Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NasPb

Amartey

Guest Col city fan

Again, I know that you could hurl the label of ‘confidence player’ at most players, but I think it epitomises Big Dan.

During those games when we are under pressure, you can visibly see him panic, abd this does lead to someone not being marked in the penalty area or him making an obvious error.

Two games stand out for me in this respect. Forest away last season in the cup, where it was abundantly clear they were ‘up for it’ right from the KO, and Amartey had one of the worst defensive displays I’ve ever see him have. Secondly, Brentford at home where we conceded the late goals and he was just not marking players, not stopping crosses and just not defending…panicking basically.

Conversely, when he’s confident he can be excellent. He’s ‘all effort’, he’s strong and pretty quick.

I think having Faes alongside him has brought this side of Dan to the fore. For now, the panic seems to have subsided. And the same is true, coincidentally, of Ward.

Why I’ve always thought Amartey would look very good in a good Championship side is because these times when he’s put under tons of pressure will be lessened. I could see him looking exceptional at a Burnley for instance.

Whether we give him a new contract, for me I’m unsure. If the rumours are true that he’s earning 60k per week, I wouldn’t re-sign him on that level of salary.

9 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Whether we give him a new contract, for me I’m unsure. If the rumours are true that he’s earning 60k per week, I wouldn’t re-sign him on that level of salary.

I think there is a very good chance we give him a new deal

Evans' renewal seems to have gone quiet, Soyuncu will be gone, I expect the club will try everything to get rid of Vestergaard as well

If we let Amartey leave there is every chance we go into next summer with just Faes, and with all the other signings we will need to make with other players leaving I am not sure it would be good for us to have to go out and sign 2 or 3 new centre backs

If we signed a new centre back in January it could alleviate the "stress" next summer in terms of squad turnover but I imagine there will be big questions over the future of Evans as well (I wouldn't be surprised to see him take on the Morgan role of 4th/5th choice next season if he does stay)

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 3

Guest Col city fan
2 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I think there is a very good chance we give him a new deal

Evans' renewal seems to have gone quiet, Soyuncu will be gone, I expect the club will try everything to get rid of Vestergaard as well

If we let Amartey leave there is every chance we go into next summer with just Faes, and with all the other signings we will need to make with other players leaving I am not sure it would be good for us to have to go out and sign 2 or 3 new centre backs

If we signed a new centre back in January it could alleviate the "stress" next summer in terms of squad turnover but I imagine there will be big questions over the future of Evans as well (I wouldn't be surprised to see him take on the Morgan role of 4th/5th choice next season)

I think you’re prob right fella and I think he’ll be re signed 

6 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I think you’re prob right fella and I think he’ll be re signed 

Faes + a new first choice partner

Amartey + Evans / younger talent

Would be happy go into 23/24 with something like that, hopefully we can work something to get the new partner or the younger talent in January

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

Missed a clearance header on the halfway line a few games ago? Few on here called him out for it.

His game has massively improved but let's not try and rewrite his 'career' as a CB, in the main he was poor, he isn't anymore but I doubt Barca or RM will be knocking in January.

If Faes and Knudson can improve him that mucg in seven games imagine how impressive a good CB would look.

Which game? 

With all the speculation over Maddison, and the fact that we have three of the Belgium squad let's not forget that big Dan will almost certainly be playing in the world cup.

Say what you like but all said and done this guy has premier league and FA cup medals, played European football and is a regular for his national side. Not too shabby a cv. 

• Thanks 1

Many things have been said over Amartey..

I believe this season will show if he becomes at last a

permanent feature at Leicester.

It seems hes found his calling at CB with Faes….

Just before he broke his leg,he had a  period at FB & also

was starting to find that needed form..

For various & different reasons he deserves that recognition 

& should be another of our cult hero..

You can’t help but like the guy…He’s been here a long time & fought

over 2-3 very difficult periods…Something Leicester fans adore..

We have to take him & Mendy,more to our hearts and now recognise

they have been important “ backburners” for us…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Tenuous at best. 99/100 that free kick doesn't go in.

Sure, it wasn't a shocking error. But in a tight game of very fine margins it was a momentary misjudgement that contributed to allowing Man City the chance to win the game. In saying all this, fair play to Big Dan he has looked much better than normal playing with Faes. The 2 of them seem to get on well and work very well together.

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Claridge said:

If Evans is fit I would play him, 

I wouldn't. I've loved Jonny evans' time with us but he's been honking this season and a pretty big cause of the horrendous start to the season. 

Dan is quicker, stronger, has better passing and although imo a bit over coached and robotic (as opposed to instinctively defending) he very much resembles a modern centre half. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Again, I know that you could hurl the label of ‘confidence player’ at most players, but I think it epitomises Big Dan.

During those games when we are under pressure, you can visibly see him panic, abd this does lead to someone not being marked in the penalty area or him making an obvious error.

Two games stand out for me in this respect. Forest away last season in the cup, where it was abundantly clear they were ‘up for it’ right from the KO, and Amartey had one of the worst defensive displays I’ve ever see him have. Secondly, Brentford at home where we conceded the late goals and he was just not marking players, not stopping crosses and just not defending…panicking basically.

Conversely, when he’s confident he can be excellent. He’s ‘all effort’, he’s strong and pretty quick.

I think having Faes alongside him has brought this side of Dan to the fore. For now, the panic seems to have subsided. And the same is true, coincidentally, of Ward.

Why I’ve always thought Amartey would look very good in a good Championship side is because these times when he’s put under tons of pressure will be lessened. I could see him looking exceptional at a Burnley for instance.

I think you're right about his confidence. 

Was it the Palace game where he started and made a couple of errors early and looked a bomb scare?  But as he gained confidence and settled, he looked more and more comfortable.

Since then he's looked increasingly comfortable, and does have a bit of physicality and pace. Agree on the influence of Faes. 

A no brainer to re-sign. Won't be the biggest earner, more than competent squad player.  We've spent much more on worse. 

13 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I wouldn't. I've loved Jonny evans' time with us but he's been honking this season and a pretty big cause of the horrendous start to the season. 

Dan is quicker, stronger, has better passing and although imo a bit over coached and robotic (as opposed to instinctively defending) he very much resembles a modern centre half. 

Just shows how people see the game differently, he has done well recently, but always seems a bit of a bombscare to me. 

6 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Just shows how people see the game differently, he has done well recently, but always seems a bit of a bombscare to me. 

I know what you mean, however I think that's more a case of people projecting thier own anxieties on him, than any real evidence. Tbh, I'm finding myself worried now when Wilf gets the ball more than any other player in the trsm

14 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

No chance.

8 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I know what you mean, however I think that's more a case of people projecting thier own anxieties on him, than any real evidence. Tbh, I'm finding myself worried now when Wilf gets the ball more than any other player in the trsm

I agree about Wilf

8 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Hes a far better player if fit, but only the coaching staff know that.

Is he any more though? And does he suit our style and give the team balance? I would say no to both. He's a better more natural defender, but he's slower, less physical and slows our play down. He prevents pushing defensive line up the pitch as he gets caught out by anyone remotely quick. Also I would say the defensive record since he got injured specks volumes.

14 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Is he any more though? And does he suit our style and give the team balance? I would say no to both. He's a better more natural defender, but he's slower, less physical and slows our play down. He prevents pushing defensive line up the pitch as he gets caught out by anyone remotely quick. Also I would say the defensive record since he got injured specks volumes.

Just feel with Thomas coming in, the experience of Evans could be crucial, if he is fit though. Just feel Amartey and Thomas in defence is a bit of a risk.Waes is the reason we have looked so much better

12 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Just feel with Thomas coming in, the experience of Evans could be crucial, if he is fit though. Just feel Amartey and Thomas in defence is a bit of a risk.Waes is the reason we have looked so much better

One man doesn't improve a defence that much. The unit as a whole is working better. We have to take one of those out because of injury, why would you want to disrupt it even more?

I feel there's a lot of nostalgic backing behind Evans, he was a brilliant defender when we signed him, but he's not that player anymore. He's as much if not more of a liability than Amartey.

• Like 1