Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

How much money could LCFC make from Europa League?

41 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I have spoken to Man U fans who travel away and as a set of fans, they actually like their recent Europa League runs. The CL once you’ve regularly qualifying and have a decent coefficient, you end up playing the same teams time and time again 

But that’s the point .....we haven’t.  I appreciate the covid issue may ruin the away trips but we don’t know that for sure yet.  And this could be our only chance in the next five years or so to make the CL.  Who knows what european football will look like by then. 

you have to deal with the here and now.  Of course back in August we would have been ecstatic to think that we could be in with a chance of CL after game 37 after being in cup quarter and semis but that isn’t the reality. The reality is that we’ve been ensconced in that CL place since  September and to drop out now would be a huge wasted opportunity - for everyone .   People who make the argument that ‘we would have bitten your right arm off ‘ as a justification for an outcome are usually covering up the disappointment they feel and making the outcome feel tolerable when it really shouldn’t.  I get that the manager may have to deal with the players in a different way but we should be able to recognise the reality.   The EL is not a substitute for the CL on almost every level .....we are not serial qualifiers for Europe who can enjoy a ‘different ‘ experience.   I want to be in the CL and the club wants to be in the CL ......my reasons are not financial but I assure you that the clubs are.  Trying to bridge that annual finance gap to the traditional big six requires assistance ........ 

the thread was created  to illustrate the potential income differences  of EL v CL.  They are significant. 

Obviously we want CL qualification, the prestige and extra income will be a huge bonus. However, let's just have this said that we are in Europe next season and that cannot be sniffed at, it's what we all hoped for last summer going in to the 2019/20 season.

I will be gutted if we finish 5th but the quick turnaround of the start of the 2020/21 season means it'll have to be put to one side and we'll then be playing in Europe and maybe we get to go to a few away games towards 2021. 

Two massive games left, lets finish the job and look forward to another roller coaster European adventure.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

But that’s the point .....we haven’t.  I appreciate the covid issue may ruin the away trips but we don’t know that for sure yet.  And this could be our only chance in the next five years or so to make the CL.  Who knows what european football will look like by then. 

you have to deal with the here and now.  Of course back in August we would have been ecstatic to think that we could be in with a chance of CL after game 37 after being in cup quarter and semis but that isn’t the reality. The reality is that we’ve been ensconced in that CL place since  September and to drop out now would be a huge wasted opportunity - for everyone .   People who make the argument that ‘we would have bitten your right arm off ‘ as a justification for an outcome are usually covering up the disappointment they feel and making the outcome feel tolerable when it really shouldn’t.  I get that the manager may have to deal with the players in a different way but we should be able to recognise the reality.   The EL is not a substitute for the CL on almost every level .....we are not serial qualifiers for Europe who can enjoy a ‘different ‘ experience.   I want to be in the CL and the club wants to be in the CL ......my reasons are not financial but I assure you that the clubs are.  Trying to bridge that annual finance gap to the traditional big six requires assistance ........ 

the thread was created  to illustrate the potential income differences  of EL v CL.  They are significant. 

I wasn’t making it reference to us. I was making in reference to Man U and Liverpool’s fans attitudes to the Europa League as per the post I was replying to

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

Just now, Cardiff_Fox said:

I wasn’t making it reference to us. I was making in reference to Man U and Liverpool’s fans attitudes to the Europa League as per the post I was replying to

I know - I was just using it to illustrate the relevance to us .......  I’m not being entitled ......I’m just someone who realises that if something is there it needs to be grabbed with both hands because it could be a long time till it appears again ...... people will say that this argument was trotted out in 2016 and here we are just four years on ....but that’s the point .....kasper, vards and players we were able to afford to bring in on the back of that campaign ......who knows where we will be four years on ......

9 hours ago, Stadt said:

I’m in my early 20s and have gotten the impression it’s fans that don’t go to games than are more likely to turn their noses up at it. Which is obviously a generalisation and probably not true but every match (aways more so) going fan I know would love the Europa, a few would probably prefer it in some ways.

We've also got unhappy memories of 1997 and 2000 in the old UEFA Cup which I'd like to put right, too.

Anyway, let's hope we get at least 4th.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Corky said:

We've also got unhappy memories of 1997 and 2000 in the old UEFA Cup which I'd like to put right, too.

Anyway, let's hope we get at least 4th.

Never had the rub of the green against A.Madrid and against Red Star Belgrade!

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Never had the rub of the green against A.Madrid and against Red Star Belgrade!

Red star ?   We played the away tie in Switzerland ....... they were just much better then we were ....   the atleti decisions From ‘97 were indeed perverse and corrupt  .....

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Red star ?   We played the away tie in Switzerland ....... they were just much better then we were ....   the atleti decisions From ‘97 were indeed perverse and corrupt  .....

Collymore missed an open goal in the first leg, and Darren Eadie hit the post and missed another good chance in the away. They were much better then us but we had our moments and with a little luck it could have been different.

The ref for the Madrid game was a shocker!

Edited by coolhandfox

As much as I would be disappointed that we hadn't made the CL, the EL would be brilliant. Teams we could have a good chance against and we could really have a go at trying to go deep into the tournament. It also would allow us a chance to give good minutes to players on cusp of the team to keep things fresh. Also with being in pot 4 for the CL draw, we could be out after 4 games if we get a horrid group. Either way, its going to be class. 

• Like 1

The best case scenario is probably finish third in the CL group stage put play really well and just miss out. Then we go and win the Europa playing all over the gaff in far flung shitholes like Kharkiv and Astana

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sdb said:

@The Bear be keen to hear your thoughts on this.

Do you think it cost you a CL place this season? Any idea how much Wolves made from EL this season? Pros and cons?

Just seen this. 

No the EL hasn't cost us a CL place. In fact we seem to be better when we are playing twice a week regularly and get into a good rhythm. We haven't been good after a bigger gap between games. We had a week off before we lost to Arsenal and that kick-started a run where we lost to Sheff Utd in injury time, then lost two points to Burnley in injury time. Those lost 3-4 points are what has cost us CL. Oh and VAR! Without that we'd probably be in the top 4.

Not sure how much money we make from the EL. I know it's not usually much historically compared to the CL and it barely used to be worth it given how many more games you play. The main benefit is European football to attract better players, and the chance of a CL place by winning it. For those teams who are regular top 4 challengers then it probably isn't worth it to them as they can attract the players any way. Other than if they  won it they'd probably rather not be in it. 

I hope we manage to qualify for it again next year as it would seem like a small step backwards not being in it, even though we're into the knockout stages of the EL and have still done well in the league alongside that. If Arsenal win the FA Cup then 7th place doesn't get a EL place as it normally would if one of the top 6 wins it. Which makes things tighter than they should have been. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Thanks 1

I'm quite happy for 5th. Beginning of season I think everyone would've taken it. Weve got a depleted sqaud and are raiding academy players at the minute so there is obviously some heavy work to be done in the transfer window but fair play and well done City.

I'm at peace now with 5th. I looked at the Europa Groups for this seasons comp and barring the risk of a few  few long hauls, there's equally a pretty good chance of getting a very Western Europe group with trips to Spain / Portugal / Scandinavia etc.

Everyone just picks the Azerbaijani and Kazakh teams to make a point of dismissing the competition as a drain on time and resource.