Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

How much money could LCFC make from Europa League?

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

I want to play the biggest sides in Europe  ......

we missed out last group stage because we were seeded and the draw was kind 

I’m confident we would not finish bottom of our group so we get EL feb onwards 

I'd love to us play to big sides, and I'd love to go to Read Madrid/Barca/Bayern away (!), but them sort of sides would batter us. Consider that Bayern scored 10 in their two trips to London this season.

Rodgers' record in the CL with Celtic is not favourable.

I'd rather us progress via Europa League first. There are still big sides, good sides, but I'd fancy us more. Rangers and Wolves have both made the last 16 this season and we are at a similar/better level.

37 minutes ago, Ashley said:

We won't be seeded. 

We would face at least two of the biggest sides in Europe and playing for third would be the best possible scenario. 

We could do something like Sevilla and win the Europa league year on year? I'd be happy with that. 

As much as I want to us to be in the CL again Europa league wouldn't be that... bad  

19 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I'd love to us play to big sides, and I'd love to go to Read Madrid/Barca/Bayern away (!), but them sort of sides would batter us. Consider that Bayern scored 10 in their two trips to London this season.

Rodgers' record in the CL with Celtic is not favourable.

I'd rather us progress via Europa League first. There are still big sides, good sides, but I'd fancy us more. Rangers and Wolves have both made the last 16 this season and we are at a similar/better level.

The fruits of our last CL journey are evident in the state of the art training ground 

a good draw should get us to the last 16

an average draw should get us in the EL last 32

why would you want to play EL group stages rather than CL and miss out on a possible trip to Barca or Munich or Turin or real plus forty million quid min ??

if you’d rather be wolves than Chelsea this season in Europe then sure, wobble that head !!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

The fruits of our last CL journey are evident in the state of the art training ground 

a good draw should get us to the last 16

an average draw should get us in the EL last 32

why would you want to play EL group stages rather than CL and miss out on a possible trip to Barca or Munich or Turin or real plus forty million quid min ??

if you’d rather be wolves than Chelsea this season in Europe then sure, wobble that head !!!

Because, like I said, I'd fancy our chances better in the Europa League atm. I'm not bothered about the financial side; I'd rather see us progress as far as we can in Europe and I feel the Europa League offers us that more.

Yes I'd rather be Wolves because they're in with a good chance of getting into the last 8 this season. Chelsea got out the CL group stage then battered by Bayern Munich at home and will go out when the competition restarts.

Edited by Fox92
clarification
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Bilo said:

The flipside of there being an extra round in the Europa League is that you're likely to get some opposition where you can rotate the squad a bit.

You'd hope we wouldn't need our big guns to despatch sides like F91 Dudelange for example. 

The best policy might be to hit the first few group games hard, try to qualify early and play the ressies for the dead rubber. 

Top googling there mate!!

20 hours ago, Out Foxed said:

it's not a myth though is it. smalle squads and teams unused to regular european travel struggle. especially when those games are in far flung places and they occur on a Thursday rather than Tuesday/Wednesday.

The same happens in the Champions League.

In 16/17, we struggled to cope with Wednesdays to Saturday’s - the exact same resting time as Thursdays to Sundays. 

CL could/can still involve trips to Russia, Turkey, Kazahanstan, Azerbaijan, Israel and or Cyprus. Those countries have all had teams in the CL within living memory. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

On a general note, we should be aiming for the type of achievements Sevilla and Gladbach regularly do. European football, if it’s EL you use as a learning experience. 

More European football boost your coefficient up. Draws get better 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

We're not big enough to turn down European football- we want to be in the Champions League but if we can't, Europa League is something to take seriously. Our experience of Europe improves, still some very decent sides in it and as Cardiff_Fox says, our ranking increases and our draws are better in the future.

• Like 3

I'm curious if somebody could clear this up for me.

Assume we finish 5th and Manchester United finish 4th. If they win the Europa league and go into the Champions league, would we get their league place champions league spot? With our Europa league place dropping down to 7th? I remember one year we had 5 in the cl and 3 in the el.

Alternatively if Wolves win the Europa League it doesn't affect us now anyway.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Corky said:

We're not big enough to turn down European football- we want to be in the Champions League but if we can't, Europa League is something to take seriously. Our experience of Europe improves, still some very decent sides in it and as Cardiff_Fox says, our ranking increases and our draws are better in the future.

We dobt have the squad depth. It will cost us a top 6 finish next year. It doesn't offervthe cash to justify expanding the squad. I am hoping we get pl and that we can expand the squad.  

If we do get the uel we have a hard choice to make.... personally I would treat it like the carebo cup

2 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

We dobt have the squad depth. It will cost us a top 6 finish next year. It doesn't offervthe cash to justify expanding the squad. I am hoping we get pl and that we can expand the squad.  

If we do get the uel we have a hard choice to make.... personally I would treat it like the carebo cup

So it's basically top 4 or 8th and below?

13 hours ago, leicesterseddon said:

I can see your point. But also I just think we have to be realistic that we should embrace opportunities as they come.

The country is full of clubs following a “maybe tomorrow, Jack” approach trying to build up their squads for a brilliant season in the future that never comes.

Ultimately in football, there are few guarantees - managers move on, players get a big move, etc. Best laid plans don’t always come off. 
Ultimately - of course CL qualification is better, but is it’s the Europa then let’s not turn up noses up at it either. 

Excellent post.

12 hours ago, Stevosevic said:

How are Leicester fans turning up their nose at the Europa League let alone winning it?

The fixture congestion thing is a myth - it's one more game than the Champions League. One. 

Agree with the first line.

As for the second, being pedantic it's one more fixture so two games.

12 hours ago, Out Foxed said:

it's not a myth though is it. smalle squads and teams unused to regular european travel struggle. especially when those games are in far flung places and they occur on a Thursday rather than Tuesday/Wednesday.

Wolves have proved with their small squad they haven't struggled this season.

We might but nobody knows.

We all want CL but let's try and enjoy and embrace the progress we've made overall in the past 18 months.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Excellent post.

Agree with the first line.

As for the second, being pedantic it's one more fixture so two games.

Wolves have proved with their small squad they haven't struggled this season.

We might but nobody knows.

We all want CL but let's try and enjoy and embrace the progress we've made overall in the past 18 months.

Although they Haven't “struggled”

Wolves might feel like with out Europa league football they could’ve gatecrashed the big 4 and qualified for Champions league football with ease.

Also worth pointing out that comparisons between us and how 'well' wolves have done is a nonsense.

They play a totally different game to us, a lot slower, less intensity and high press. Their style is more suited to more games and a smaller squad. We need a huge spend to not have a Burnleyesq Premier League season next year.

2 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Although they Haven't “struggled” Wolves might feel like without Europa league football they could’ve gatecrashed the big 4 and qualified for Champions league football with ease.

Yes. Possibly. And if my auntie had balls etc.

Not sure you'll find too many Wolves fans unhappy with the season they're having.

40 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Also worth pointing out that comparisons between us and how 'well' wolves have done is a nonsense.

They play a totally different game to us, a lot slower, less intensity and high press. Their style is more suited to more games and a smaller squad. We need a huge spend to not have a Burnleyesq Premier League season next year.

We’d go straight into the groups unlike Burnley, plus they went in a qualifier anyway - they really set the tone for a poor season by ****ing up their only European campaign for about 50 years. 

The attitude towards the Europa league from some of our fans is all wrong, I understand why Man United and Liverpool fans would look down on it, they’ve won the biggest competitions regularly - we’ve barely been in them 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Stadt said:

The attitude towards the Europa league from some of our fans is all wrong, I understand why Man United and Liverpool fans would look down on it, they’ve won the biggest competitions regularly - we’ve barely been in them 

You feel there's a worryingly growing entitled sense from some of our fans about it.

Perhaps it's more from the younger fans who haven't sat through decades of tosh like some of us.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

You feel there's a worryingly growing entitled sense from some of our fans about it.

Perhaps it's more from the younger fans who haven't sat through decades of tosh like some of us.

I’m in my early 20s and have gotten the impression it’s fans that don’t go to games than are more likely to turn their noses up at it. Which is obviously a generalisation and probably not true but every match (aways more so) going fan I know would love the Europa, a few would probably prefer it in some ways.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Stadt said:

I’m in my early 20s and have gotten the impression it’s fans that don’t go to games than are more likely to turn their noses up at it. Which is obviously a generalisation and probably not true but every match (aways more so) going fan I know would love the Europa, a few would probably prefer it in some ways.

I expect the club to take europa seriously if we in it.  But for me though if we end up been in europa, it means the season has imploded and we did a serious bottle job, I think thats why some people are saying they will be disappointed if we in it, not because they consider it a tinpot cup.

If we were to win it however, I would soon forget this season, as winning a trophy beats just competing in one, even a bigger one.

I think it’s crazy when people underplay this comp. For a club our size it’s a great competition and one we should be taking very seriously.

Any club even some of the big 6 should take this comp seriously. Chelsea and Utd even in recent seasons clearly want to win it.

I understand people saying that for a club our size it’ll be hard with the more games normally, however the difference with our qualification is we are straight to the groups! That’s a huge positive and why it’s worth going for!

The Qualification stages are what kill teams, wolves and burnley had 6 more games until they even got to the group! That is a huge issue and I think that’s where this myth comes from that the EL is just a problem and not worth qualifying for.

Id agree if we came 7th we should maybe not go all out for it, but going straight to the group stages is a huge boost and no excuses of too many games etc. 10 games to get to a QF. No big deal especially if you can rotate in some games and maybe the earlier domestic cup games.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

Europa League is two more games than Champions League (if you get to the latter stages). We will qualify for the group stage, so we don’t have to go through the long qualification process 

There’s no Carabao Cup or FA Cup Replays next season 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Stadt said:

I have spoken to Man U fans who travel away and as a set of fans, they actually like their recent Europa League runs. The CL once you’ve regularly qualifying and have a decent coefficient, you end up playing the same teams time and time again 

• Like 1