Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NasPb

Amartey

7 minutes ago, The_Rorab said:

I mean there's a bit of a difference between being pleased he's not in the starting lineup and saying that he stinks the place out every time he plays, no?

One is probably universally agreed upon, and the other is just an insult.

Albeit looking back, you've got a more reasonable take on things in that you aren't just calling him complete shite like some people, I've no qualms about being pleased he can be moved back onto the bench, but I don't think it's strange to see people defending him when you have people coming to the thread to say he's an abject footballer etc when he clearly isn't. He's just not quite good enough to be a regular starter for a team that wants more than just survival.

Yes - spot on. :appl:

4 minutes ago, Devonfox1884 said:

Big Dan as a 4th choice CB is absolutely fine. He’s played more this season than I would have ideally wanted him to, and he is prone to a mistake, but the guy gives his best every time he’s on the pitch and he has at times shown himself to be quite a capable CB.

If we let Dan go then we’re probably looking at a bare minimum £5m or so to replace him, likely a fair bit more than that. I can’t help but feel that money would be better used elsewhere considering the players we’re going to need to sign this summer.

Hope he signs an extension.

I mean with Evans likely finished at this level, Soyuncu leaving and Vestergaard useless and leaving we will need a new centre back, but as you say replacing him wouldn't be a priority. Signing a 3rd choice CB behind Souttar and Faes, a goalkeeper and right winger (hopefully Tete) plus replacing Tielemans and potentially Maddison are all more pressing issues than replacing Amartey as number 4 CB.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Devonfox1884 said:

Big Dan as a 4th choice CB is absolutely fine. He’s played more this season than I would have ideally wanted him to, and he is prone to a mistake, but the guy gives his best every time he’s on the pitch and he has at times shown himself to be quite a capable CB.

If we let Dan go then we’re probably looking at a bare minimum £5m or so to replace him, likely a fair bit more than that. I can’t help but feel that money would be better used elsewhere considering the players we’re going to need to sign this summer.

Hope he signs an extension.

I would offer him a new contract on the understanding he’s a4th choice cb with a wage reflecting that. If he’s after a big pay rise we would be better off letting Ben Nelson step up.

Big fan has served his purpose. He’s not a terrible player but can be useful. He just has that tendency to drop a clanger when you least expect it or need it. Big games can hinge on pivotal moments so we can’t afford players switching off and gifting the opposition. 

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

I thought Amartey was starting to making grounds as LB,Then he broke his ankle/leg....Then that position was ceased by Riccardo...

Amartey won a few Brownie PTS, covering various positions..but never became master of one. A true fringe player..who simply deserves more respect. Than the shit thrown at him..

Don’t you mean RB I can’t remember him ever playing a LB 

Edited by baldeagle

52 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

Big fan has served his purpose. He’s not a terrible player but can be useful. He just has that tendency to drop a clanger when you least expect it or need it. Big games can hinge on pivotal moments so we can’t afford players switching off and gifting the opposition. 

He's made mistakes, but also received

Hospital passes , or receiving player,

Ndidi/Tielemans have lost & not secured ball    He does have that lovely knack,every 2nd game also just to switch off,but then who hasn't since last season ..

Amartey is like many PL players away from top 4 ( at any time)..a decent player short just of any period consistency...He through many 90 minutes will be having seemingly a good decent game,then a fade out, often a gate-crash of a failure, he's last on the line, oppo often scores..!!

No excuse for me,when it keeps happening....

But he also stops & kills opportunities & created chances from the opposition..

It's what's counter-acts what....

What doesn't work are our triangles & quick play from the R.hand side when defending.

Hoping  Castagna/Soutta/Faes with  Tete & Maddison as release will stop that high car crash error rate...

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Amartey is a good character and squad player, much like Mendy, Praet and Albrigton in his later years.

The issue isn't having one of those squad players in your 11, it is when you have 4 or 5 of them playing. 

Mendy as only been there or majority of times,when we played positive successfull football..in these last 2-3 seasons..ditto when we moved good ball & decent crossed Mr Sharkey was the catalyste

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Surprised. Feels like Amartey has been a mainstay of the side this season and Justin has been out for ages. I suppose a large part of Justin's time out was the world cup so it seems longer but no games were played.

24 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Can’t believe I’m saying this but once we have defenders back, if Ndidi is still playing as badly I’d be interested in seeing Amartey come on as a sub in midfield, which was his original position. 

It really wasn't. He's always been a CB.