Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TheUltimateWinner

Next season

13 hours ago, Sly said:

What worries me is how close the seasons are. I can see the form rolling over and us being bottom half if we’re not careful. 

You could be right, I’m hoping a couple of additional players and everyone being back will mean a top 7 finish at least. I know it’s an excuse but injured players have cost us. Not just in the last few week either.

wilf being out from jan to end of feb then not being sharp. Also mendy got injured against West Ham, when he would have allowed wilf a bit more time, meant we had to play slightly differently.

then Ricardo being out was massive, one of the best players in the division for me, Utd got all their player back after lock down we lost 4 or 5 of ours. If Utd had the same issues they wouldn’t have caught us.

that said we were poor still and should’ve had enough to beat the likes of Norwich, Brighton and Bournemouth.

7 hours ago, foxfan92 said:

Anyone whose supported Leicester for a long time knows to expect Leicester to break your heart, crush your dreams, disappoint, underdeliver and play with your emotions. 

You just learn to shake it off and look for the next silver lining.

How did you feel when we were relegated to the third tier for the first time in our history?

Eight years after that we were winning the Premier League though. Good job you weren't too apathetic then or you'd have missed that minor miracle. 

It's like those calling for Rodgers' head and asking for Pearson back, forgetting the second half of the 12/13 season when, like the second half of this season, we couldn't buy a win. 2 wins in 19 games!

Yet the following season we won the championship with a record number of points.

Why? Because we're evolving as a club, and yoy have to learn to live with the bad times as well as the good.

We're far from the only team to have thrown away points and let others catch up.

Liverpool last season, what were they, 10 points up over Man City yet they threw it all away?

Now look what they have become.

Look at Spurs, we all know how they can bottle it.

Feel sorry for the poor Leeds fans used to all that glory then 16 years in the Championship. 

My point is, there is a project going on. Its long term, but we're improving as a team all the time. There will be dips. There will be mistakes. There will be frustrating times ahead.

But if we continue to make steps forward,  even if its 3 steps forward then 2 steps back, we will be where we all want to be in time.

Have the faith. Show support. Take the rough with the smooth.

I’ve mentioned that a few weeks ago, it felt like that season over the last few months.

need to add a bit of grit and experience and then a little bit of magic, someone who when they pick the ball up on the half way line you get off your seat. 

I for one am very optimistic for next season. We’ve suffered from the worst bout of injuries in the league, take Van Dijk, Robertson, TAA and Firmino out of Liverpool and see if they can hit the same heights? It’s impossible.

10 years ago (heck 5 the years ago) if someone would have offered me 5th place in the premier league and European football id have ripped their arms off to claim it. We have a great manager and a great team. A few class additions; a new centre half and attacking player (I’m thinking Sarr from Watford) and we’ll be challenging again)

Up the Foxes!!

I am worried, as mentioned my fear is the fact the seasons are so close. We are still injury hit and could well still not have key players ready to go. I also think we were planning for a CL window, hence why we didn't spend in January, but now that will have gone to rats. Targets like Demiral will be off now the CL has gone, even if it was on in the first place. I know we should be excited for the future, but given the state of the world, football and the demise of our league form and the current lack of enthusiasm swirling around the place at the moment, I can see us having a torrid season next season. 

Watford finished above us two seasons ago and reached a Cup Final but got relegated this season. For whatever reasons, we are in a bit of a mess on the playing side. It's imperative that we have a decent transfer window and hit the ground running in September. Warning signs are there otherwise in my opinion. 

13 hours ago, Sly said:

What worries me is how close the seasons are. I can see the form rolling over and us being bottom half if we’re not careful. 

Form rarely changes from the last 10 games of previous season to first 10 of following season, even in normal years with full pre season to prepare. 

Our form going into our championship winning year was under Pearson for last 10 games top 4 material. We strengthened and continued that form. 

It's difficult to comprehend how anyone can think that if we strengthened, or even got the full complement of injured players back, Ricardo being the key player, we would return to top 4 form again anytime soon.

Last season was not quite the perfect storm that 2015/16 was for us in terms of sub standard opposition, as Liverpool and Man City were both exceptional. But Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Man U were all in transition last season. They're all a year on and all will be stronger next season. Wolves (if they keep their players) and Everton will be stronger too.

So to achieve top 6 next season will be a monumental achievement for us, and imo a better achievement than us getting 5th this season. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mythyaar said:

Our form going into our championship winning year was under Pearson for last 10 games top 4 material. We strengthened and continued that form. 

Year before that however - 2 wins in the last 13 league games. Turned it around to win the league by 100 points. 

There’s no clear pattern 

13 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

Ryan Bennett the only newcomer since January.

Really whets the appetite for what Congerton has in store for next season.

An even more bizarre signing if you consider we've paid him for 6/7 months when in effect he could only play in 4 matches, crazy business.

26 minutes ago, Staffs Fox said:

We’ve suffered from the worst bout of injuries in the league, take Van Dijk, Robertson, TAA and Firmino out of Liverpool and see if they can hit the same heights? It’s impossible.

This is only applicable to the last 4 games though one of which we won and another of which we would have won if the manager and players had performed to a level of mediocre or above. Having Ricardo out for the whole restart was unfortunate but it's not the reason we couldn't hold a lead for 5 minutes at Watford, played for a 0 0 at home to Brighton or rolled over in the 1st half at Everton.

Guest Danny Clender

Schmeichel

Ricardo Evans Soyuncu Chilwell

Tiielemans Ndidi Maddison

Perez Vardy Barnes 

Considering that was the team that had great success in the 1st half of the campaign.

Trying to look subjectively at it now to look how it could be improved or re-shaped.

Schmeichel - I feel he's still a great option, I think a new prospect would be good to see though.

Ricardo - doesn't need a comment and Justin continues to improve. safe position.

Evans - He's been tremendous. This is a position to strengthen. 

Soyuncu - excellent season, looks like he'll only getting better. As above, position needs strengthening, Benkovic potential. 

Chilwell - If he's staying, we need to see consistency and work out his best position. Thomas will be pushing him.

Tielemans - Excellent potential, but considering he's hardly been mentioned as anyone's POTS, that's telling. This position needs to be consistently scoring 8's and 9's for us to improve. Choudhury is versatile, but hasn't shown the promise I thought he'd deliver from the chances he's had.

Ndidi - If he continues to improve upon his possession and distribution, then this position is safe. he's the lynchpin for me.

Maddison - same opinion as Tielemans. He needs to reach the potential that non Leicester fans rate him at. This is a position that should be strengthened with experience and an ability to give options in changing a game, he has shown he can do it, but no way near enough. 

Perez - Round in circles with this player, all opinions of Perez fit. This position will be strengthened with stronger attributes i.e fearlessness, pace and ability to get past players. I'd like Perez to become great for us, but in a position he wants to play.

Vardy - Read the OP on the "an unpopular opinion" thread by @GingerrrFox - Have to have another option for this position and as discussed in that thread, it has the potential to change the whole set up of how we play. I think Rodgers will want a player in this position that offers more. I find this position the biggest conundrum. 

Barnes - once he finds consistency in scoring, this is his position until if he's sold. A more experienced player could be considered for this position, especially in European games, but happy to see Barnes learn on the job. 

Iheanacho - a curious one, would he step into Vardy's position? He seems to be able to do most things on the pitch, but Rodgers' handling of him recently, just feels off.

I suspect that's how Rodger's wants to play and I feel, he's a little underwhelmed from many of the players from the performances he's seen, as most of us have. 

I can't see us bringing in too many players that will be specific to Rodgers vision, by that I mean we'll sign for the club and future and not the entirely for the manager. 

I think we do have to look at the modern game and style and improve from there, I feel going back to the 2015-16 philosophy would leave us with less options and less chance of a "Plan B", but according to most Leicester and other football fans, he doesn't have a "plan B" full stop.

There's so much optimism, but Rodger's has lost a little reputation and fans are asking the right questions about him, I just hope he has the answers. 

It can't be ignored that missing out on CL is gutting, considering the cushion we had, and form has been dreadful since December. However, 5th is a great finish, and we still have everyone here who was involved in the great first half of the season.

They sound like excuses, but they're still valid - the injury crisis and the young squad.

I expect we probably will struggle for form at the beginning of next season, but if we can make a good signing or two, and with injuries clearing up, there's every chance we'll be improving as we go on. The younger players all have another season's experience under their belts, and I'm not worried about losing any key players. The ones most likely to go won't be - Maddison's just signed a new deal, and Ricardo and Chilwell are injured.

• Like 1

Not getting top 4 is annoying this season especially considering the state of the top 6. Next year i would be happy with 6-9th position tbh, if rodgers and congerton actually sign a decent rw i think that will give our team the boost we need for a top half of the table finish/top 6 challenge.

Edited by honeybradger

On 26/07/2020 at 18:06, Sly said:

No doubt I’ll get abused for that, however the form table doesn’t lie. We’ve been poor for a while. 

No abuse from me Sly but I really don`t think we`ve been "poor" we do need another goal scorer though.

Some folks need to step away and have a bit of a think.

I can say unequivocally Leicester City are in a better position than I've known it in my 47/48 years supporting the club.

First up we have one of the best owners in the League. And that in itself is a massive thing because the good uns are pretty rare.

Second up, is the new training facilities. Easy to dismiss this. But it's going to give everyone a lift and be a major attraction to the sort of players we are going to need to maintain top 4/6, European aspirations.

Third up, we can actually have a go at the Europa Cup and some of the younger players can gain some valuable experience.

The team can improve next season, I've no doubt about that. I think after a short break they will be refreshed.

My only unknown and therefore concern is on the recruitment front. I don't think we need 6 or 7 new players but certainly 4 or 5. And yes we need to figure out a few things on the training ground. Can Rodgers push on from here. Personally, I'm really looking forward to finding out.

One things for sure there is a lot of average in the Prem League in comparison. As much as I respect them the likes of Burnley, Southampton, Villa, Everton aren't going to suddenly be a revelation.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, foxfan92 said:

Anyone whose supported Leicester for a long time knows to expect Leicester to break your heart, crush your dreams, disappoint, underdeliver and play with your emotions. 

How did you feel when we were relegated to the third tier for the first time in our history?

Eight years after that we were winning the Premier League though. Good job you weren't too apathetic then or you'd have missed that minor miracle. 

It's like those calling for Rodgers' head and asking for Pearson back, forgetting the second half of the 12/13 season when, like the second half of this season, we couldn't buy a win. 2 wins in 19 games!

Yet the following season we won the championship with a record number of points.

Why? Because we're evolving as a club, and yoy have to learn to live with the bad times as well as the good.

We're far from the only team to have thrown away points and let others catch up.

Liverpool last season, what were they, 10 points up over Man City yet they threw it all away?

Feel sorry for the poor Leeds fans used to all that glory then 16 years in the Championship. 

My point is, there is a project going on. Its long term, but we're improving as a team all the time. There will be dips. There will be mistakes. There will be frustrating times ahead.

But if we continue to make steps forward,  even if its 3 steps forward then 2 steps back, we will be where we all want to be in time.

Best EOS post...:yahoo: 

Best chance of POS..!!

21 hours ago, foxfan92 said:

Very well said.