Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Were Leicester fans this unhappy under MON?

Just now, MPH said:

yes i really did mean during their time with us and how they were seen by the wider football community whilst with us

Sure. Vardy's got roughly the same number of goals as Heskey in the PL in under half the games!

On 19/07/2020 at 22:28, Mark_w said:

Widespread access to the internet + bad runs of form = ah! Everything's gone wrong, we're s***, sack the manager, from a chunk of fans.

I don't think you can over-estimate the influence that the internet/message boards/unsocial media has had.

In the good old days, you'd have a right moan with your mates down the pub ... and at best a few people near to you, might hear something and think "he's got a valid point, we are boring and sh3t".    But that was it.

Now you've got  1000's of people you can get your "opinion", at the click of a button.    It's a sort of pandemic of pessimism and misery.    Coronavirus has got nothing on the spread of negativity.

Strangely though, optimism and happiness doesn't seem to spread as fast on unsocial media.   In theory, It could.  it just doesn't seem to.happen in practice.    It's a bit like dis-information..   A lie is halfway around the world, before the truth has got its boots on.

• Like 3

Guest An Sionnach

Both Ulstermen but very different , studious tactical Rodgers and madcap motivator O'Neil , which is best , history will judge but Martin was far more entertaining.

4 hours ago, bovril said:

And yet we're guaranteed European football for only the 5th time in our history, despite suffering more injuries to key players than I can remember for many years.

It is a very strange time we're living in, we're in 5th place, guaranteed European football, one point behind Chelsea and level with Man United in the final week of the season yet there's lots of negativity, understandable frustration at recent events and the manager's future being questioned.

One of the oddest seasons I can recall.

Different generations. Back then we had less expectation and were just happy to be in the Premier league and cause the odd upset. The cup finals glossed over what was in fact an average few years.

This generation has social media, football on the TV every single day and an apparent deeper knowledge into clubs finances, hyped up by the media plus the fact that TV money has risen to levels beyond comprehension. 

I refer to younger fans as the Fifa generation. Anyone who refers to attacking midfielders as CAM's or defensive midfielders as CDM's has (to quote Nigel Pearson) delusions of grandeur. 

They base future/potential signings on who they were able to sign in career mode. Real life players get less time to impress because they're not performing how they did on football manager.  All of a sudden just being in the Premier league isn't good enough and not winning every single game turns everyone into a football expert with every single coaching badge available and years worth of experience managing the very best sides in the world.

The age of information has turned everyone into an expert and given everyone a stage from which they can give their opinion with little to no repercussions. Some of those opinions gain more traction than others and spread. Those that spread are, unfortunately, more likely to be negative, because that's just the way of the world. Negativity spreads far quicker than positivity. 

Of course, the league win heightened expectations, but there are still those of us level headed enough to know it was a freak. We did waste an opportunity there but we now find ourselves in the position we should have been immediately after that year, it's just taken a couple of extra years to get there.

If you had told me 6 years ago that we would have a league title and another top 6 finish by the end of 2020 I'd have laughed in your face. I laughed when the owners came out with that comment that they wanted European football within 5 years. I'm fairly sure that the plan was always this, slowly build and challenge for European spots by about now, and that's what we've done. With our finances, FFP (we can argue about that another time) and infrastructure we still face the dangers of completely messing everything up if we go too big too soon.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as disappointed as the next fan to finish this season the way we have but we're about to move into one of the best training facilities in Europe and we're guaranteed European football next year and will be ranked 5th best side in England (still a maybe that we'll be higher) above the likes of Arsenal and Spurs. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Different generations. Back then we had less expectation and were just happy to be in the Premier league and cause the odd upset. The cup finals glossed over what was in fact an average few years.

This generation has social media, football on the TV every single day and an apparent deeper knowledge into clubs finances, hyped up by the media plus the fact that TV money has risen to levels beyond comprehension. 

I refer to younger fans as the Fifa generation. Anyone who refers to attacking midfielders as CAM's or defensive midfielders as CDM's has (to quote Nigel Pearson) delusions of grandeur. 

They base future/potential signings on who they were able to sign in career mode. Real life players get less time to impress because they're not performing how they did on football manager.  All of a sudden just being in the Premier league isn't good enough and not winning every single game turns everyone into a football expert with every single coaching badge available and years worth of experience managing the very best sides in the world.

The age of information has turned everyone into an expert and given everyone a stage from which they can give their opinion with little to no repercussions. Some of those opinions gain more traction than others and spread. Those that spread are, unfortunately, more likely to be negative, because that's just the way of the world. Negativity spreads far quicker than positivity. 

Of course, the league win heightened expectations, but there are still those of us level headed enough to know it was a freak. We did waste an opportunity there but we now find ourselves in the position we should have been immediately after that year, it's just taken a couple of extra years to get there.

If you had told me 6 years ago that we would have a league title and another top 6 finish by the end of 2020 I'd have laughed in your face. I laughed when the owners came out with that comment that they wanted European football within 5 years. I'm fairly sure that the plan was always this, slowly build and challenge for European spots by about now, and that's what we've done. With our finances, FFP (we can argue about that another time) and infrastructure we still face the dangers of completely messing everything up if we go too big too soon.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as disappointed as the next fan to finish this season the way we have but we're about to move into one of the best training facilities in Europe and we're guaranteed European football next year and will be ranked 5th best side in England (still a maybe that we'll be higher) above the likes of Arsenal and Spurs. 

I have to disagree with you on the average few years, they were in my opinion great years for the club, getting to 3 Cup finals and into Europe should never be looked back on as just average. 

• Like 1

It always felt like MON was getting the most out of the players he had. Everyone gave 100% and worked as a team we had some bad beats but we would normally bounce back.

We overachieved finishing top 10.

The difference is under all managers since Pearson we have had an indication of how good the team can be at the start of their tenure followed by horrendous runs of results.

Ranieri's run lasted a season, Shakespeare's lasted 6 games, Puel had an amazing first 10 games, Rodgers had a fantastic 6-8 months. In each case it dropped off big style and lead to relegation form.

The frustration comes from walking away from game after game thinking how have we lost? Dominate possession, create more chances, look the better team yet have nothing to show for it but stats. Seeing confidence ebb away and us turning into Spurs. Screaming in frustration at every floaty aimless cross easily mopped up by opposition centre halves. The biggest frustration is not seeing a reaction in the next game. MON's teams had plenty of bad results but rarely went on losing runs, every defeat hurt and was normally followed by a reaction whether it was stuffing Derby again or a battling away point. You didn't expect to win every game, but you went to every game thinking you could.

• Thanks 1