Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NasPb

Amartey

Guest Col city fan
8 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Is it Brendan’s habit or this forums, had he gone with a back four this forum would have gone into melt down with why Is he changing a winning formula etc etc

I prefer the back 4 with the personal we have available and now Evans is fit we should stick with it, him and Cags for now to allow another midfielder in.

We certainly looked more defensively ‘intact’ in the second half. But we were on the front foot so I guess that was why 

Guest Col city fan
On 29/10/2021 at 15:19, Munshi said:

Some will find it tough to accept but he’s been our best defender this season. When he plays we usually win too.

🤔

Edited by Col city fan

Guest Col city fan
1 minute ago, adam said:

The bloke is hopeless. Shouldn't be anywhere near a premier league side. So poor on the ball 

There you go, all ye Foxes Talk sheep. 
How’s about giving THIS guy some stick for having a pop at your beloved?

Whatever your views on Amartey, or any other player for that matter are, ask yourself a couple of things.

1. Are they good enough to play for a PL team with top ten ambitions.

2. Should a club in our position have a squad good enough and better prepared for unexpected injuries.

For me it's simple. We should have better squad players than Amartey.

I'm not having a pop at him he's doing an ok job, but ok isn't good enough at this level. Average or above average isn't good enough either. The margins of skill at this level are too minute.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

If we decide to play three centre-backs, which three would you choose from those available?

1 hour ago, adam said:

The bloke is hopeless. Shouldn't be anywhere near a premier league side. So poor on the ball 

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

He isn't "hopeless" though. 

I certainly don't think he's a starter when every defender is fit, sadly we aren't in that position yet, but Amartey is more than capable cover which is what he's basically doing at the minute.

As I said, he does give the ball away a lot but so does Soyuncu who I feel is the weaker link. 

Amartey is decent cover. That's all he is. We aren't gonna get excellent performances from his every weekend. We aren't gonna get excellent centre backs to just cover, which is what he's doing, as Fofana will be straight back in once fit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

We certainly looked more defensively ‘intact’ in the second half. But we were on the front foot so I guess that was why 

We did for sure, I certainly would prefer us starting with Ndidi, Soumare and Youri in front of Evans n Cags than 2 of them in front of those 2 with either Dan or Vesta

Evans is the key and now he seems to be able to push out 2 games back to back I think he will revert to a back 4, for me it gives us more flexibility through wing play, the midfield and attacking options

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

He isn't "hopeless" though. 

I certainly don't think he's a starter when every defender is fit, sadly we aren't in that position yet, but Amartey is more than capable cover which is what he's basically doing at the minute.

As I said, he does give the ball away a lot but so does Soyuncu who I feel is the weaker link. 

Amartey is decent cover. That's all he is. We aren't gonna get excellent performances from his every weekend. We aren't gonna get excellent centre backs to just cover, which is what he's doing, as Fofana will be straight back in once fit.

I  agree but to compete at this level we need better than "decent" cover.

10 hours ago, Head Honcho said:

I  agree but to compete at this level we need better than "decent" cover.

Agreed. But also, as I said, we aren't gonna get exellent cover realistically. What good defender is gonna sit on the bench and only play when needed like Amartey does?

I like Amartey playing as a limited CB in a 2 or in the middle of a 3 because he is quite awkward on the ball. It’s often painful to watch him as a RCB but for me that’s not the type of player he is. I don’t know what BR expects him to do in that role. Same with Soyuncu this season, he’s looked really uncomfortable on the ball at LCB frequently this season. With these three I would put Evans left, Amartey central and Soyuncu right but I think BR thinks it will be too risky to put Amartey in that role.

Amartey has had a good run but we need better when playing this system.

13 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Do people really think we are going to have a player of Fofana's quality as our fourth or fifth choice centre back? Do people understand that we don't have the budget of Man City or Chelsea and consequently can't afford to have about 5 £50m centre backs in our squad being paid 100k per week? For a 4th or 5th choice centre back Amartey is fine, if obviously below the quality of our starting centre backs. The problem comes when we have to start him for weeks on end because of too many injuries. The same happened with Fuchs last season. 

Certain people seemingly do and I don’t get it. Amartey is just a squad player who wouldn’t be starting if Fofana was fit. His passing isn’t great but we all know that, he can defend though. 

Edited by Unabomber

15 hours ago, peterborofox said:

He was poor today. I hope one poor show doesn't get him dropped for Leeds for ****ing Vestegaard. He's been shit in almost every game

Leeds are going to double their total goals this season (2?) against us next week, Rodgers should go full **** it and just start Amartey, Vestergaard and Soya.

10 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Certain people seemingly do and I don’t get it. Amartey is just a squad player who wouldn’t be starting if Fofana was fit. His passing isn’t great but we all know that, he can defend though. 

People do know this, they just choose to carry on.

I respect Dan but if you think he's in the current starting XI by choice you are absolutely deranged.

15 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Do people really think we are going to have a player of Fofana's quality as our fourth or fifth choice centre back? Do people understand that we don't have the budget of Man City or Chelsea and consequently can't afford to have about 5 £50m centre backs in our squad being paid 100k per week? For a 4th or 5th choice centre back Amartey is fine, if obviously below the quality of our starting centre backs. The problem comes when we have to start him for weeks on end because of too many injuries. The same happened with Fuchs last season. 

Pretty much this, if Fofana, Evans or Soyuncu aren't injured, he doesn't get near the first eleven.

He is capable of a solid game but will always be a bit bombscare.

Find someone better who is happy to be 4th, 5th choice.

The trouble with this place is people make their mind up about players and then feel they have to defend their position. Amartey/Perez/Maddison etc can't have a good/bad game because I've decided what they are and it's set in stone. 

• Like 2

Guest Col city fan

I think we all agree that this season he’s been one of our better defenders and that he’s a ‘squad player’. He IS awkward on the ball but he can make good blocks etc

None of that is in doubt

What surprises me is this thing on here whereby people will try to defend him to the hilt when he has pretty awful games. I’ve never understood that, which is why I try to do the opposite (and fair play, some of it is a wind up too)

We are all City fans and surely want us to play well and to do well? When I see players looking out of their depth, like Thomas was yesterday and like Big Dan was, I say so

Im a Leicester fan, not an Amartey fan, so I’ll always criticise when I see him having a shocker. 
He’s attained an almost strange, cult-like status on here, whereas players like Vestergaard get roundly slated and castigated?

I’ve never understood it, never will either.

I think it must be a psychological thing with Amartey. Physically he has all the attributes of a good CB. But mentally he can look so shaky, loses his position so frequently and just looks ‘scary’

You can usually tell how he’s going to play after the first few mins. Yesterday he nearly gave away the own goal right from the start and never really regained his composure 

Edited by Col city fan

2 years ago we thought we had the best back 5 in the league. We now have fit and available the options to go back to that with a switch from chillwell to castagne... we shouldn’t need to stick with the 5 anymore. 

Edited by Lambert09

13 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I think we all agree that this season he’s been one of our better defenders and that he’s a ‘squad player’. He IS awkward on the ball but he can make good blocks etc

None of that is in doubt

What surprises me is this thing on here whereby people will try to defend him to the hilt when he has pretty awful games. I’ve never understood that, which is why I try to do the opposite (and fair play, some of it is a wind up too)

We are all City fans and surely want us to play well and to do well? When I see players looking out of their depth, like Thomas was yesterday and like Big Dan was, I say so

Im a Leicester fan, not an Amartey fan, so I’ll always criticise when I see him having a shocker. 
He’s attained an almost strange, cult-like status on here, whereas players like Vestergaard get roundly slated and castigated?

I’ve never understood it, never will either.

I think it must be a psychological thing with Amartey. Physically he has all the attributes of a good CB. But mentally he can look so shaky, loses his position so frequently and just looks ‘scary’

You can usually tell how he’s going to play after the first few mins. Yesterday he nearly gave away the own goal right from the start and never really regained his composure 

Col....Vestergaard gets roundly slated and castigated because he's absolute dogsheite. I'd confidently say he's the worst defender we've had in my time watching us in the top flight post 2014 and between 96-2003. Just wanted to clear that up for you.

Edited by tickler28

I really like Amartey but to say that he has become a reliable member of the defence while we're leaking around 2 goals a game is a worrying position to be in. 

It feels like a few teams have evolved and improved in 2021 while we're going backwards. 

It will be really interesting to see if we can change this pattern or not.