Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NasPb

Amartey

17 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Which I do. Read the thread through.
But I think a good example on here of people jumping on the bandwagon of the Amartey love in is that I think I was the ONLY poster to point out that Chelsea on Saturday clearly targeted our right side of defence. If you watched the game it was clear as crystal. That struck me of them having done their homework and knowing that the Albrighton/Amartey combo was where they’d exploit us the most. And so it proved. I say it because I think it was very very apparent 

You didn't mention Albrighton though and you used examples of his apparent poor positioning costing us where he actually wasn't to blame 

Edited by Tommy Fresh

27 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

He’s not hung out to dry on here! Quite the opposite I’d say. He’s become a cult figure that people clearly refuse to debate or criticize any more. 
It’s very similar to the ‘cult of Cambiasso’, where he could have played an absolute stinker for us, but would still get a 7 on the post match player ratings thread.
As I’ve said before, it’s bizarre but it’s a foxes talk thing I think 

Let it go Col. Still trying to bang the same drum 7 years on. Cambiasso is one of the best midfielders ever to play for us IMO but you claimed he wasn't as good as Lee Cattermole FFS. lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Guest Col city fan
2 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

Let it go Col. Still trying to bang the same drum 7 years on. Cambiasso is one of the best midfielders ever to play for us IMO but you claimed he wasn't as good as Lee Cattermole FFS. lol 

The point remains and as I say, I think it’s an FT phenomenon. Cambiasso had some stinkers for City, but no-one wanted to admit it. Same with big Dan at present.

But I’m happy to take the lead, I don’t mind.

Guest Col city fan
4 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

If anyone thinks Dan Amartey is good enough to be playing for a side in Europe

and looking to challenge top 6 in the Premier League then I’m astounded. Him playing speaks more to our horrendous recruitment in that area than any ability or character.

Careful mate, you’ll get branded too. It’ll happen. It’s kinda tantamount to online bullying, but I’m used to it, take it on the chin and continue to post what I think is right. I’ve never been a sheep 

Edited by Col city fan

6 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

and looking to challenge top 6 in the Premier League then I’m astounded. Him playing speaks more to our horrendous recruitment in that area than any ability or character.

If Vestergaard was any good Amartey would be 5th choice and even so he's not a bad 4th choice. I don't think anyone has said they'd have him starting week in week out if everyone was fit so I don't get your point. But I'm 'astounded' anyone thinks we can have 5 top 6 standard centre halves in the squad 

Edited by Tommy Fresh
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Him playing speaks more about our ballon d'or winning centre back in waiting getting twatted in our last pre season game.

Surely you can't expect us to stockpile hoards of top European centre backs and keep them all happy? 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

If Vestergaard was any good Amartey would be 5th choice and even so he's not a bad 4th choice. I don't think anyone has said they'd have him starting week in week out if everyone was fit so I don't get your point. But I'm 'astounded' anyone thinks we can have 5 top 6 standard centre halves in the squad 

34 minutes ago, walkerleeds said:

Him playing speaks more about our ballon d'or winning centre back in waiting getting twatted in our last pre season game.

Surely you can't expect us to stockpile hoards of top European centre backs and keep them all happy? 

No, I’m not expecting 4 or 5 Champions League ready center halves but if we want to be competing at that level then we should have either someone young with potential or someone who has been first choice for a smaller Premier League side in those 4th or 5th slots.

Granted Vestergaard (who is increasingly looking like a really bad signing) fits that profile - and that was probably the thinking behind getting him - but there are decent deals to be had out there, including the following in recent years for not too dissimilar to what we paid for Vestergaard: Rodon (Spurs), Dawson (West Ham), Webster (Brighton), Godfrey (Everton)

I get we like the cult hero vibes of Amartey and I get that he’s been a perfectly good servant over the past few years. But if you’re happy to say you’re ok with Amartey starting for us on anything more than a once-in-blue-moon basis then you should be happy for us to go back to bottom half premier league football.

What actually exacerbates the problem is that we are insistent/reliant on playing out from the back. Whilst Amartey can tackle and head a ball, he cannot pass. This means that there is consistently a faulty cog at source in the machine that’s trying to get the ball through the field. If you want to really nail that style, you can’t afford to carry that: it’s exactly why Guardiola binned the likes of Hart and Otamendi not long after arriving into Man City.

23 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

No, I’m not expecting 4 or 5 Champions League ready center halves but if we want to be competing at that level then we should have either someone young with potential or someone who has been first choice for a smaller Premier League side in those 4th or 5th slots.

Granted Vestergaard (who is increasingly looking like a really bad signing) fits that profile - and that was probably the thinking behind getting him - but there are decent deals to be had out there, including the following in recent years for not too dissimilar to what we paid for Vestergaard: Rodon (Spurs), Dawson (West Ham), Webster (Brighton), Godfrey (Everton)

I get we like the cult hero vibes of Amartey and I get that he’s been a perfectly good servant over the past few years. But if you’re happy to say you’re ok with Amartey starting for us on anything more than a once-in-blue-moon basis then you should be happy for us to go back to bottom half premier league football.

What actually exacerbates the problem is that we are insistent/reliant on playing out from the back. Whilst Amartey can tackle and head a ball, he cannot pass. This means that there is consistently a faulty cog at source in the machine that’s trying to get the ball through the field. If you want to really nail that style, you can’t afford to carry that: it’s exactly why Guardiola binned the likes of Hart and Otamendi not long after arriving into Man City.

Not arguing that value for money isn't out there, and if we were really planning to sign a 4th/5th choice centre half as part of a premeditated recruitment drive I'm sure they'd look for such value. 

Again not sure anyone expects or really wants Amartey starting week in week out but without injuries and us playing a back 4 he doesn't make the bench most weeks I imagine. However most can acknowledge circumstances have dictated he's playing a bigger role than he should be but actually he's been pretty steady and better than Soyuncu this season. 

On the passing part he's clearly not Thiago Silva, but I'd hazard a guess his completion rate is over 80% (awaits "all sideways or backwards" comment which would be unfair considering Evans and Soyuncu are just as bad)

6 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Not arguing that value for money isn't out there, and if we were really planning to sign a 4th/5th choice centre half as part of a premeditated recruitment drive I'm sure they'd look for such value. 

Again not sure anyone expects or really wants Amartey starting week in week out but without injuries and us playing a back 4 he doesn't make the bench most weeks I imagine. However most can acknowledge circumstances have dictated he's playing a bigger role than he should be but actually he's been pretty steady and better than Soyuncu this season. 

On the passing part he's clearly not Thiago Silva, but I'd hazard a guess his completion rate is over 80% (awaits "all sideways or backwards" comment which would be unfair considering Evans and Soyuncu are just as bad)

In the Prem he has the best pass completion of the 3

Amartey 87.1%, Soyuncu 86.5%, Evans, 82.2%

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Which I do. Read the thread through.
But I think a good example on here of people jumping on the bandwagon of the Amartey love in is that I think I was the ONLY poster to point out that Chelsea on Saturday clearly targeted our right side of defence. If you watched the game it was clear as crystal. That struck me of them having done their homework and knowing that the Albrighton/Amartey combo was where they’d exploit us the most. And so it proved. I say it because I think it was very very apparent 

Yet they only scored from a corner, the middle and the left. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Careful mate, you’ll get branded too. It’ll happen. It’s kinda tantamount to online bullying, but I’m used to it, take it on the chin and continue to post what I think is right. I’ve never been a sheep 

...and just ignore anyone who makes a reasoned and nuanced counterpoint to your inane ramblings.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

Yet they only scored from a corner, the middle and the left. 

The one from the middle started on the left too. Castagne and Soumare getting played round too easily by James and Kante.

• Like 1

On 22/11/2021 at 16:31, Col city fan said:

He’s not hung out to dry on here! Quite the opposite I’d say. He’s become a cult figure that people clearly refuse to debate or criticize any more. 
It’s very similar to the ‘cult of Cambiasso’, where he could have played an absolute stinker for us, but would still get a 7 on the post match player ratings thread.
As I’ve said before, it’s bizarre but it’s a foxes talk thing I think 

Amartey isn’t a world beater though and no one thinks he is. He’s a squad player who isn’t even 3rd choice so our expectations of him are lower. So when he plays a couple of good games it impresses people and  they appreciate it. A few average games and it doesn’t bring us the same disappointment  as say even  Soyuncü who cost about  quadruple what he did.  

• Like 4