Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

1 minute ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Successful 100% for me. Much better than I expected. However, I will be wondering what might have been, almost like a little bad aftertaste.

I just think in 5 years I won't care we didn't make the champions league but ill always remeber winning the cup 

• Like 2

Just now, ARTY_FOX said:

Would the FA cup final even the quarter final vs UTD not count as 'championship rounds'?  I think there's a point where are focus shifted and tbh I'm glad it did. 

I get your point but we had Southampton and Newcastle before the final, one win and we would have done both.  And we flapped to be fair of I was a Chelsea fan, I would have been disappointed with losing, they were the better team.  If the focus was the cup we would have shown a performance that would suggest that.

9 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I have a genuine feeling if Villa turn up on Sunday, they could beat Chelsea.

‘I also wonder however if we might not beat Spuds

Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours to see
Que sera, sera

What will be, will be

One more game, fans in the stadium, show the team some love. This season has been a bit of a mad rollercoaster tbh and it's provided us the FA cup. Maybe this amazing club will pull one final magic trick at the end, maybe not, but I'm done with wondering about permutations I'm just going to enjoy the last home game of the season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Paddy. said:

Having thought about it a bit more, I think this was the moment that killed us:

images.jpeg-3.jpg.302fd5d352e390727f5514f4d60a9dda.jpg

Harvey was fast-becoming our main man and his injury totally changed how we set up to play.

We'd have gotten a penalty against Southampton that night I reckon in the 1-1.

Lets not forget United basically threw the game against us and gave us an easy 3 points btw. We're still a work in progress, need to improve slightly next season and have a little more luck with injuries if we want to be top 4.

Just now, bovril said:

I'm not saying I won't be disappointed but the Champions-League-or-Bust mentality in English football now has got to such absurd levels it's ruining the league. As someone posted last night, you might as well start handing out ****ing trophies for the fourth placed club to parade around the city. 

You win nothing for being 2nd, 3rd or 4th... but it seems it means everything which it actually doesn’t... can anyone remember where Spurs were finishing? will that be remembered and shown for years to come? 

4 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Wouldn't it be great to have an exciting positive last game of the season which was decisive? 

The last one I can think of would have been winning a play off final.

We've had a lot of really negative ones in recent memory eg. Deeney day, losing to man utd last season, losing to Stoke to get relegated, that famous chipped penalty etc.

When was the last season defining finale which was enjoyable?

Not sure about season defining, but quite enjoyed putting 5 past QPR on the last game of the Great Escape season.

1 minute ago, Dr The Singh said:

I get your point but we had Southampton and Newcastle before the final, one win and we would have done both.  And we flapped to be fair of I was a Chelsea fan, I would have been disappointed with losing, they were the better team.  If the focus was the cup we would have shown a performance that would suggest that.

It's not unusual for a team to slump abit before a cup final. (Apart from man city but they have 4 superb starting 11's to put out so...) 

I dont think they were really. We restricted them to pretty much nothing until we were already ahead and then just sat deep and tried to ride out a 1-0. Granted we also didn't create much of anything until the goal but it was hardly a one sided affair we did a smash and grab in. Dont think you can begrudge us the win tbh.

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Because mostly the players they could use were still on hundreds of thousands a week. 

They've turned it around with their star players coming into form. Yes they've had their injury issues, but by God so have we. 

Who was the centre back pairing against WBA? Nat Philips and Rhys Williams, 100k a week, I think not.  

So again, injuries has meant novices playing for them and hats off to them, great management and great belief as a squad

Just now, Number 6 said:

Really happy for West Ham. Glad to see the other "super" clubs disrupted.

It's what the Premier League needs. More clubs following our lead.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bovril said:

I'm not saying I won't be disappointed but the Champions-League-or-Bust mentality in English football now has got to such absurd levels it's ruining the league. As someone posted last night, you might as well start handing out ****ing trophies for the fourth placed club to parade around the city. 

Saturday proved to me the difference between winning something and taking part.

I hope we win on Sunday and results go for us, you want to finish as high as possible but I thought it was really refreshing how desperate we were to win a trophy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Depth of squad has been the main issue for me. Just look at the two benches last night

Yes and no. Chelsea had every single one of their 25 man squad available last night. We were without 3 starters. So that made the difference in the respective benches more stark.

But of course even without our injuries their overall squad is stronger. To have a bench like Chelsea's we would need to be able to pay squad players over 150k per week, which is just not happening. To outperform the likes of Chelsea over a 38 games season, we need much better luck with injuries than this season. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 1

Just now, ARTY_FOX said:

It's not unusual for a team to slump abit before a cup final. (Apart from man city but they have 4 superb starting 11's to put out so...) 

I dont think they were really. We restricted them to pretty much nothing until we were already ahead and then just sat deep and tried to ride out a 1-0. Granted we also didn't create much of anything until the goal but it was hardly a one sided affair we did a smash and grab in. Dont think you can begrudge us the win tbh.

Did Chelsea slump? 

Like a said, IF I were a Chelsea fan, it was a smash and grab and I loved it.

1 minute ago, Dr The Singh said:

Did Chelsea slump? 

Yes, in the few games before the final they lost to Arsenal and West Brom and drew with Brighton.

It's only Liverpool on a great run at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Who was the centre back pairing against WBA? Nat Philips and Rhys Williams, 100k a week, I think not.  

So again, injuries has meant novices playing for them and hats off to them, great management and great belief as a squad

With Salah, Mane, Firmino up top. Allison behind the centre halves and Fabinho and Thiago in front. 2 novices yes, but don't ignore the superstars around the pitch. 

3 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Did Chelsea slump? 

Kinda. They qualified for the champions league final and lost to us and arsenal. They beaten city in their dress rehearsal but the lost 2/3 games. They were obviosuly fired up for yesterday but they'll need to stay just as fired up to beat villa. 

It was a pretty even game. Chelsea didn't do enough to win and we did imo. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

With Salah, Mane, Firmino up top. Allison behind the centre halves and Fabinho and Thiago in front. 2 novices yes, but don't ignore the superstars around the pitch. 

Plus Robertson and Trent in Left and Right back. This narrative that the reason they've struggled since Boxing Day (when they were literally top of the league) because of a couple of injuries is BS. If anything it's a bit of an indictment of Klopp's managerial skill and the teams lack of ability to fill in for the loss. They look very soft but have players that can turn a game.

• Like 2

Going to lump on Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs double chance Kane to score anytime, that way if the worst happens I have some spending money. I am the shittest unluckiest better ever so nailed on not to be that scenariolol

Edited by Foxin_Mad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1