Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gevans_97

Awful Football Opinions

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Here's mine - brace yourself. 

Ranieri wasn't a great manager in 15/16. He did an okay job - the formation change and dealing with the press were his main strengths. 

Ranieri has never been a great manager. He's been a good solid manager throughout his career despite him being at some pretty big clubs, which imo he shouldn't have been at. His record shows he's a mid tier level manager. 

1 hour ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Tbh the latter isn't so much a thing anymore and when you look at the background in terms of history, rightly or wrongly it's quite apparent why there was that religous divide in terms of catholics supporting Celtic and protestants supporting Rangers. For example Celtic were founded by an Irish priest as a mechanism to feed poor Irish immigrants in the east end of Glasgow whereas Rangers had the outright heinous and sectarian signing policy of only signing protestants until as late as 1989 so this was always going to make protestants gravitate towards supporting them.  Obviously there's sectarian elements to it on both sides but when you look at the history it's quite apparent why religon used to anyway dictate who you supported. Before the mid 90's for example I doubt as a catholic you would have felt at all safe going to Ibrox to support Rangers, when Mo Johnston signed in 1989 there were people burning season tickets etc outside ibrox because of it for example. 

Not sure if your aware of the legendary quote of our greatest ever manager Jock Stein who himself was a protestant, he always said if Celtic had the chance of signing two equally good players and one was a catholic and one was a protestant he'd always sign the protestant as he knew Rangers would never sign the catholic and if he really wanted to he could go back and sign the catholic later.

How would they identify a Catholic? It's not like they wear a badge or have distinguishing features (I don't think). 

I get the Irish roots thing but is waving the tricolour more of a wind up of the Rangers support? All a bit weird to the outsider. 

I've got a few of these.

The idea that the club you support has any impact on a football opinion. 

If I was to say I thought Pogba was overrated, someone who supports Man Utd might say "that's rich coming from a Leicester fan" as if you're blind to any team considered better than the one you support. Similarly, when someone feels they have to state "I'm an Arsenal fan but..." when praising another club like they're offering a service by praising a team other than their own. 

• Like 4

Just now, Sharmania said:

I've got a few of these.

The idea that the club you support has any impact on a football opinion. 

If I was to say I thought Pogba was overrated, someone who supports Man Utd might say "that's rich coming from a Leicester fan" as if you're blind to any team considered better than the one you support. Similarly, when someone feels they have to state "I'm an Arsenal fan but..." when praising another club like they're offering a service by praising a team other than their own. 

I forgot to put that you'll get people say they hate the idea of a big six, then in the next breath what teams like Leicester to "get back in their place".

13 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Yeah, Lineker is so out of touch with the match going LCFC fan that it’s painful at times seeing as he seems to want to be a voice of ‘the Leicester fan’ so much...

10 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Lineker's a proper sell out about us, I agree about the whole Ranieri debacle. I'd say fair enough if he thought "I personally think he can turn this around, needs more time" etc... (though I wouldn't have agreed) but he was right in the midst of the mainstream "who do they think they are" and he's apparently a Leicester fan!

Tell you one I've thought lately about Bournemouth is that people go too far the other way. Yes they were very mediocre in the Premier League but I can't believe how many people pretend Howe did a bad job there. Going from League Two to the Premier League in six seasons IS a very good story, far as I'm concerned.

The thing about Lineker. Yes of course he's out of touch with match going fans, he's bound to be, but I love the fact he's from Leicester, supports Leicester, played for Leicester and everybody associates him with that. Some of his comments and "jokes" on twitter make me cringe but other than that I love turning MOTD on and he's presenting it.

Agree about Bournemouth though. People talk as if they're the only side that's ever spent money. Howe kept them up in League Two with nothing, then won the league, before all of the money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bmt said:

Not sure if you've read it (and I haven't in years) but there's something in soccernomics about blonde players being overrated because they're easily noticed. Recent example would be will Hughes a few years ago

And De Bruyne. Dye his hair brown and you'd see he's a passenger most of the time.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, DanNDH88 said:

Players described as ‘bang average’ all the time on here, isn’t ‘average’ about championship level? Lol

If you're being that strict on the definition, then no. I'd say average is probably more like non-league.

When people call a player average, I think they mean in terms of the team or the division.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DanNDH88 said:

Players described as ‘bang average’ all the time on here, isn’t ‘average’ about championship level? Lol

Average would be in relation to current talent at the club, I'd imagine. Statistically speaking, a lower non-league player is probably the 'average' level of a footballer in the UK.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Yes deffo..Then they would get The Financial Budget to compete in Top 4-6....comfortably!!

Their International following & Clout is massive..I

A few amateures on here,dont know their stuff...

Another foxestalk thread that incorrectly unknowledgably criticises... "The others".  & Not just Celtic/other clubs/other pundits....

Though my(this) post is doing just the  same....but I am putting down on the people,who Enjoy taking the piss & criticising "The others" every fking time..!!

Discussion & debate,is Not about the best critic,but the true honest observer covering the whole spectrum....before pulling the cynical-shotgun...

Is it though?

Not in the top 30 globally in terms of social media following (we're 27th) which includes clubs from Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Brazil, Argentina, Indonesia & Mexico:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/827759/largest-soccer-clubs-worldwide-digital-community-size/

They even appear to be dwarfed by the likes of Crystal Palace on platforms like Twitter and Instagram.

I've spent plenty of time living and working abroad and I personally think Celtic's "international clout" is a bit of a myth.  Think most Europeans put them in the same bracket as clubs like Red Star Belgrade or Spartak Moscow.  Big fanbase yes, but not in the same galaxy as Europes genuine elite.

2 hours ago, bmt said:

Not sure if you've read it (and I haven't in years) but there's something in soccernomics about blonde players being overrated because they're easily noticed. Recent example would be will Hughes a few years ago

It is a right can of worms when you think about it, thanks for the reference. I vaguely remember an international tournament where one team (perhaps Romania?) all dyed their hair blond, which meant they were difficult to tell apart.

I wonder whether the effect works both ways, sometimes standing out can help (if an individual player is being kicked all over the park), and sometimes blending in is good (if you are the team doing the kicking).

• Like 1

Just now, Vardinio'sCat said:

It is a right can of worms when you think about it, thanks for the reference. I vaguely remember an international tournament where one team (perhaps Romania?) all dyed their hair blond, which meant they were difficult to tell apart.

I wonder whether the effect works both ways, sometimes standing out can help (if an individual player is being kicked all over the park), and sometimes blending in is good (if you are the team doing the kicking).

You're right - it was Romania. I think Jimmy Hill was arguing that it would serve as an advantage to the team as they would be easier to spot. I think he was mocked for that, but he wasn't wrong. You will be able to see a player in your peripheral vision quicker if they stand out more. It's the opposite effect of Man Utd's infamous grey 'camouflage' kit.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Wizerud said:

Celtic would survive in the Premier League.

This current Celtic squad wouldn't but if you allowed them into the PL, with the money that PL get, then you'd see a different story.

The issue with the SPL is that there's no money in it which is why it's a non comparison for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Koke said:

Ranieri has never been a great manager. He's been a good solid manager throughout his career despite him being at some pretty big clubs, which imo he shouldn't have been at. His record shows he's a mid tier level manager. 

Apart from when he won the league with 1 of the favourites for relegation? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlueSi13 said:

Is it though?

Not in the top 30 globally in terms of social media following (we're 27th) which includes clubs from Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Brazil, Argentina, Indonesia & Mexico:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/827759/largest-soccer-clubs-worldwide-digital-community-size/

They even appear to be dwarfed by the likes of Crystal Palace on platforms like Twitter and Instagram.

I've spent plenty of time living and working abroad and I personally think Celtic's "international clout" is a bit of a myth.  Think most Europeans put them in the same bracket as clubs like Red Star Belgrade or Spartak Moscow.  Big fanbase yes, but not in the same galaxy as Europes genuine elite.

I too Travelled & Worked in godforsaken places around the Globe...I am Not too sure of the last 10-15 years,to be honest...

But in far flung corners, Celtic hardenned &Financial support was One of the highests..No myth...

Alot of Quiet & Anonymous partners donations & support .....

Though many individuals & Groups might Now have passed on, and in itself Football finances more under control...

Though Not the corruption( no taint on Celtic)

Where Celtic Now would be struggling ,are the astronomical  costs,wages,Fees of modern players....& High Rated staff..!!

Donations,Financial backing from normal well meaning resources just doesnt cut into that gigantic pie today...

9 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Here's mine - brace yourself. 

Ranieri wasn't a great manager in 15/16. He did an okay job - the formation change and dealing with the press were his main strengths. 

I think Ranieri in 2015/16 was the most staggeringly, unlikely good fit, a genuine stars aligned moment, what happened in 2016/17 was what I thought would happen in 2015/16 and that wasn't really baseless either, he looked totally done at any decent level.

I don't think what he did was some work of genius. I know what you're saying.

I don't think Celtic and Rangers should be in the English Premier League. Not that they couldn't compete but it would make Scottish football even more mediocre than it already is without their top teams there.

But I think the league cup should be revamped to create a cross border competition. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

You know what? I think that's a fuching brilliant idea. I think I might even take it a step further and open it up to the whole of the UK. Like a mini European competition "Battle of Britain" sort of thing. I think that would breathe new life into a competition that could really use it.

The police will think that's a great idea :rolleyes:

Hordes of Rab C Nesbit Glaswegians all around Central London or the Clock Tower is an image that football could do without. Just no. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

The police will think that's a great idea :rolleyes:

Hordes of Rab C Nesbit Glaswegians all around Central London or the Clock Tower is an image that football could do without. Just no. 

lol Oh, yeah. Hadn't thought that far ahead. It's a non-starter.