Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

How much money could LCFC make from Europa League?

5 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

You'd rather finish top 4 than win the  Europa League? Are you mad. It's genuine silverware that gets added to our history and trophy cabinet.

I don't know why big club armchair fans, and Spurs fans, get mocked on here when people come out with stuff like this.

Plus winning it would get us back in the Champions League. 

• Like 2

It's worth pointing out that winning it would give us a seeded place in the following season's Champions League, as well as, you know, giving us an actual European trophy to put in the cabinet.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fox92 said:

You'd rather finish top 4 than win the  Europa League? Are you mad. It's genuine silverware that gets added to our history and trophy cabinet.

I don't know why big club armchair fans, and Spurs fans, get mocked on here when people come out with stuff like this.

I would rather finish top four than play in the Europa league. If we have to play then I want to win it.  The cost is the same.

Just now, foxinsocks said:

I would rather finish top four than play in the Europa league. If we have to play then I want to win it.  The cost is the same.

Right. I thought you meant you’d rather finish top 4 than win the Europa League. Maybe it was the way I read your initial post..

10 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

There is one other very obvious benefit of winning the thing, too.

12 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

6 minutes ago, ParkerPen said:

europa league will derail the league season, and the odds are we arent good enough to win it.
literally no prem side wants it

Wolves could win it and finish top six this season.

If you offered me the UEL trophy next season and finishing eighth I'd take it.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

We need serious Investment in our squad to compete in Europa League.

Wolves dont play the same intensity as we do when we are on it, there is no way we could do that for the extra games with our threadbare squad. We have struggled to maintain intensity for 38 games. We probably need 5 or 6 new quality players without losing any of our best players whichever competition we are in.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

A chance to play in uel v a chance to finish top 4 (winning uel is unlikely but we would all want to win if we are in it)?

38 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

A trophy and CL qualification with seeding - what’s not to like !

17 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Wolves dont play the same intensity as we do when we are on it, there is no way we could do that for the extra games with our threadbare squad. We have struggled to maintain intensity for 38 games. We probably need 5 or 6 new quality players without losing any of our best players whichever competition we are in.

back down to earth

I want the CL but there is an obvious argument that CL 21/22 will be better for the fans  ! 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ParkerPen said:

europa league will derail the league season, and the odds are we arent good enough to win it.

literally no prem side wants it

I don’t get this. Why is it so different to the Champions League in regards to hindering our league season?

Yes, there is an extra round, but hopefully there will be a few group games when we can rotate a bit. You wouldn’t get the with the Champions League.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Surely we need even more investment to compete in the Champions League then!!

Another thought: We want to finish in the top four to play in the CL, but for a club/squad our size it's better not to have European distraction when you're trying to get into the top four, so what actually do we want?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I don’t get this. Why is it so different to the Champions League in regards to hindering our league season?

Yes, there is an extra round, but hopefully there will be a few group games when we can rotate a bit. You wouldn’t get the with the Champions League.

We will get a lot more money from Champions League which enables us to build the squad more.

With Europa we will pretty much have our existing squad, maybe a few frees and a signing or 2 if we sell. Much tougher. Our existing squad wont cope, we cant afford a spending spree hence it's a hindrance. Fun for the fans maybe but not good for the club or the development of it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Surely we need even more investment to compete in the Champions League then!!

Another thought: We want to finish in the top four to play in the CL, but for a club/squad our size it's better not to have European distraction when you're trying to get into the top four, so what actually do we want?

We get a lot more money though. We get pittance for Europa. 

Champions League gives us more money, attracts a bigger pool of players. It's much better for the club.

Yes Europa is great for the fans to visit CSKA Vladivostock or wherever on a Thursday night, but it's not as useful for the club long term development IMO. Burnley got into it, West Ham did have they built and improved? Or won it?

Champions League is where it's at for long term change. 

• Like 2

The flipside of there being an extra round in the Europa League is that you're likely to get some opposition where you can rotate the squad a bit.

You'd hope we wouldn't need our big guns to despatch sides like F91 Dudelange for example. 

The best policy might be to hit the first few group games hard, try to qualify early and play the ressies for the dead rubber. 

1 hour ago, Foxin_Mad said:

We get a lot more money though. We get pittance for Europa. 

Champions League gives us more money, attracts a bigger pool of players. It's much better for the club.

Yes Europa is great for the fans to visit CSKA Vladivostock or wherever on a Thursday night, but it's not as useful for the club long term development IMO. Burnley got into it, West Ham did have they built and improved? Or won it?

Champions League is where it's at for long term change. 

I don't disagree with this at all, and it's definitely the most viable way to change the club long term. 

My concern is that we could throw the kitchen sink at getting out of the group, fall short and end up in the EL anyway or even out of Europe altogether if the draw is particularly nasty. That said, second in a kind enough draw wouldn't be impossible. 

8 hours ago, Fox92 said:

They're essentially the same in that they both get us CL football. Perhaps what he meant is that he'd rather get Top 4 than be kicked out of EL in the quarters or semis (if we made it that far) because of the huge monetary disparity.

33 minutes ago, Bilo said:

I don't disagree with this at all, and it's definitely the most viable way to change the club long term. 

My concern is that we could throw the kitchen sink at getting out of the group, fall short and end up in the EL anyway or even out of Europe altogether if the draw is particularly nasty. That said, second in a kind enough draw wouldn't be impossible. 

Ending up in the EL Round of 32 is nothing to be scoffed at. We still get a huge amount from CL, and the only decent prize money in the EL is in the latter stages of the knockout rounds anyway. And if we somehow managed to win the whole thing, we could be back in CL without having to finish in Top 4.

The whole argument may be moot as we probably need to win against Man U to make it, which is unlikely.

1 minute ago, FoxesFourLife said:

Not sure if this has been answered elsewhere but just say we manage to finish 4th but Man U win the Europa League will we lose out on champions league also if Man U pip us to 4th and they win the Europa league will we qualify for the champions league or Europa    

No. You can have a maximum of five teams in the UCL from any one country to cover the first scenario, so Man Utd wouldn't replace us.

The only time it would have been an issue was if, say Spurs had won the UCL finishing sixth and Man Utd won the Europa finishing fifth. Then we'd have dropped out on a fourth place finish.

We also wouldn't qualify in fifth if they win the UEL. Any Europa win doesn't supercede the league, it just bumps them up to top seed in the draw.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bilo said:

It's worth pointing out that winning it would give us a seeded place in the following season's Champions League, as well as, you know, giving us an actual European trophy to put in the cabinet.

But if we qualify for the champions league and end up 3rd in the group we’ll be put in the europa league anyway 

2 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

No. You can have a maximum of five teams in the UCL from any one country to cover the first scenario, so Man Utd wouldn't replace us.

The only time it would have been an issue was if, say Spurs had won the UCL finishing sixth and Man Utd won the Europa finishing fifth. Then we'd have dropped out on a fourth place finish.

We also wouldn't qualify in fifth if they win the UEL. Any Europa win doesn't supercede the league, it just bumps them up to top seed in the draw.

So 4th we need for UCL cheers