Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

1 hour ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

He's done well and done so in a very understated way. A week in football is a long time though and a lot would depend on his continued/sustained progression until the top position was available with us. I do like what I see though.

As for our manager, I imagine finishing 5th twice in a row (should we do so), will impress many club owners. The problem for Rodgers is that there will remain questions when it comes to the very biggest clubs. Whilst his Celtic teams romped home with very little/no opposition, his last 3 seasons in England have resulted in substantial leads being overturned by clubs finishing above his. I think those doubts will put off the proper big boys, Spurs aren't in that bracket. 

That's not an opinion I share by the way, I think he's done brilliantly for us (and I really wasn't in favour of us appointing him at the time, I was wrong though).

The league is a serious slog and he's fought against clubs with bigger everything really, squads, spending, trophy history, everything and he's just fallen short once, possibly twice.

However, should results go against us on Sunday, I think those doubts will still put off the really big clubs.

All the above and his less than impressive euro record 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Peculiar when their intention is to bring in a bloke who managed to equal Benfica’s worst ever run of results. 

Surely you’d be going all out for Conciecao 

The word is they are keen on Paulo Fonseca who is being replaced at Roma by Mourinho.

After reading about him I'm all aboard the Fonseca train. Attacking football and good at getting the maximum out of middling teams. Pep was apparently a big fan of his Shaktar side. 

1 minute ago, The Bear said:

The word is they are keen on Paulo Fonseca who is being replaced at Roma by Mourinho.

After reading about him I'm all aboard the Fonseca train. Attacking football and good at getting the maximum out of middling teams. Pep was apparently a big fan of his Shaktar side. 

Decent manager, as is Conciecao who is a character as well. 

I begrudgingly liked you under Nuno but the football always felt like it would be very hard to keep faith in if you got a string of bad luck (injuries/departured) and the tide started turning. I'll be honest, some of the football I've seen you play this season is horrifying. It's not just a new manager needed though is it, 3-4 new players needed too and you'll be back in amongst the top 8 again I'm sure.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Maybe I’m wrong but before this season I never would have considered you a negative side? Did I miss something or have you always been this way? 

maybe counter attacking in the same way people describe us from the title year. I enjoyed watching wolves and the media had the same bonnerz they have for Leeds. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Friend of a friend tried rubbing it in that we were likely missing out on CL (He's a Liverpool fan) and genuinely couldn't seem to understand that I'd be happy with an FA cup win and a Europa spot. 

Had this a lot recently. They’re fvcking weird 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KFS said:

Had this a lot recently. They’re fvcking weird 

I don't think "big 6" fans will every fully understand the emotional rollercoaster of supporting a normal team. Minus Man City, I doubt any recent fans of them have felt relegation, administration etc and I just don't think missing out on a top 4 can compare to that

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I've seen a lot of this online too. It's honestly so sad. I feel so sorry for them. It's like they've sold their soul or something. I said this when we won the league and I still think the same applies - they'll never, ever understand what winning the league or the cup means to us. I pity them.

There was a Rangers fan on the radio the other day describing the joy of their title win, how it was made sweater remembering the years battling back from the bottom tier. I just don't think any big 6 fan can truly know what it meant to us having been watching us drop to league 1 and climb back. A low to them is mid table ffs.

1 minute ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

It's not just opposition fans. The misery which pours out of some of our own baffles me. Do we have more glass-half-empty fans than other clubs?

I'll be disappointed not to make top four (if that happens) but not angry or losing my mind. 

In six seasons, we've finished in the top 10 five times inc winning the league with a third European campaign to come. Plus winning the elusive FA Cup.

We're in insane territory!

I appreciate it's disappointing to see us potentiality miss out on top 4, but at the same time we are experiencing arguably the best period we've had as a club. It's easy to get lost in the Sky frenzy and forget where we've come from and what we're achieving. And I think a fair few fans are getting caught in that. Our 'little' club is the envy of so many around the country and continent. 

We won the FA cup, a week ago ffs and will be in a 2nd year of European football. Stuff we all would've laughed at several years ago. Kids have gone from being laughed at for being a leicester fan, I was for instance, to kids wanting "Vardy" on the back of their City shirt. This is what I dreamt about as a kid playing career mode, and I'm loving every minute. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Maybe I’m wrong but before this season I never would have considered you a negative side? Did I miss something or have you always been this way? 

maybe counter attacking in the same way people describe us from the title year. I enjoyed watching wolves and the media had the same bonnerz they have for Leeds. 

Nuno has always played a low block with very little mid-high pressing. Then try and break with pace. Selling Jota definitely made that a little harder to do as he was a very direct player who cut inside with the ball, unlike Traore who goes down the outside more often than not. 

Also we fell into a kind of horseshoe way of playing. The two central midfielders weren't very advanced which meant it got played out to the wide players who then either try and make something happen and lose it, or play it safe backwards and into the centre.

Very little came through the middle and that was compounded by having no real focal point who could get hold of it and let players get up around him. Jimenez was great at it. Jose was just not good enough and Silva is still too slight physically to do it. 

Ranieri to spurs? Random? 

Anyone think gerard would go for the spurs gig? I think if they kept kane it could be a good situ for him.

Definite step up. No chance he gets  liverpool gig for awhile...or does he just stay in scotland and bide his time?

1 hour ago, Jattdogg said:

Ranieri to spurs? Random? 

Anyone think gerard would go for the spurs gig? I think if they kept kane it could be a good situ for him.

Definite step up. No chance he gets  liverpool gig for awhile...or does he just stay in scotland and bide his time?

No way on God's green earth will Claudio return to England again. I'm happy for him and Adrien at sambdoria

My youngest told me that Defoe is the 88th player to leave Spurs and win a ‘major trophy’ since a Spurs player last won a ‘major trophy’. 

and that trippier could well increase that to 89 today ......

Spurs are the ultimate feeder club for the winning teams ! 

anyone able to clarify that (it could be that it’s not players but major trophy’s won by players who have left)

Edited by st albans fox
  • Haha 1

I wondered how long it would before Klopp started bemoaning about not retaining the title. He bleats on "Man City would not have won the title if they had our injuries".

Sounds very much like sour grapes. We've all had injuries to key players. Just think where Leicester City would be.!!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

My youngest told me that Defoe is the 88th player to leave Spurs and win a ‘major trophy’ since a Spurs player last won a ‘major trophy’. 

and that trippier could well increase that to 89 today ......

Spurs are the ultimate feeder club for the winning teams ! 

anyone able to clarify that (it could be that it’s not players but major trophy’s won by players who have left)

It's a lot, but not quite as much as 88!

From reddit 

Obviously a lot of those are minor. But some definitely stand out more than others... 

Edited by StanSP
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Rangers themselves are a weird case because before having to fight their way back up through the leagues they’d been consistently winning the league every other season anyway, even going on a 9 in a row run. I mean they might be thrilled at winning again after so long but how ****ing boring must it have been to win every year? 

Even when Rodgers came here I remember Celtic fans on social media being worried about not winning 10 in a row. Neither sets of fans could ever understand what it would mean for my grandad’s club Dundee United if they won it. 

I was at the Community Shield at Wembley in 2016. As soon as the final whistle blew the Leicester fans started to pile out. My train wasn’t till later so I stayed sitting for a bit. By the time the Shield presentation had come about half the Man Utd fans had already ****ing gone. They’d already seen it all before. How boring.

One of the reasons I wanted the Super League clubs kicked out was not to give us a free pass at the title, as I’d hate to be just gifted it that way, it was more to teach the clubs and fans a bit of ****ing humility. “Welcome to League Two lads, some of these teams used to be more successful than you. Now earn your success like Rangers have had to”

Man City did drop down to the 3rd Div in 1998 and have had 25 seasons in Div 2.

Chelsea like many teams bounced around Div 1 & 2, winning the league in the mid 50's, the odd cup until the Russian money came in and ruined English football.

Edited by Dorkingfox

8 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

I don't think "big 6" fans will every fully understand the emotional rollercoaster of supporting a normal team. Minus Man City, I doubt any recent fans of them have felt relegation, administration etc and I just don't think missing out on a top 4 can compare to that

I would include Man City in that list.  I know several Man City fans (work with them)  they do now genuinely forget there previous past the days when they were in league 1 and Paul Dickov saved their season.

All I ever hear now is they are the best team in the world, nobody can compete etc, etc believe me I was thrilled to bits when we beat them earlier in the season 5 2 

tis a pity they are playing Chelsea in the European final cos whoever they play I now always want the other team to beat them.  

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Tuchel is right up there in the league of Klopp for talking utter self sympathy seeking shite. 

Reckons Chelsea have a disadvantage having to play away last day with fans. 

YOU HAD FANS ON TUESDAY YOU MUPPET 

He acknowledged that fact in the presser ..... But he’s right that us and liverpool have an advantage tomorrow ....

We'll never know what effect the Lockdown/pandemic had on the league this season. A lot of clubs had better away than home records. The matches were spread about at different times and days. Rival teams didn't play their games at the same time, creating different pressures. It's affected everyone, not just us. Would we have been higher or lower in a normal season :dunno:

• Like 1