Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Man City CAS

2 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

I can see them starting next season on, say, -15 points. It's enough for them to be out of the title race but not enough for it to be a struggle to reach top 7. 

Is that enough? No. But does it damage their brand? Absolutely. 

What brand do Man City have? Most of their sponsorship comes from their owners anyway.

They could still comfortably finish on 80 points with a -15 point deduction. It does absolutely nothing. That has to be one the worst takes I've seen.

If a club breaches over 100 regulations, one hundred! they should be facing some pretty extreme punishments. The idea of 15 points is laughable really.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

All this talk of being kicked out the league is laughable, lets be honest it's not going to happen.

They'll probably get away with a fine and then everyone will forget about it.

No one will disagree with you 

people are just making a judgement on what they expect to happen because the sanctions that are applied have to be approved by 14 PL clubs …..

2 minutes ago, filbertway said:

What brand do Man City have? Most of their sponsorship comes from their owners anyway.

They could still comfortably finish on 80 points with a -15 point deduction. It does absolutely nothing. That has to be one the worst takes I've seen.

If a club breaches over 100 regulations, one hundred! they should be facing some pretty extreme punishments. The idea of 15 points is laughable really.

Will they be kicked out of the league? No

Will they be forced to sell players? No

Will Pep leave? No

Will a fine do anything? Absolutely not

It's a sportswashing PR exercise. Points deduction is pretty much the only option left that doesn't make any other club owners skittish but also, somewhat, looks like a punishment. They have to hang their heads in shame and put out an apology - something they don't like to do.

It's not pleasant and I am very much in favour of pay bands/ salary caps for clubs and players, with money going towards grass roots and caps on ticket prices. But I also know that will never happen so I think this is the most realistic option. 

23 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Will they be kicked out of the league? No

Will they be forced to sell players? No

Will Pep leave? No

Will a fine do anything? Absolutely not

It's a sportswashing PR exercise. Points deduction is pretty much the only option left that doesn't make any other club owners skittish but also, somewhat, looks like a punishment. They have to hang their heads in shame and put out an apology - something they don't like to do.

It's not pleasant and I am very much in favour of pay bands/ salary caps for clubs and players, with money going towards grass roots and caps on ticket prices. But I also know that will never happen so I think this is the most realistic option. 

Ah so this is more what you think will happen rather than what you think should happen. In which case fair enough.

Unfortunately seems to be the mindset of the masses so they'll get away with it with no repercussions as well. May as well not have any rules to be honest.

To be honest I'm conflicted as I hate this idea of Financial Fair play, as it's not fair. It's just something to prevent new money from putting together competitive teams. I do think that each team should be allowed to spend a total of x million a season on wages. 

13 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I think this is more about breaking league rules concerning financial affairs to secure success, not necessarily ffp rules, which Man City have been committing underhand tactics for years, they had that extension built for an extra 8000 fans when they couldn’t sell all the tickets before they had it built  and they were almost giving tickets away, reason being, how the rules worked meant that if a club  had the potential to sell more tickets, then they could spend accordingly, in other words, the more seats the more potential sales and the more money a club could spend,  whether you sell them or not. They’ve just applied for another 6000 seat ground expansion… wonder why.

Aye... 

• Thanks 1

This may have already been mentioned so apologies if so…

But the accusations of failing to disclose payments to Mancini sound very similar to that of what Saracens rugby club were doing.. putting players general wages through the books, but paying them additional wages through alternative routes - in Saracens case that was co-investments in properties, with Mancini it just looks like payments through an off-shore account.

Saracens we’re docked 35 points for being in breach of the salary cap over the two previous seasons, but were also going to be in breach again that current season and were given an ultimatum - give back the Premiership trophies they won in those seasons and ensure they complied with the salary cap or receive an additional 35 point penalty, all but ensuring their relegation.

You would like to think that considering Man City’s breaches have spanned an even long period (and this is just one small element of over 100 breaches) that they would surely have to be looking at even harsher punishment…. Though as everyone has mentioned above, I highly doubt that will happen!

(Saracens unsurprisingly said ‘on your bike’ to giving back any trophies)

Edited by Muzzy_Izzn’t
  • Like 2

So I’d be very interested to know how you’d go from lots of charges to innocent. Like are they saying the premier league made up all these charges, that the extra transactions were invented.

it will be interesting to see how Man City squirm out of this one…

does this not have even wider reaching issues than just PL vs Man City. Like the breaches alleged seem to amount to cooking their books and submitting fraudulent financials for each season. presumably Man City had them audited (no doubt by a big 4 firm) so unless they had a real set of books, had them audited and kept a fake set to submit to the PL, you're gonna end up with an auditing firm getting in big trouble for missing 9 years worth of fraud

• Like 1

I appreciate the ‘they’ll just get a fine” argument, but if found guilty, I genuinely believe the punishment will be significantly more severe.

A fine doesn’t help the PL case that it can competently regulate itself. In fact, issuing Man City a fine could be the final  proof the Gov needs to bring in an independent regulator. For purely self interest, the PL may have to punish Man City more severely. 

Edited by Glorious Leicester Fan
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

does this not have even wider reaching issues than just PL vs Man City. Like the breaches alleged seem to amount to cooking their books and submitting fraudulent financials for each season. presumably Man City had them audited (no doubt by a big 4 firm) so unless they had a real set of books, had them audited and kept a fake set to submit to the PL, you're gonna end up with an auditing firm getting in big trouble for missing 9 years worth of fraud

According to a reply in that twitter thread (which you may take at your own level of veracity) Deloitte were the auditors.  So the question then is were they part of the problem or misled/deceived/incompetent also?

9 minutes ago, Glorious Leicester Fan said:

I appreciate the ‘they’ll just get a fine” argument, but if found guilty, I genuinely believe the punishment will be significantly more severe.

A fine doesn’t help the PL case that it can competently regulate itself. In fact, issuing Man City a fine could be the final  proof the Gov needs to bring in an independent regulator. For purely self interest, the PL may have to punish Man City more severely. 

The sheer seriousness/extent of the charges and the length of time they cover (if they can't be lawyered away) would seem to preclude a mere wrist-slapping. 

At the same time it suggests a prolonged wait while MC fight the charges before any punishment is meted out (a period which will doubtless get portrayed as the PL backing down/going soft). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MattFox said:

Agree with people saying nothing will happen

But if a country with as much institutional corruption as Italy can punish its footballing superpowers surely we could do the same.

Doesn’t say much about this country 

Without getting too political we are just as corrupt if not more so than Italy. Just over here it wears a top hat and a monocle.

Money has and always will talk in Britain and the most that will happen is Man City get a big fine.

Expect to see the C level execs of the Premier League all sporting new Rolexes when this blows over. 

Edited by Dames
  • Like 1

I see people are talking a lot about american owners and this super league.

I hear apple could possibly bid huge for prem rights taking them away from sky ?

Now if they win and want to push or manipulate the league then the more american owners there are then the more yes votes they will recieve.

All get ready for 6 15 minute halfs 🤣🤣

There’s not a lot of precedent here. We know from experience that the PL is a bit pussyfooted when it comes to sanctioning the big teams, but this appears to be quite a big deal. These charges seem to be far over and above de rigeur FFP ‘irregularities’ and appear to amount to systemic piss-taking. 

As others have alluded to, it depends on the other clubs’ appetite for punishment- which probably depends on how many skeletons they have in their own closets.

Whatever happens, it’s going to drag on for years.

The sad thing is, that those who monitor these kind of situations probably pay more attention to teams like us, than they do Man City. It’s quite clear that City and Chelsea have been doing something illegal for years now. But will anything ever be done about it? They should be relegated, but they won’t be. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dorsetboy said:

I see people are talking a lot about american owners and this super league.

I hear apple could possibly bid huge for prem rights taking them away from sky ?

Now if they win and want to push or manipulate the league then the more american owners there are then the more yes votes they will recieve.

All get ready for 6 15 minute halfs 🤣🤣

They’re not halves it there are six of ‘em…

1 hour ago, turtmcfly said:

The sheer seriousness/extent of the charges and the length of time they cover (if they can't be lawyered away) would seem to preclude a mere wrist-slapping. 

At the same time it suggests a prolonged wait while MC fight the charges before any punishment is meted out (a period which will doubtless get portrayed as the PL backing down/going soft). 

I totally agree. I imagine MC have always known it will eventually catch up on them. While MC fight the charges, they will probably start an all out PR campaign to ensure they can control and frame the agenda. They’ll start putting out ridiculous “we’re going to be thrown out” stories. And like you say, when the actual punishment is meted out, PL will inevitably look weak.

34 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

The sad thing is, that those who monitor these kind of situations probably pay more attention to teams like us, than they do Man City. It’s quite clear that City and Chelsea have been doing something illegal for years now. But will anything ever be done about it? They should be relegated, but they won’t be. 

WTAF? The sad thing is seeing here the result of the usual FT race to see who can push the 'George Whitebread does conspiracy theories' envelope the most. That and someone (ah, yes, of course!) liking it.

Again, because you clearly missed it... 'Those who monitor these kind of situations' have just charged Man City with over 100 breaches of financial rules after a four-year investigation.

• Haha 1