Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

It’s quite apparent that we have done exceedingly well under BR, but perversely could have done better. That’s the annoying thing that some here either cannot grasp or are afraid to. We appear to have blown two golden opportunities for CL football. They don’t come around very often, not for us. There on an absolute platter and we just can’t take it. Damn. 

It’s not about deriding our success, which has been good, it’s about missing two guilt edge chances for CL and being frustrated about it. Not helped by numpties saying they’re happy with Europa League - NO YOUR FUCHING NOT. 

Anyway, to continue, Dyche is a cvnt and this isn’t over. We have a chance and we must embrace it and destroy Spurs whilst Chelsea fall to our beloved friends at Aston Villa 🤢

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

The 'Spuds' will obviously want to win, why wouldn't they. It's barmy to think otherwise. All we can do is win and hope.

We all know where and how we've lost ground. It's a great pity we haven't learnt from last season.

Yes I think we do know the matches where we didn’t perform and lost ground. As well as injuries to key players, Barnes & Justin those coming back from injury haven’t been able to perform I.e. Vardy, Maddison, Ricardo. No squad depth. 

Two years running either Man Utd or Liverpool have been a machine when it mattered and we are unable to match them. 

Oh, and thanks to Aquero, Allison and Perez.

4 hours ago, Raj said:

Modern day football fans.

When finishing 4th means more than winning the FA Cup.

I despair

4 hours ago, teblin said:

I was saying the same last night. 

I partly agree but I almost think it's victim blaming a little to blame the fans for that. 

The average Leicester fan isn't responsible for the fact that Champions League qualification radically improves the future prospects of a club whilst an FA Cup win has been increasingly devalued for years. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

It’s quite apparent that we have done exceedingly well under BR, but perversely could have done better. That’s the annoying thing that some here either cannot grasp or are afraid to. We appear to have blown two golden opportunities for CL football. They don’t come around very often, not for us. There on an absolute platter and we just can’t take it. Damn. 

It’s not about deriding our success, which has been good, it’s about missing two guilt edge chances for CL and being frustrated about it. Not helped by numpties saying they’re happy with Europa League - NO YOUR FUCHING NOT. 

Anyway, to continue, Dyche is a cvnt and this isn’t over. We have a chance and we must embrace it and destroy Spurs whilst Chelsea fall to our beloved friends at Aston Villa 🤢

We had a season full of injuries to key players, we have still managed to improve our points haul, yes we threw away some points against teams we shouldnt have, but everyone did. we won the ****ing FA Cup. top 6 and FA cup, thats a great season, lets not forget, we were all asking for exactly this in the years after the title win. Top 4 is hard, it always comes down to the last few games and we are being beaten the punch by better teams. the fact we made it so close is testament to how far we have come, and we have no right to be unhappy. the club continues to make progress, and we get another crack at the europa league, which was a missed opportunity this season. people seem desperate to get into the champions league just got get knocked out of it again.. 

i have supported this team for 30 years, and this is the best we have ever had it. some people would do well to remember that and appreciate it.

• Like 3

On another, more depressing note - it really does show the that wool has been pulled over our eyes, the ESL is already a thing, its just we are part of the English Super League, we are in fact part of the coup, a breakaway that damns those beneath us (deliberately termed) to ever greater struggles to reach their aspirations, aspirations we have been fortunate and canny enough to reach.

2 hours ago, Beliall said:

We had a season full of injuries to key players, we have still managed to improve our points haul, yes we threw away some points against teams we shouldnt have, but everyone did. we won the ****ing FA Cup. top 6 and FA cup, thats a great season, lets not forget, we were all asking for exactly this in the years after the title win. Top 4 is hard, it always comes down to the last few games and we are being beaten the punch by better teams. the fact we made it so close is testament to how far we have come, and we have no right to be unhappy. the club continues to make progress, and we get another crack at the europa league, which was a missed opportunity this season. people seem desperate to get into the champions league just got get knocked out of it again.. 

i have supported this team for 30 years, and this is the best we have ever had it. some people would do well to remember that and appreciate it.

You can both appreciate it and want to continue to progress; those sentiments aren't mutually exclusive.

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I partly agree but I almost think it's victim blaming a little to blame the fans for that. 

The average Leicester fan isn't responsible for the fact that Champions League qualification radically improves the future prospects of a club whilst an FA Cup win has been increasingly devalued for years. 

It's not blaming the fans at all.

If you read some comments on here its plain to see.

Did we radically improve our standing in the Premier League because we were in the Champions  League???

No...we built the infrastructure first and were lucky to have the owners who had a vision for the club.

It's too easy to throw money at trying to get success nowadays...Leeds tried in 10 odd years ago and ended up in League 1!!

3 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Bring back the Cup Winners Cup :scarf:

I'd far rather that than the European Conference League. A good knockout European 1 legged competition. I'm sick of European leagues with countless dead games. Never happen though

• Like 1

Spurs might not want us to finish 4th but I'm sure they wanted to win yesterday to ensure they were favourites for 6th place in front of their own fans and yet they still managed to lose after taking the lead. That's about as bad as it gets, as well as being managed by a kid.

Looking at the table, there's every chance that the Arse are going to end up in this Euro-Conference thingy, isn't there?

They're 9th, 1 point behind Spurs and Everton.

So, if the Arse win at home to Brighton, they finish 7th unless Spurs beat us or Everton win at Man City...

And the only way Spurs can make Europa League now is if they beat us and West Ham lose at home to Southampton....

Makes our situation seem pretty good. :yesyes:

Just now, Alf Bentley said:

Looking at the table, there's every chance that the Arse are going to end up in this Euro-Conference thingy, isn't there?

They're 9th, 1 point behind Spurs and Everton.

So, if the Arse win at home to Brighton, they finish 7th unless Spurs beat us or Everton win at Man City...

And the only way Spurs can make Europa League now is if they beat us and West Ham lose at home to Southampton....

Makes our situation seem pretty good. :yesyes:

Spurs still need to be respected. They've arguably had the best strike partnership in the league this season and both Son and Kane have torn us a new one in seasons gone by. Our squad will not be much fresher so we will definitely have a challenge on our hands.

All I'm certain of is that our boys will give everything they have and I think that will be enough to win a tight contest. 1-0 us.

6 hours ago, David Hankey said:

The 'Spuds' will obviously want to win, why wouldn't they. It's barmy to think otherwise. All we can do is win and hope.

We all know where and how we've lost ground. It's a great pity we haven't learnt from last season.

What was to learn..especially for ones who would have been recovering from Major injuries...

Tell me, I am so thick, I have no idea how & where we're lost ground...

Cheap Lazy shot..fella, but then again ,its only my opinion

Edited by fuchsntf

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Spurs might not want us to finish 4th but I'm sure they wanted to win yesterday to ensure they were favourites for 6th place in front of their own fans and yet they still managed to lose after taking the lead. That's about as bad as it gets, as well as being managed by a kid.

Spurs fans calling him Ryan Mateson lol 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Raj said:

It's not blaming the fans at all.

If you read some comments on here its plain to see.

Did we radically improve our standing in the Premier League because we were in the Champions  League???

No...we built the infrastructure first and were lucky to have the owners who had a vision for the club.

It's too easy to throw money at trying to get success nowadays...Leeds tried in 10 odd years ago and ended up in League 1!!

But... so did we! Crippled with the cost of a new stadium we couldn't afford without the TV money.

5 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

Not helped by numpties saying they’re happy with Europa League - NO YOUR FUCHING NOT. 

Can spin this the same way, numpties making out Europa League is complete failure  - NO IT FUCHING ISNT

My current scale of emotion based on league finishes (and ignoring the fact we've won the FA CUP!!)

Champs League = Delighted

Europa League = Disappointed from where we were but ultimately happy \ satisfied

Missing Europe = Unhappy

Relegation Battle = Very annoyed

Relegated = Devastated, project in tatters

Some people are acting as though missing out on the Champions League is like being relegated. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, andy peake said:

Yes I think we do know the matches where we didn’t perform and lost ground. As well as injuries to key players, Barnes & Justin those coming back from injury haven’t been able to perform I.e. Vardy, Maddison, Ricardo. No squad depth. 

VTwo years running either Man Utd or Liverpool have been a machine when it mattered and we are unable to match them. 

Oh, and thanks to Aquero, Allison and Perez.

Re Allison's goal.  I've pondered this from time to time, but the significance of that goal brings it into focus - is it ethical/within the rules for a goalie to go up for a corner at the other end? The issue is with the shirt colour, which the rules seem to be very strong on these days.

The Liverpool attackers are all in red, the West Brom defence know what to look for when jostling in the box.  This changes when the opposition goalie comes into the fray, wearing a different colour.  In the still photo there's an added factor in that the West Brom shirt has a lot of dark colour and even some black in it.  Could this explain why Allison had a free header, that in the confusion as the ball comes over there is a fatal split second hesitation in the defenders' reactions as they don't immediately latch onto the different colour?

It was so different in the old days when goalies always wore green.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Duncan_K said:

Can spin this the same way, numpties making out Europa League is complete failure  - NO IT FUCHING ISNT

My current scale of emotion based on league finishes (and ignoring the fact we've won the FA CUP!!)

Champs League = Delighted

Europa League = Disappointed from where we were but ultimately happy \ satisfied

Missing Europe = Unhappy

Relegation Battle = Very annoyed

Relegated = Devastated, project in tatters

Some people are acting as though missing out on the Champions League is like being relegated. 

Some, perhaps, but some are also over egging the EL to mask their disappointment at losing out on CL, potentially. It is still possible. If we ultimately fall short again we take what we get and move on, doesn’t mean we have to wear false smiles and make out it’s something that it isn’t.  We bloody should have made CL and it is irritating that we likely won’t. 

• Like 3

Guest Bert Fill
6 hours ago, David Hankey said:

I know, right?

We really should have improved on last season by getting more points and winning the FA Cup.

It’s a disgrace.

1 hour ago, deep blue said:

You can both appreciate it and want to continue to progress; those sentiments aren't mutually exclusive.

we have progressed though. a lot. this post was aimed more at those that are angry and dissapointed we screwed up another top4. i mean, did we really though? if chelsea and liverpool had started like they were expected too, we wouldn't have been top 4 for as long as we were

7 hours ago, Bert Fill said:

I do understand, but doesn’t this make us sound a bit like those Arsenal fans stamping their feet because they only finished fourth?

Ultimately, it probably does. Although it's the 2 fingers up to the football establishment bit by virtue of us not having the revenue the big clubs have that I think gives our campaigns much more meaning than the usual suspects if we do finish in the top 4 or like when we won the league. Yet we get jeered by fans of those clubs, who fail to take those considerations into account.

Just that bit more effort against the likes of Newcastle would have done it and like TrentFox says, it's bitter-sweet to not be able to have done both the Cup and CL qualification in one go especially when it was in our hands during the run-in.

And for those saying we should be "happy with the Cup and shut up otherwise you're shallow...". I just think it's disingenuous and an over-simplification to say that given we crashed out of the CL at the 11th hour.

• Like 1