Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

How much money could LCFC make from Europa League?

12 hours ago, ParkerPen said:

europa league will derail the league season, and the odds are we arent good enough to win it.

literally no prem side wants it

Yeah when Chelsea in 2018/19 and Man U in 2016/17 won it they really looked like they didn't want it . It suggest you take a look at the videos of them celebrating, they all look pretty happy!

If you can get by the league phase its a good comp!

Voldemort? Literally got no idea what that means. 

On topic - I'd take cup final/ winning cup over getting slaughtered by Real/ Juve in the group stages any day of the week. The feeling of being in a cup final isn't just about the game. It's the day. The emotion. The journey there and that mix of nerves and excitement that your team can do it. Plus, we last won a cup trophy over 20 years ago. Putting Europe in the cabinet would be phenomenal.

Didn't realise how much money can be made from Europa either. Always thought it was a few million but definitely worth it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FoxesFourLife said:

European football will not be such a burden on the squad next season there planning on excluding teams in Europe from playing in the league cup or allowing the development team to play instead.

This is a valid point. As much as I disagree with the devaluation of the League Cup, having it taken away from our fixture list won't hurt one bit in terms of our squad.

• Like 2

Don’t get suckered into this Sky Sports, PL is the be all and end all bollocks.

The thought of more away days on the continent is class. I really hope we make the Champions League but now that it’s sunk in that Leicester will play in Europe again, I cannot wait. 

Whether it’s Munich or Vienna, it’ll be class. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

We will get a lot more money from Champions League which enables us to build the squad more.

With Europa we will pretty much have our existing squad, maybe a few frees and a signing or 2 if we sell. Much tougher. Our existing squad wont cope, we cant afford a spending spree hence it's a hindrance. Fun for the fans maybe but not good for the club or the development of it.

I can see your point. But also I just think we have to be realistic that we should embrace opportunities as they come.

The country is full of clubs following a “maybe tomorrow, Jack” approach trying to build up their squads for a brilliant season in the future that never comes.

Ultimately in football, there are few guarantees - managers move on, players get a big move, etc. Best laid plans don’t always come off. 

Ultimately - of course CL qualification is better, but is it’s the Europa then let’s not turn up noses up at it either. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 17/07/2020 at 09:23, Ted Maul said:

That's the problem with modern football, everything is about money.

I don't know when the 'big 6' armchair fan bollocks about not wanting to be in the Europa League started, but I'm not having it- there are plenty of serious away days in there and that's what it's always primarily about as a football fan. 

If that's where we end up, so be it- hopefully we get to travel because it would be an amazing experience and we would have an excellent chance of seeing European knockout football after Christmas again.

Exaxtly this Sir. 

Some of the best trips I've had as a football fan are following England. Especially when you go to the likes of Lithuania, Estonia and the like. 

I also think we would be better off in the Europa as we will likely be seeded.

Imagine a group like Leicester, Motherwell, Ludogrets and APOEL Nicosia

Easily winnable and onto the next stages. 

Edited by Ashley
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

How are Leicester fans turning up their nose at the Europa League let alone winning it?

The fixture congestion thing is a myth - it's one more game than the Champions League. One. 

it's not a myth though is it. smalle squads and teams unused to regular european travel struggle. especially when those games are in far flung places and they occur on a Thursday rather than Tuesday/Wednesday.

26 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Exaxtly this Sir. 

Some of the best trips I've had as a football fan are following England. Especially when you go to the likes of Lithuania, Estonia and the like. 

I also think we would be better off in the Europa as we will likely be seeded.

Imagine a group like Leicester, Motherwell, Ludogrets and APOEL Nicosia

Easily winnable and onto the next stages. 

Imagine Nicosia away in September. Chaos. Collective sunstroke and alcohol poisoning for the whole away end.

• Like 1

I obviously want to get Champions League, but I've always said if we could establish ourselves as a Sevilla-esque Europa League dominating force I'd be very happy.

State of the art training ground, regularly going deep into a European competition and reaping the rewards from our academy? Yes please. Two out of three soon is pretty damn good.

• Like 4

I'm admittedly very ignorant when it comes to this competition.

My assumptions are always the following:

- much, much less money than CL

- more games

- further travel (in many cases)

- Thursday nights (always?)

Would love someone with better knowledge of the competition to help clarify any of that.

18 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

I obviously want to get Champions League, but I've always said if we could establish ourselves as a Sevilla-esque Europa League dominating force I'd be very happy.

State of the art training ground, regularly going deep into a European competition and reaping the rewards from our academy? Yes please. Two out of three soon is pretty damn good.

This.....

• Like 1

Would people swap a genuine chance at winning the UEL for getting knocked out of the group stages of the UCL? 

We'd be seeded 4th if we finish 4th right? Would guarantee at least 4 great games but early elimination is a distinct possibility. Finishing 3rd would still land us a knockout spot in the UEL though. 

I'd still take UCL but would be interesting to see people's views.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

Would people swap a genuine chance at winning the UEL for getting knocked out of the group stages of the UCL? 

We'd be seeded 4th if we finish 4th right? Would guarantee at least 4 great games but early elimination is a distinct possibility. Finishing 3rd would still land us a knockout spot in the UEL though. 

I'd still take UCL but would be interesting to see people's views.

We'd be seeded 4th whether we finish 3rd or 4th.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Anyone who would rather play  EL than CL ....... give your head a wobble ! 

The question is more "would you rather fail in the CL or succeed in the EL?" 

I'd still play CL but some, I'm sure, would rather be in a competition we have a great chance at going far in as opposed to one we'd be hard pressed to get out of the group. 

16 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

I'd still play CL but some, I'm sure, would rather be in a competition we have a great chance at going far in as opposed to one we'd be hard pressed to get out of the group. 

This is the reality, the best of both worlds is to qualify for UCL and if not quite good enough finish third and drop down, but I recall Celtic making a final of the Europa league, absolute best i'd expect us to achieve in Champions league is possibly last 16, think we'd have an outside chance of winning the Europa league with some good draws and a bit of luck, an people forget that offers Champions league the following season, i'd personally take finishing 14th next season and winning the Europa league.

Edited by Beachyboy

28 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

I want to play the biggest sides in Europe  ......

we missed out last group stage because we were seeded and the draw was kind 

I’m confident we would not finish bottom of our group so we get EL feb onwards 

2 hours ago, sdb said:

I'm admittedly very ignorant when it comes to this competition.

My assumptions are always the following:

- much, much less money than CL

- more games

- further travel (in many cases)

- Thursday nights (always?)

Would love someone with better knowledge of the competition to help clarify any of that.

- Yea, but not to be sniffed at.

- We are straight into the group stage, so no qualifying rounds. One extra tie of knockout rounds if we progress.

- Probably will mean some longer trips, but I don’t think it’ll be anything crazy.

- Yes, but Thursday to Sunday is no different to Wednesday to Saturday in the CL. Don’t forget as well that often we had to play Sunday in the PL and then Tuesday in the CL in 2016, which meant we had to rotate for the Sunday match.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Anyone who would rather play  EL than CL ....... give your head a wobble ! 

We won't be seeded. 

We would face at least two of the biggest sides in Europe and playing for third would be the best possible scenario. 

We could do something like Sevilla and win the Europa league year on year? I'd be happy with that. 

As much as I want to us to be in the CL again Europa league wouldn't be that... bad  

• Like 1