Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gevans_97

Awful Football Opinions

As Leicester fans I feel like we consistently hear pundits/other football fans talking about us without any knowledge of the team or how we actually play. Half the time it annoys me, but the other half it becomes genuinely comical as to how little people know about football. 

What are the football opinions you hear from other fans or pundits that immediately make you think - "this person has no idea what they're talking about." Can be either Leicester based and beyond. 

Some personal favourites are the insistence by pundits that we STILL play counter attacking football, people suggesting Vardy is only good for "running in behind" and anyone that thinks we're bigger than Celtic Reserves. 

Special shoutout to Garth Crookes for once putting Paul Konchesky in his team of the week after a goal against Villa in the 14/15 season, stating "this boy played for England, and at the minute, I can see why." 

Garth Crooks talks crap about everything and everyone. And I get just as tired of our own fans proving their ignorance of other teams too.

I'll give you an age-old retro gripe I have. In 1994, when we finally won a play-off final, the Grauniad/Observer had a pre-season review of every team for the coming season. They proved their utter ignorance of our club by claiming that Paul Kerr was in our squad. I wrote to them to point this out, and to their credit, they printed it.

• Like 1

Because most of them only know or are concerned about the 'elite' 6 (7 this season with Leeds added) probably because they provide the largest viewing/listening figures. For the rest of the League they at best get their info from watching Match of the Day.

Definition of the idiom 'Take it with a grain/ pinch of salt ...

8 minutes ago, davieG said:

Because most of them only know or are concerned about the 'elite' 6 (7 this season with Leeds added) probably because they provide the largest viewing/listening figures. For the rest of the League they at best get their info from watching Match of the Day.

Definition of the idiom 'Take it with a grain/ pinch of salt ...

It's a bit if a myth though really. Yes for individual games they may attract a larger audience/crowd, but overall the other 66 clubs that are just there to make up the numbers have a far bigger audience share.

Putting these 6 teams on a constant spunkfest loop, even to the point of forcing through transfers is completely infuriating. I think many normal fans are getting so pissed off with the bias, Sky will eventually lose subscribers because of this.

Weird you should mention awful opinions - just this morning I remembered something I read on here years ago. I think it must have been just before we signed him when someone on here said they'd always seen Kevin Phillips as the big target-man type of striker. He's under 5'6"! I don't think they make footballers much smaller, do they? I can't work out how anyone can get that impression in the first place, but this was at the end of his playing career, so in no point over all those years did they ever question it. He played alongside giants like Niall Quinn and Peter Crouch who towered over him. Baffling.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

It's a bit if a myth though really. Yes for individual games they may attract a larger audience/crowd, but overall the other 66 clubs that are just there to make up the numbers have a far bigger audience share.

Putting these 6 teams on a constant spunkfest loop, even to the point of forcing through transfers is completely infuriating. I think many normal fans are getting so pissed off with the bias, Sky will eventually lose subscribers because of this.

They've lost me. I cancelled my contract, couldn't stand it anymore. Must admit that I bought a couple of day pass codes for NowTV, but needs must in the circumstances. I'll watch our games down the pub when allowed but avoid the punditry. 

I get fed up of teams like Spurs and Arsenal being bummed by commentators, every time we play them, the commentators just talk about them the whole way through. 

Harry Kane is spoken about as if he is god and don't get me started on the way they over rate the spurs midfield! 

Then they go on about Arsenal, they've not even been in the top 6 consistently in the last decade! Our last 5 years have been more successful than Arsenal's!

• Like 2

Probably not an awful opinion but one that winds me up is the fact commentators and pundits always seem to refer as Wembley having a big pitch. 

Really? For a start ours is a bigger plauing surface and I belive Man City or United is the biggest in the League.

• Haha 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
3 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Probably not an awful opinion but one that winds me up is the fact commentators and pundits always seem to refer as Wembley having a big pitch. 

Really? For a start ours is a bigger plauing surface and I belive Man City or United is the biggest in the League.

All premier league pitches are exactly the same size 😂😂😂

I think it was this season, a Sunday. We were playing Burnley in the first game and Liverpool and Manchester United were playing the second. There was hardly any talk about our game and even at half time it was all the other game. It didn't seem to occur to Sky that those of us watching our game might be more interested in that than Man U. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

All premier league pitches are exactly the same size 😂😂😂

Not quite true. They are all the same size unless the stadium doesn’t allow it to be. Some are smaller but the vast majority are the same. Interestingly the KP is on the list of stadiums that can’t have a full size pitch ( or it certainly was a few years ago)

Edit -  here's the list all should be 7140 sq/m but some are smaller due to stadium constraints and some are bigger when used for other sports as well (Hull) 

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/781009/Premier-League-club-pitch-size-sportgalleries

Yes I'm aware it's a few years old and the express (unacceptable) but you get the point.

Edited by peach0000

7 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I think it was this season, a Sunday. We were playing Burnley in the first game and Liverpool and Manchester United were playing the second. There was hardly any talk about our game and even at half time it was all the other game. It didn't seem to occur to Sky that those of us watching our game might be more interested in that than Man U. 

The Arsenal game after the restart - they didn’t even show our disallowed goal at half time! Just all about Arsenal chances...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Webbo said:

And we wonder why United were given so many penalties and VAR decisions, and we were the exact opposite.

To the bigwigs in football like Sky and the PL, it was always going to be more beneficial, especially with the current economic situation, to have the bigger clubs finish better off in the league.

Keeping fans of the bigger clubs happy is all they are interested in as they know that's where the money is. I can't even imagine how much fans of clubs in the EFL must despise the PL right now.

21 minutes ago, Webbo said:

It's always been a weird format on Super Sunday. Traditionally get a 2pm and 4.30pm game, programme starts at 1 and they talk about the 4.30 game for a good 45mins, then give the early game a brief chat sandwiched in between 3 ad breaks. As soon as the game is over it's all about the 4.30 game, then after that they discuss it then do a 10min recap of the early game.

HOWEVER that is all reversed if say Man Utd/Liverpool is the early game :rolleyes:

I think In general the standard of the tv coverage of games is getting worse and worse. Sky and BT being particularly bad.

Poor commentators and pundits who offer little insight into what’s happening and often don’t have much knowledge on the teams that they are covering. Some of the pundits struggle to string a sentence together.

I don’t remember it being as bad as it is now, say 15 years ago ?

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
11 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Not true. 

KP is 114.8 yards by 74.4 yards 

Etihad 116 yards by 77 yards

Ah fair enough - I was told by someone who worked for the pl they were