Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Were Leicester fans this unhappy under MON?

Just now, Stevosevic said:

Genuine question. 

under MON let's be honest, we played quite turgid Burnley style football and we also went on some pretty bad runs that involved losing to the dross of the league.

Or is it the title run that means top half finishes are no longer that satisfying?

1st part, not entirely true. We were direct and used a lot of crosses but it wasn't comparable to Burnley. Sheff Utd would be a closer comparison.

2nd part - nail on head. We've become entitled, expecting top half as a bare minimum.

Widespread access to the internet + bad runs of form = ah! Everything's gone wrong, we're s***, sack the manager, from a chunk of fans.

Edited by Mark_w
  • Like 4

"If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor"

I think that just about sums where we are at now. Having dined at the top table, many expect to be regular attendees.

There are fans of this club who have only really known success, a middling league table finish and a league cup win might not carry much currency these days.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

There doesn’t appear to be a do or die attitude from the team or the manager. Everyone seems so comfortable. 

We may have played some turgid football under MON but you knew they were all giving it their all not that our current football is all 90mins sexy.

Yeah this is the problem for me. Seems like a jolly boys club nowadays. We've seen what amazing team spirit and cohesion can achieve but when it's time to pull your socks up and work some of the current crop don't want it

O'Neill had some horrendous individual results (3-0 at home to Coventry in the FA Cup, 3-0 at Derby, 5-0 at Arsenal and some dull home defeats against Wimbledon, Sheffield Wednesday, West Ham etc) so you'd get plenty of complaining on here.

Winning trophies would earn him more backing, plus the restraints he had financially, but fundamentally football fans will never accept bad results and runs of form. Nostalgia does narrow the mind and make everything seem rosier when it probably was a mixed time.

• Like 3

Key difference is you felt O’Neill’s team were pushing themselves to the very maximum in effort. Sometimes we’d get outplayed and well beaten. 

At times this bunch can be expectational but you feel as if they don’t push themselves to the maximum of their efforts. 

There’s no doubt the pattern of results is a factor too. O’Neill we would go through up and down spells but normally never a tragic run of form 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, shailen said:

We suffer from winning the title in 15/16. Expectations are now that we should get European football every season and have a good cup run. 

I don't think our fanbase's expectations are outlandish, I know we have some form but I think pre-season, most would have accepted what felt like progress on and off the pitch with a group of young players playing tidy enough football this season.

But fan's expectations change in accordance with time, if the most ardent happy clapper tells you they're going to be satisfied with 5th given where we were a matter of weeks ago, they're lying.

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I don't think our fanbase's expectations are outlandish, I know we have some form but I think pre-season, most would have accepted what felt like progress on and off the pitch with a group of young players playing tidy enough football this season.

But fan's expectations change in accordance with time, if the most ardent happy clapper tells you they're going to be satisfied with 5th given where we were a matter of weeks ago, they're lying.

I definitely agree and if we do not get champions league from where we were then it's going to be disappointing.

But to answer the original question, under MON, we were much more erratic as a team, but we didn't have the title win to follow up on. If Ranieri had finished 8th that season, then we would have loved the outcome this season more. 

It's not a criticism of the fanbase from me, I'm just trying to rationalise why people are fuming with the way we've ended this season. 

• Like 1

Just now, bovril said:

MON team were underrated as a footballing side. I remember some other fans buying into the myth that we played shit, boring football. It's odd that some Leicester fans have started to believe it too.

The football was functional and uncomplicated, but the intensity and commitment was always there. And there were plenty of exciting and memorable games.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

We won the title 4 years ago. MON brought us up from the Championship when we were a yo-yo club. Maybe we've become entitled, but I think expectations amongst fans are much higher now (rightly or wrongly).

Just a question - Do you think we have become entitled? 

Expectations are higher due to the better players we have (of course I may be wrong) Personally I want to see the team I support play for the shirt. MON every team always played for us, and Pearson we can never question their performances.

We are very loyal fans and we are always going to lose roughly 10 games per season. I just want to see our team play to their strengths and put pride in their performance for us. Technically we have arguably the best players we have ever had yet the basics and attitude does not seem to be the same. We capitulate too easily and the effort varies week to week. Of course we will not be at our best every game, however for 6 months something is wrong. Now I do think our best 11 are a superb side with good pressing, quick combination and attacking play. I do think we have one of the best sides in the country, yet since Christmas we are 15-16th. That for me is no way near good enough for our team. 

Been around along time and to think people are moaning in what will be our 2nd best league finish in around 60 years, there still is a huge gap between us and the big clubs In Jan a struggling Man Utd who have been pants brought in Bruno Fernandez and has turned our season around we brought in a rivals cast off CB. Gutted if we fail to clinch a CL spot but we move on

13 minutes ago, davieG said:

There doesn’t appear to be a do or die attitude from the team or the manager. Everyone seems so comfortable. 

We may have played some turgid football under MON but you knew they were all giving it their all not that our current football is all 90mins sexy.

To be fair, I thought the commitment and effort of the team against Sheffield United was first class.

I think the key difference here is thay during the MON era we were still major under dogs punching way over our weight, but now we can compete and we have the players that on their day can beat most of the teams in the league. The frustration comes from knowing this and "throwing" away CL potentially vs striving to get into Europe and getting there through hard graft.