Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

9 hours ago, trabuch said:

We won the title doing that. Funnily enough I seem to recall Spurs fans were highly critical of our style of play at the time. Hopefully they will be worked out quicker than we were.

They still can't totally shake the style over subtance mentality. Still see plenty of digs from their fans about it. It does add up.

Oh and as for VAR - players, managers and the top journalists need to start making significant statements about how detrimental to the sport it is as they won't listen to the fans, and the former two need to do it when they're beneficiaries of decisions, rather than on the end of it. They will keep making changes to it that just make things even worse, and eventually, hopefully, the penny will drop.

It can't go on. It's beyond a joke.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 1

Yes - Southampton players and managers pretty much just shrugged their shoulders and said “oh well the VAR gave it so must have been right “

And they just accept the decision of the on field ref is final rather than chasing him around the pitch or pundits spending hours debating a 50/50 call.

Basically seems they were looking for facts only and the VAR guy is saying the on pitch ref was wrong to only give a penalty.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55126120

Edited by Super_horns

8 hours ago, Tuna said:

Why were there only 4 minutes at the end added on? The VAR decision making was at least 3 minutes.

Because time added on is totally arbitrary! Every week, every game. One of my biggest frustrations of the game.

7 hours ago, trabuch said:

Brighton were very unlucky tonight. I fear that luck may change v us.

Brighton are seemingly always unlucky. Get brown nosed to high heaven for playing good football and yet their ability to actually get results is atrocious.

• Like 1

Having watch that game last night, another example where the audience believes the narrative pushed by the TV producers - Sheffield United on Sunday were ‘unfortunate to get a point’ and we were jammy. Last night Brighton didn’t lay a glove on Southampton - goal came from a penalty where JWP bizarrely handballed it, created absolutely nothing at 1-1 

7 hours ago, waylander said:

Brighton are a very frustrating team to watch . Tipy tap all game hardly have and shots. So boring. We should beat theses . Score two the struggle to one.

they looked pretty good in the first half last night, opened southampton up a few times. should've been 2 or 3 up imo. they were rubbish second half tho

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Oh and as for VAR - players, managers and the top journalists need to start making significant statements about how detrimental to the sport it is as they won't listen to the fans, and the former two need to do it when they're beneficiaries of decisions, rather than on the end of it. They will keep making changes to it that just make things even worse, and eventually, hopefully, the penny will drop.

It can't go on. It's beyond a joke.

Isn't VAR an almost natural conclusion of an issue where clubs aim to get every marginal gain possible by fair means or foul? All that "there's contact, he's a right to go down" for one team is "not enough contact for a foul" on the other side.

As you say, until there's a shift in mentality whereby managers and players are prepared to accept a negative from a positive situation, we're stuck with the overanalysing of every tight call.

Problem is, the managers and players wanted it. But only when they wanted the decision for them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Having watch that game last night, another example where the audience believes the narrative pushed by the TV producers - Sheffield United on Sunday were ‘unfortunate to get a point’ and we were jammy. Last night Brighton didn’t lay a glove on Southampton - goal came from a penalty where JWP bizarrely handballed it, created absolutely nothing at 1-1 

Yeah to be honest say what you like about us, we weren't great by any means, but Sheffield United were rubbish and they didn't deserve anything.

21 minutes ago, Corky said:

Isn't VAR an almost natural conclusion of an issue where clubs aim to get every marginal gain possible by fair means or foul? All that "there's contact, he's a right to go down" for one team is "not enough contact for a foul" on the other side.

As you say, until there's a shift in mentality whereby managers and players are prepared to accept a negative from a positive situation, we're stuck with the overanalysing of every tight call.

Problem is, the managers and players wanted it. But only when they wanted the decision for them.

Yeah, VAR for all its flaws has exposed a lot wrong in the game - Declan Rice a perfect example recently, loves it when it goes for him, hates it when against him, practically admitted as such and that is essentially acceptance of VAR. People within the game need to stop accepting it full stop. It's beyond a joke how bad it actually is. I didn't have high hopes for VAR but it's somehow fallen significantly short of even that.

I will forever moan about a decision but so what, it's football, it's an emotional game and VAR threatens that very concept above all.

I've pointed out a few times on here recently, Braga's 2nd goal against us looked offside. Having seen 'the other' I felt far more glad that the goal stood than some 3 minute delay to which they eventually rule out the goal. I wouldn't want VAR if it got 100% of decisions right - and it is totally unrealistic to expect it ever will.

8 hours ago, waylander said:

Brighton are a very frustrating team to watch . Tipy tap all game hardly have and shots. So boring. We should beat theses . Score two the struggle to one.

They'll struggle this year and I'd say relegated apart from the fact WBA, Fulham and Sheffield United are so bad.

Prior to the season starting I thought Sheffield United would struggle, but not be this bad so early, and that's helped other relegation favourites.

9 hours ago, waylander said:

Brighton have finished 15th, 17th & 15th in the 3 seasons they've been up in the PL. They will probably finish around there again. Other than aesthetically, they haven't improved much since Hughton left. 

Just now, Koke said:

Brighton have finished 15th, 17th & 15th in the 3 seasons they've been up in the PL. They will probably finish around there again. Other than aesthetically, they haven't improved much since Hughton left. 

Yeah, joke club. Get way more praise than they ought to, like Bournemouth did. Think its because they are seen as this trendy little coastal club that have barely spent any dough. In reality they've spent a lot and their nice football flatters to deceive. I hope we batter them.

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah, joke club. Get way more praise than they ought to, like Bournemouth did. Think its because they are seen as this trendy little coastal club that have barely spent any dough. In reality they've spent a lot and their nice football flatters to deceive. I hope we batter them.

I liked their stadium ...... even though I got soaked ! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

Yeah, VAR for all its flaws has exposed a lot wrong in the game - Declan Rice a perfect example recently, loves it when it goes for him, hates it when against him, practically admitted as such and that is essentially acceptance of VAR. People within the game need to stop accepting it full stop. It's beyond a joke how bad it actually is. I didn't have high hopes for VAR but it's somehow fallen significantly short of even that.

I will forever moan about a decision but so what, it's football, it's an emotional game and VAR threatens that very concept above all.

I've pointed out a few times on here recently, Braga's 2nd goal against us looked offside. Having seen 'the other' I felt far more glad that the goal stood than some 3 minute delay to which they eventually rule out the goal. I wouldn't want VAR if it got 100% of decisions right - and it is totally unrealistic to expect it ever will.

I would be for var with some changes.

1. Offside guaged by heels

2. Offside must be >15cm

3. Handball must be consistent all over the pitch . .. if it would not cause a pen then it can not prevent a goal.

I would like var to look at holding of the Cf with back to goal... and  defenders holding in the box on corners... as these destroy entertainment.

Just now, pmcla26 said:

This just means that you move the margin for offside, which they will scrutinise equally as much as they do with the current margins they work with. 

The heels prevents the arm stuff. The 15cm puts the onus on the player to be def offside 

7 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I see where you’re coming from in saying that but what if the heels are within 15cm of each other? Surely they’ll just start looking at that instead? 

Yep and if my heels were 14 or 16 cm beyond the defenders then I would accept offside being given