so soon? It’s been less than 2 weeks since I was allowed out of isolation.

11 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

No we don't as many people have always continued to come into work full of sniffs and with a runny nose (rightly or wrongly). Also, someone not having a vaccine doesn't mean they have the virus, we all know double vaccinated people still carry it, so why does it matter?

Hilarious now seeing the same people on my social media who said 'It's only 1/2 jabs, just get them done for the greater good' now turning and saying 'It's only 1 or 2 jabs a year, just get them done'. Sadly unless people stand up now this will be the norm, they won't be saying in 12 months time oh don't worry about the jab this time, it'll be get the jab or stay in your house, face losing your job etc. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

These countries with the vaccine passports have fared no better than us have they? I'm happy with a two tiered society, I'll happily choose to sit with unvaccinated people, I couldn't give a toss as I've had both jabs. What's wrong is forcing these people outside of soceity purely because they won't or can't have the jabs.

We've been bombarded with a psychological warfare campaign from our own Government and most of the media outlets for the past 18 months though, it's no wonder people are scared of their own shadow and have a us vs. them mindset. Throughout all of this the rich have got richer, the corruption has been absolutely rife and infront of our own eyes, yet 90% of people aren't even bothered, they are more worried about weather someone sat on the other side of a cinema has been vaccinated.

God I sound like @Buce :o #LeftWingForLife

Anyway I haven't been in this thread for a long time for a good reason, I am now reminded whylol Have a good evening all and hopefully it's 3 points at Chelsea on Saturday!

There are two kinds of people, Loyal.

Those that agree with me, and those that will.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, phoneticerror said:

Had Covid end of October, but this morning I’ve woken up feeling so much worse than I did with the virus. Smell and taste gone again, head pounding, shivering all night, body aches etc. Track and Trace said that tests won’t be accurate for 3 months after infection - but do you think it’s possible to get it twice so soon? It’s been less than 2 weeks since I was allowed out of isolation.

I could be wrong, and someone might be able to correct me, but isn't it only the PCR that remains positive for a while after. I thought LFT's could be used to prove negative results shortly after infection (maybe 2 weeks after or so). Like I say, might have made this up.

21 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I could be wrong, and someone might be able to correct me, but isn't it only the PCR that remains positive for a while after. I thought LFT's could be used to prove negative results shortly after infection (maybe 2 weeks after or so). Like I say, might have made this up.

The track and trace woman told me not to do any tests for 3 months because they could give false positives and then I’d have to isolate again for 10 days. My mrs works in a school and they don’t give the free LFTs to kids who have been infected within the past 3 months - so who knows 😂 Could just be the flu I suppose.

Just now, phoneticerror said:

The track and trace woman told me not to do any tests for 3 months because they could give false positives and then I’d have to isolate again for 10 days. My mrs works in a school and they don’t give the free LFTs to kids who have been infected within the past 3 months - so who knows 😂 Could just be the flu I suppose.

I know of a few people who have covid like symptoms at the moment but keep testing negative on PCRs so i imagine it is flu/ some other respiratory virus going round.

• Like 1

Last night was horrendous. Non stop coughing which resulted in no sleep.

Still so lethargic and hot.

My lad is 8 and has tested positive.

Mrs is negative.

Daughter is 13 and getting tested later.

I'm more upset about missing the Chelsea game!!

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, phoneticerror said:

My four year old finished her 10 day isolation nearly two weeks ago. Aside from a temperature she had no real symptoms. Now shes got a bad chesty cough, runny nose and seems to be very tired. Whatever this is appears to be worse than bloody Covid.

38 minutes ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

My four year old finished her 10 day isolation nearly two weeks ago. Aside from a temperature she had no real symptoms. Now shes got a bad chesty cough, runny nose and seems to be very tired. Whatever this is appears to be worse than bloody Covid.

That’s exactly how I feel. I could work fine (from home) with Covid and the kids were fine too. Whatever this is has completely knocked me off my feet. I slept like a baby with Covid but last night I think I only managed to get about 2-3 hours. Really weird dreams when I did too.

45 minutes ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

Something like an RSV is far worse for kids. 

4 hours ago, phoneticerror said:

3 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

3 hours ago, phoneticerror said:

Afaik, LFT’s are useable once your initial infection has gone. 
My three kids who were infected - we decided when we could be more relaxed around them by doing more LFT’s and once they were negative we were less concerned 

3 hours ago, GlennyFox55 said:

I know of a few people who have covid like symptoms at the moment but keep testing negative on PCRs so i imagine it is flu/ some other respiratory virus going round.

1 hour ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

There is a virus (not covid) doing the rounds.

2 hours ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

My 5 year old had covid a few weeks ago was up and down with his temp and got a cough prob for a few days. Has a bit of a cough again now but more on his chest than the covid one. I had a cough for a few weeks but not covid even though the little one had it. 

3 hours ago, Raj said:

Last night was horrendous. Non stop coughing which resulted in no sleep.

Still so lethargic and hot.

My lad is 8 and has tested positive.

Mrs is negative.

Daughter is 13 and getting tested later.

I'm more upset about missing the Chelsea game!!

You'll be able to join in with the match day thread. That'll cheer you up :colder:

• Haha 3

Got my booster next Wednesday - it's the first of the three jabs where I've been able to choose from a massive array of locations convenient to me to get it done. The first two I had no choices and had to go well out of my way. One of the options this time around was SuperDrug in town - seems an odd location, I didn't even know they had a paharmacy!

Edited by SecretPro

8 minutes ago, Line-X said:

And many are dying without that one dose due to inequities in global healthcare and unscrupulous charges on the vaccine. Try getting that across to those on this thread that are in denial of the continuation of a global healthcare crisis and only care about whether they can drink in a pub or go to a nightclub

OK so when does it end? What's the plan. If they said it will be 15 booster's would you be happy. Silly question really as you'd obviously be fine with that

17 minutes ago, Soup said:

OK so when does it end? What's the plan. If they said it will be 15 booster's would you be happy. Silly question really as you'd obviously be fine with that

Honestly? Yes. But happy to hear reasoning why I shouldn’t. Even if you think it’s blazingly obvious.

• Like 2