Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NasPb

Amartey

Guest Col city fan
18 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I can't get too cross about a defender that is unlucky enough to have the ball pass between his legs twice, it happens. 

The second one was understandable. The ball took a slight ricochet off Fofana’s legs to send it through Amartey’s. The first goal was poor tbf

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

The second one was understandable. The ball took a slight ricochet off Fofana’s legs to send it through Amartey’s. The first goal was poor tbf

And unless I've missed something, we were already in trouble by the time it got to that point. 

I think TV makes split second stuff look awfully easy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

He caught the header too well, a little glance on it and it would have been in. How long is it since we scored from a Corner and we nearly got 2 tonight.

I wouldn't be certain on the CB pairing going forward. Evans Fofana and Soyuncu are all left sided CBs. I think if fit Evans and Fofana will be the pairing and I wouldn't be surprised to see one or both of the others leave in the Summer if the price is right.

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Evans has played equally well on both sides, and Fofana for me has been better more consistently on the right as well.

This. Evans has played either side and is capable of both and I thought last night was the first time Fofana has played as LCB for us? 

Think he’s previously only ever played on the right with Evans/ Söyüncü on the left. Unless he played on the left of Big Wes at one point? Did we ever have a big and little Wes CB pairing? I can’t remember exactly 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Foxes96 said:

This. Evans has played either side and is capable of both and I thought last night was the first time Fofana has played as LCB for us? 

Think he’s previously only ever played on the right with Evans/ Söyüncü on the left. Unless he played on the left of Big Wes at one point? Did we ever have a big and little Wes CB pairing? I can’t remember exactly 

Think they played together in the FA cup briefly? could be wrong tho

2 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Evans has played equally well on both sides, and Fofana for me has been better more consistently on the right as well.

Yes granted Evans has played on the right but it's debatable if he's as good on the right as the left.

He's played most of his career on the left if I can remember.

Fofana came as a left sided CB. I do remember him having an excellent game the first time Brendan tried him on the right. Not sure who against.

I'm a firm believer players should be left where they feel most comfortable.

Edited by Clever Fox
Left something out.
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Col city fan said:

It's not great, but Renne's lad from Yorkshire gave the cross a right old wallop - see below. Amartey's just about to plant his feet just as he hits it, and he doesn't have time to readjust. It looks a lot worse in slow motion obviously. 

His passing these last few games has been even better than earlier in the season (which was decent, but stood out largely relative to the shite dished up by the other CBs). Even the fatuous 'mistake in him' merchants have been quiet of late.

Importantly, as much as some people will 'yeah, but no' him, he is still improving. I'd love to see how much better he can get, but suspect that unless Soyuncu is injured we won't get to find out.

Edited by turtmcfly

Just now, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Deliberately missed that header so Wes could have his moment of glory from the ensuing corner. That's how good a teammate Big Dan is.

Seriously though, it's not been a vintage season (yet) for the club, but we'd really have been up shit creek without Amartey this season. He deserves credit.

completely agree, really hope we offer him a new deal, as long as he is happy to be a back up option based on the fact we sign a new cb or two I think it makes sense for all parties. easy to forget he has been with us since the title wining season. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Deliberately missed that header so Wes could have his moment of glory from the ensuing corner. That's how good a teammate Big Dan is.

Seriously though, it's not been a vintage season (yet) for the club, but we'd really have been up shit creek without Amartey this season. He deserves credit.

... Amartey did the basics with that header, it came off the knee of the Keeper whose hands were nowhere near!!!

He should have headed back in the direction the ball came. I don't see that heading is something that we spend any length of time in respect of coaching. If Klopp can see the advantage of an expert in taking throw-ins, we need to learn to be more proficient in both boxes in heading the balls.

Probably a good 15 points that could be picked up by a better attention in this area.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Amartey did the basics with that header

That was my take on it too. Made sure he met the ball and got good, solid contact etc... keeper was where he was, on another day etc. No fault in my book. Next time he'll add the refinement of placement - and playing like he is, there will be a next time.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Its going to be a big decision to split Dan and Caglar now , they are looking a solid pairing.

He was playing quite well until Brendan brought on Evans and moved him to RB. He then seem to lose all confidence and became a liability, including being

at fault for their Goal.

That's the risk you take with him. But at CB he looked composed and has time to pass the Ball.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Its going to be a big decision to split Dan and Caglar now , they are looking a solid pairing.

Yeah, but the games will be coming fairly thick after the break. Fofana and Evans will be eased in. Barring injuries (ha!), we may have seen the last of Vesty in a Leicester shirt.

8 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

He was playing quite well until Brendan brought on Evans and moved him to RB. He then seem to lose all confidence and became a liability, including being

at fault for their Goal.

That's the risk you take with him. But at CB he looked composed and has time to pass the Ball.

He has never been a proper full back really doesn't recover quickly enough. In the centre he is fine at CB or DM. Although he has had the odd good game at full back, we really should not have to play him there with the number of full backs we have.

• Like 2

Forming a good partnership with Soyuncu. Looks solid most games next to him. 

Probably in the plan for Castagne to come off at the time he did. But I'd have brought Ricardo on instead of shifting Amartey out wide. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Forming a good partnership with Soyuncu. Looks solid most games next to him. 

Probably in the plan for Castagne to come off at the time he did. But I'd have brought Ricardo on instead of shifting Amartey out wide. 

My take is Ricardo still under the weather or we felt the extra height was useful 

Really good again at centre half. Totally unconvincing at right back. We looked attackable down that side as he was tucking in a lot.

I guess Rodgers wanted to save a sub and possibly have Amartey on for his height at set pieces, but Ricardo or Thomas (with JJ at right back) on would have been the better fit 

Guest Col city fan

I wouldn’t give Dan a new contract personally 

I think he needs to move away and to cement a first team spot at a club more at his level. He clearly loves playing.

When Evans, Cags and Fofana are all fully fit, I don’t think Dan will feature much AND I think we’ll sign another CB in the summer

I still don’t think he’s good enough for a club wanting to progress next season. He makes too many errors to rely on and is the epitome of a confidence player. When he’s nervous he goes to pieces (eg Forest in the cup).

He’s been a loyal servant and is clearly a ‘nice guy’ but both for good of the club and the player, I’d be looking to move him on. 

Guest Col city fan
3 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Nah. If Evans or Fofana are fit, they’ll be back in.

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I wouldn’t give Dan a new contract personally 

I think he needs to move away and to cement a first team spot at a club more at his level. He clearly loves playing.

When Evans, Cags and Fofana are all fully fit, I don’t think Dan will feature much AND I think we’ll sign another CB in the summer

I still don’t think he’s good enough for a club wanting to progress next season. He makes too many errors to rely on and is the epitome of a confidence player. When he’s nervous he goes to pieces (eg Forest in the cup).

He’s been a loyal servant and is clearly a ‘nice guy’ but both for good of the club and the player, I’d be looking to move him on. 

You wouldn’t give him a new contract?!