Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

1 hour ago, peach0000 said:

I can agree with most of it except I don't think Liverpool will win the league and I don't think Everton or Man Utd will be quite as high as you predict. The others are reasonable to me though.

It's tough to judge but the opposition we've faced Liverpool were by far the best. Different level to us.

21 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

It's tough to judge but the opposition we've faced Liverpool were by far the best. Different level to us.

They'll be up there don't get me wrong but I'm not sure they have it in them to keep going to the same level as last season. Spurs are my favourites for it at the minute. I think the Mourinho factor coupled with the fact that they are finding form for the first time rather than trying to sustain it (which for me is harder), just puts them ahead for me at the minute. Only time will tell of course.

On 24/11/2020 at 09:12, AjcW said:

As his absolute biggest critic on here (and to anyone else who will listen), he came across a lot better than I was expecting, however I don't feel like he grabbed the opportunity to impress anyone watching. The short sharp answers that didn't go into any detail were incredibly frustrating.

However I think that might have been on purpose, he strikes me as someone who has no interest in getting back into a job this season or maybe even next. 

I think he knows he is probably an absolute shoe in for the England job if Southgate cocks up the Euros, he fits the bill perfectly, well spoken, educated and won't give too much away.

Similarly I think the job at Celtic park would appeal to him, chance to win tonnes of games playing attacking football whilst not having to put in much effort!

I was impressed with the set piece thing though, I wish we put that much time and effort into them! lol 

I don't think your far off it here. Celtic would be a good move for Howe, a less risk adverse job to re-build his reputation and then walk into another EPL job in a few years, similar to what Rodgers done in all honesty. I'd take howe in a minute at Celtic although that would involve sacking the idiot currently in charge which our prehistoric, indecisive board seem incapable of doing. He's odds on favourite at the moment anyway.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Reckon even Hassenhuttl with what he has done at Southampton since after beating them 0-9 would be a better nomination than Bielsa.

Agreed. Don't get me wrong Bielsa is a great coach but what's he done so far at Leeds, took a side out the Championship that really should have been in the premier league anyway. Fair enough if he were to finish top 6 or something this season but it's too early to judge how they'll do in the premier league.

• Like 3

That’s a joke, he didn’t even get a particularly high points total, compared to the teams who have been champions since we went up. In fact since we went up what 7 years ago, had there been a team with a lower points total for winning the league?

Didn’t do anything in the cups either. 
Weird, I can’t see anything he’s done in his career that a hundred average championship managers haven’t done previously.

48 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I don't think your far off it here. Celtic would be a good move for Howe, a less risk adverse job to re-build his reputation and then walk into another EPL job in a few years, similar to what Rodgers done in all honesty. I'd take howe in a minute at Celtic although that would involve sacking the idiot currently in charge which our prehistoric, indecisive board seem incapable of doing. He's odds on favourite at the moment anyway.

This last bit is interesting, if Howe meant absolutely anything he said on MNF then he wouldn't go near a set up like this.

Question for you Muzzy... why do you think you haven't been taken over? If you look at a comparative team in a league that they win with their eyes closed, PSG, the fact that the league wont make them much money isn't seen as an issue for their investors and they've used their money to advance PSG in Europe/The world.

I just wonder, when you look at the likes of Derby County getting UAE money, how on earth hasn't something like that triggered at Celtic over the years? 

Even a bunch like our owners, surely almost guaranteed league success with the chance of building an incredible squad for Europe is enticing? 

I get, as i've said many times, it would be tricky to entice players away from the top european leagues to play in the SPL, but maybe if the money situation was different that could change?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AjcW said:

This last bit is interesting, if Howe meant absolutely anything he said on MNF then he wouldn't go near a set up like this.

Question for you Muzzy... why do you think you haven't been taken over? If you look at a comparative team in a league that they win with their eyes closed, PSG, the fact that the league wont make them much money isn't seen as an issue for their investors and they've used their money to advance PSG in Europe/The world.

I just wonder, when you look at the likes of Derby County getting UAE money, how on earth hasn't something like that triggered at Celtic over the years? 

Even a bunch like our owners, surely almost guaranteed league success with the chance of building an incredible squad for Europe is enticing? 

I get, as i've said many times, it would be tricky to entice players away from the top european leagues to play in the SPL, but maybe if the money situation was different that could change?

Yeah I saw the same, rumour has it lawell is going at the end of the season also though. The high profile managerial appointments we make Desmond seems to handle all those personally anyway.

It's a good question, I think the sole reason is that we operate in a backwater league and a very restrictive market, there isn't much room for us to grow unless we leave Scotland. FFP makes it very hard for us to pay massive wages to entice better players to come to Scotland. Clubs like the Derby's of this world have the carrot of the pathway to the EPL and if they were to make it the value of the club will virtually double overnight.

There have been a couple of tenuous rumours the last few years about Qatari's eyeing us up but not sure there is anything substantial in them. Our largest and second largest shareholders are already bona fide billionaires but hey don't really put any money into the club,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angus Scott said:

Surely this has to be a scam, Bielsa nominated as one of the top 5 managers in the world - for winning England's second tier championship. It's a complete joke, I just don't understand why this bloke is so lauded. 

It must be because he sits on a bucket

i think it is because of the bucket