Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NasPb

Amartey

18 minutes ago, Rawlings said:

Pick your percentage!

Amartey was a midfielder converting to a central defender.  

BR knew it was a difficult transition and required time. 

Any reasonable fan, who watches him weekly & understands the game, should have also figured that out

It's not rocket science.  

Well, anyone that knows football knows that big Dan was as much of a CM as Paddy Kisnorbo was

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, westernpark said:

I don’t understand those questioning whether Amartey was capable of his recent performances, based upon a shaky start to the season. Did they not watch him last season? He was perfectly reasonable then.

He really wasn’t!

His games were full of poor positioning, lack of confidence and bad decision making. He’s not got the ability to play as a RB and he’s not good enough with the ball as a CDM. 

I still think it’s great that he’s now proving a lot of people wrong (including me) but, he needs to do something that he’s not done previously, and that’s have a consistent run of form (not just a few games) in one position. Then I will be totally convinced. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rawlings said:

There are fans who never rated him.

Those fans intentionally forgot that Amartey was a midfielder, who played at right back at city and now being converted to a central defender.

The conversion to a central defender was always going to take time.

Those who know their football (like BR) knew this day will come and thus gave him time.

You either go out and spend $20million on a good defender who does not care for the club and will leave immediatly he gets offers (Forfana)

OR you stick with a player who loves the club, is not perfect, but give their all and improves week in and week out. 

Pick your poison!

There's a middle ground.

44 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

He really wasn’t!

His games were full of poor positioning, lack of confidence and bad decision making. He’s not got the ability to play as a RB and he’s not good enough with the ball as a CDM. 

I still think it’s great that he’s now proving a lot of people wrong (including me) but, he needs to do something that he’s not done previously, and that’s have a consistent run of form (not just a few games) in one position. Then I will be totally convinced. 

I've been a big fan of Dan at CH, (and RB actually) for a long time however he had the horrendous knack of being penalised for every small error (Chelsea this season summed him up, when the useless sterling fluked that looping effort ......dive in to Sterling and risk getting skinned, hold and delay - as he did - and get battered for not closing down) . Which, in itself, is bad news. Give me lucky me lucky generals and all that. 

However, maybe he now has a partner to conceal those once a game lapses. 

He's a modern defender.  and I think a tad overcoached. You can see him processing what to do when a striker is at a certain angle...it's almost always textbook correct. 

Just one thing for the doubters to think on....when did you ever see Dan make a desperate last ditch tackle? Good defending rarely has to..and he fits that bracket.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, filbertway said:

Well, anyone that knows football knows that big Dan was as much of a CM as Paddy Kisnorbo was

A lot of our fans won’t remember the glory days of Kisnorbo being played out of position. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

He really wasn’t!

When in doubt check the stats not your feelings

• Benching Big Dan: 14 goals in 5 matches, i.e. an average of 2.8 goals/game 
  • Starting Big Dan:  1 goal in 6 matches, i.e. an avarege of  0.16 goals/game  

6 games 5 clean sheets is consitency enough.

Edited by Rawlings
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Bert said:

A lot of our fans won’t remember the glory days of Kisnorbo being played out of position. 

Half the fans are currently on Wikipedia, trying to find out who he is! 

16 hours ago, Bert said:

Kisnorbo McCauley

What a pairing. Second best defence in the league the season we got relegated? Better then the top 4. Problem was with scoring goals.

22 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

He really wasn’t!

Not keen on these handwavey detail-free declarations. Or the use of he word 'full' in the preceding sentence, when 'occasional' is much more accurate. Of course, occasional poor positioning and bad decision making is exactly what all our other CBs were guilty of last season and the season before that and the one before that, so I can see the temptation to exaggerate beyond what would otherwise be a very shrugworthy comment.

Anyway...

What ability is he lacking that prevents him being a right back (ability that say Castagne has)? What extra does he need on the ball to be a decent CDM (on-the-ball chops that say Ndidi had)?

Edited by turtmcfly
a *little* less sarc eh

10 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

I love these handwavey detail-free declarations. And the use of he word 'full' in the preceding sentence, when 'occasional' is much more accurate. Of course, occasional poor positioning and bad decision making is exactly what all our other CBs were guilty of last season and the season before that and the one before that, so I can see the temptation to exaggerate beyond what would otherwise be a very shrugworthy comment.

Anyway...

What ability is he lacking that prevents him being a right back (ability that say Castagne has)? What extra does he need on the ball to be a decent CDM (on-the-ball chops that say Ndidi had)?

I guess it’s one of those you’d be surprised to have to explain to people who have seen him play live on a regular basis. 

27 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

I guess it’s one of those you’d be surprised to have to explain to people who have seen him play live on a regular basis. 

I was much less surprised at what he's done over his last 6 games than you were, yet you're at it straight away with the supremely confident calls with regard to the limits of his ability, limits you admit you've already misjudged once.

But as expected, when pressed for something beyond 'amateur scout, I use me eyes me' stuff, it's nada time...

Edited by turtmcfly

22 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

I love these handwavey detail-free declarations. And the use of he word 'full' in the preceding sentence, when 'occasional' is much more accurate. Of course, occasional poor positioning and bad decision making is exactly what all our other CBs were guilty of last season and the season before that and the one before that, so I can see the temptation to exaggerate beyond what would otherwise be a very shrugworthy comment.

Anyway...

The haters just can't come around to accepting that Big Dan has now mastered the CD. The stats (not feelings & opinions)  are proving them wrong week in, week out

Last  Six matches:  1 goal against, i.e. an avarege of  0.16 goals/game  

The haters even managed to blame Big Dan for that single goal. 

"..blah blah blah ..... he should not have commited the foul,  that  resulted in the free kick that resulted in the goal."

Nobody is asking how the opposing player  was allowed to get that close to the penalty box.

• Haha 1