Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NasPb

Amartey

20 minutes ago, squidsworth said:

Problem with Cal-amartey is he makes some big mistakes and they overshadow all the good work he tends to do. Can't fault the lad for effort but it takes more than that to get near top 6, it's no coincidence with the game time hes been getting, we're poop.  That's not to say it's his fault but he's a million miles off someone like Fofana's class. If we have ambitions, rather than just holding our premier League place, he's the sort of player you might keep for cover cos he's versatile, but in my eyes he aint good enough as a starter, and I'd suggest he stays on the subs bench as much as possible too.  

I would agree with one of the posters above who said he was one of the worst last night.  Not as bad as lookman though, I think his time maybe up. 

The highlighted bit seems to be a bit cakey.

The rest of it is certainly something to mull over for everyone who thinks Amartey should start in front of Fofana

11 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

The rest of it is certainly something to mull over for everyone who thinks Amartey should start in front of Fofana

And who seriously thinks that when both are fit?

Just now, Sharpe's Fox said:

Some posters seem to mix up us liking a player who, while may not be the best we have, tries his best and doesn't hide to us thinking he is world class.

Yeah this kinda of notion has disappeared within football in the last ten years. The days of cult heroes and faulted players can not be allowed anymore. 

Guest Col city fan
7 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Cult status isn't entirely dependent upon talent though.  There's always room the try-hards and the give-it-100%'ers. Think Gary Coatsworth, Ian Hume or Steve Howard. Not the most talented guys, yet they still acquired a cult status of sorts. I for one will consider it a sad day when Big Dan moves on and can no longer get 14 year old glory-hunting Chelsea fans riled up (and let's face it, they deserve to be riled up) with his pennant throwing antics.

Whatever the ‘Amartey thing’ is on here, it’s deep seated, no doubt.

We have a situation when only last night, he was humiliated (look back at footage.. that was humiliation) by one of the oldest strikers in the division, yet on the same night we have one poster claiming he’s been (and I quote) ‘a revelation’ this season and the usual suspects arguing that black is white.

Makes me think two things:

1. Why don’t the many posters in the match thread, literally ripping Amartey to shreds (he’s a donkey etc) then write much in this thread? It is after all, the Amartey thread? I wonder if it’s because they think they’ll be bullied into submission? One poster above has already dared to criticise Dan today in this thread and I’ve seen that’s been met with four or five responses (again from the usual suspects) to argue back.

2. I wonder what the reaction would have been on the Vestergaard thread if it was Vestergaard who was torn up for arse paper last night by the ageing Teemu? We know though don’t we. He’d have been castigated on here because he’s not ‘liked’ for some reason.

For sure, the cult of Amartey is fit and well on FT.

12 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

We have a situation when only last night, he was humiliated (look back at footage.. that was humiliation) by one of the oldest strikers in the division, yet on the same night we have one poster claiming he’s been (and I quote) ‘a revelation’ this season and the usual suspects arguing that black is white.

1. Why don’t the many posters in the match thread, literally ripping Amartey to shreds (he’s a donkey etc) then write much in this thread? It is after all, the Amartey thread? I wonder if it’s because they think they’ll be bullied into submission? One poster above has already dared to criticise Dan today in this thread and I’ve seen that’s been met with four or five responses (again from the usual suspects) to argue back.

2. I wonder what the reaction would have been on the Vestergaard thread if it was Vestergaard who was torn up for arse paper last night by the ageing Teemu? We know though don’t we. He’d have been castigated on here because he’s not ‘liked’ for some reason.

Squad player.... Arsenal tonight have highlighted not many teams have 3rd/4th and 5th choice centre backs with the same ability as their first choices. Talk about cult of Amartey are you starting your own up for Vestergaard? You use this logic a lot but then don't apply the same level of criticism when Dan makes a mistake to either Evans or Fofana when they do...strange.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I see you have conveniently ignored my last reply to you. I mean I don't expect replies as such, but such is your conviction in your stance on Amartey I thought a post ripping apart every issue you have with him might warrant a response. Clearly not.

This is the post by the way. Its the final word really isn't it. You can't counter anything I've said, so I politely suggest you go away and shut up about Amartey until you can come back with more level headed view point. Or maybe just name that player who fill his role, I mean you've had 13 hours, surely such football genius as you would have the answer straight away.

13 hours ago, Facecloth said:

We've been poor in general, you say it yourself. Why you insist on calling out a player who is quite obviously 4th choice centre back (at least at the start of the season) is beyond me.

Has he been perfect, not at all, but is he expected to be even close? Of course not, he was meant to be here to step in for the odd game. He's also not the only player to make glaring mistakes this year, some of them considered first choice players. I mean how many penalties has Ndidi conceded this season? Seemed like a weekly occurance at one point. Tielemans spent most the second half of the season passing to the opposition. Barnes has been completely missing in some games. Justin couldn't win an aerial battle if you gave him a trampoline. Yet it's the stand in who stepped up when needed and exceeded the low expectations set of him you have an issue with.

I'd also say we have conceded more goals this season due to poor tactics. We have conceded lots with and without Amartey in the team. Our defending from set pieces is awful. That's partly down to being a small team, also down to the keeper not commanding the area. Maybe some of its on having to play our 4th choice cb, but its clearly not the only issue.

The biggest criticism of Amartey was his passing, and that has improved massively this season. In the most part his positioning is spot on, he wins his aerial duels, he stands up and makes clean tackles. Sure occasionally he gets done like he did last night, but find me a back up centre back outside the big 6 that doesn't.

So name the player, that's your challenge today. Name the player who would happily come here and play his role at the club who would be an improvement on him. The people employed to do that came up with Vestergaard last summer, so I'm sure the oracle of Col can do better.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Oh and Pukki is 32. He's not young obviously but he's hardly finished as a player (although he's definitely Finnish)

On 12/05/2022 at 18:19, Facecloth said:

Amartey has started 22 league games this season, I'm gonna challenge to name 11 "big mistakes" as you put it. One every other game, so if they are so glaringly obvious that shouldn't be too hard,  you should have some to spare.

Started 22(didn't realise so many) plus how many times a sub then? Yes I agree at times it was a necessary evil, but his game time far exceeds that which was necessary, in my opinion. Sorry I ain't gonna be able to give run down of the big mistakes as when I say that I'm generally referring to him missing tackles or not tackling, not marking at corners, and giving the ball away.  Much of which ultimately puts us in the back foot or nearly or did lead to goals.  I can't bring myself to watch this entire season again to let you know when and where, and I remember at the time I don't have photographic memory. :-)  I like the lad and he can be good but he needs to cut the errors, I think he has had enough chances to show he can do that, but hasn't. 

• Haha 2

On 12/05/2022 at 18:38, turtmcfly said:

Ok maybe, but he's one of the reasons. Maybe I'll go back and look at the win ratio with him in the team. ;-)

38 minutes ago, squidsworth said:

Started 22(didn't realise so many) plus how many times a sub then? Yes I agree at times it was a necessary evil, but his game time far exceeds that which was necessary, in my opinion. Sorry I ain't gonna be able to give run down of the big mistakes as when I say that I'm generally referring to him missing tackles or not tackling, not marking at corners, and giving the ball away.  Much of which ultimately puts us in the back foot or nearly or did lead to goals.  I can't bring myself to watch this entire season again to let you know when and where, and I remember at the time I don't have photographic memory. :-)  I like the lad and he can be good but he needs to cut the errors, I think he has had enough chances to show he can do that, but hasn't. 

We had no other options but to play him, how can his game time be too much when we had no options. How can it exceed what was necessary when it was due to our injury crisis, necessary.

Come on, you said he makes big mistake, you can't even name one? Every defender will be directly responsible for a goal at some point, and I'm sure he has, but you're implying it's every week, I guarantee you it's not.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, squidsworth said:

Ok maybe, but he's one of the reasons. Maybe I'll go back and look at the win ratio with him in the team. ;-)

He's played in 12 premier league victories this season, which is 54% of his games.

Guess what, we've won 12 games in the league this season. Our won percentage without Amartey is 0%.

EDIT: Slight error he was on the bench for Watford at home, so its not quite 54% and 0%, bit close enough.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 1

On 12/05/2022 at 19:24, Sharpe's Fox said:

Some posters seem to mix up us liking a player who, while may not be the best we have, tries his best and doesn't hide to us thinking he is world class.

Absolutely. I appreciate Amartey for who he is, a squad player. Before this season he was 5th choice CB. Through his consistent performances he has risen to 3rd choice. That's all we can ask of him, to be the best he can possibly be and give us 100% effort, which he does and its much appreciated, especially since others seem not to.

Edited by sm1
  • Like 4

So he makes mistakes...

Has anybody Counted how many interceptions hes made or broke up play.Put in decent tackles,

defended his Space or area, or cut in where others made mistakes...

Probably the same amount Nacho,Vardy, Maddison failed to convert or Ping stray balls around the park, After their own miscalculations.

And discussions on 2,3,4th choice...mixed with considered Rodney Fern,A.Woollett style mishaps..Each generation has there own ' get-out-guys'

what the Amount & length of Time our bline has been put under constant pressure,from its own midfield,or Front 6 compared to other league's Top 10 candidates

Fcuk..Labority-Football...!

Guest Col city fan
1 hour ago, squidsworth said:

See what you’re doing here mate… being  browbeaten into submission by the usual suspects on this thread. 
Don’t do it. Stick with what you think. It’s an online forum and let me tell you, this bunch ain’t coming round to knock your door down.

Whats happening is what I pointed out happens on here a couple of pages back

👍

I like Amartey, I think hes done better than expected but if you are starting him in 22 games of a season, and your star striker is missing for half a season and you are a club outside the big 6, I guess the best that can be hoped for is top 10. I wouldn't mind see him playing 6-10 games in the league next season but anymore and a top 7 challenge will prove difficult. the things that go in Amarteys favour are he doesn't have a huge sell on value, has a bit of versatility and seems happy enough to be a squad player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beachyboy said:

I like Amartey, I think hes done better than expected but if you are starting him in 22 games of a season, and your star striker is missing for half a season and you are a club outside the big 6, I guess the best that can be hoped for is top 10. I wouldn't mind see him playing 6-10 games in the league next season but anymore and a top 7 challenge will prove difficult. the things that go in Amarteys favour are he doesn't have a huge sell on value, has a bit of versatility and seems happy enough to be a squad player.

But you understand we've had to play him in those game because Evans and Fofana have been injured and Vestergaard has been abysmal, right?

You've basically just explain an injury crisis. 

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

But you understand we've had to play him in those game because Evans and Fofana have been injured and Vestergaard has been abysmal, right?

You've basically just explain an injury crisis. 

I understand how this season has happened sure, but my thoughts were more aimed at next season, an if next season there is a similar injury crisis that means Amartey has to play 22 games, it will mean there have been failings in transfers this summer and no real changes in how we manage or attempt to prevent those injuries, unless of course the 4th highest paid coach is able to turn Amartey into a top 7 defender should those things happen.

On 12/05/2022 at 21:15, Col city fan said:

I’ll agree with you Col he really isn’t good enough. Tolerable just about at right back but a very poor centre back.

13 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Not really. Most teams when going down to 4th choice are going to be seeing a huge drop in quality. Man Utd have had to call in Phil Jones, Spurs would probably looking at Joe Roden. You aren't gonna get a Fofana to sit on the bench for 80% of the season. Amartey is absolutely fine as 4th choice, and if your 4th choice ends up playing most the season, that's not bad recruitment, that bad injuries.

I agree with the point that Amartey is fine as 4th choice hence why I said i'm happy for him to play 6-10 premiership games prior, so if Fofana is no 1, the real things that need to be looked at in the summer is who is 2 and 3 so that Amartey is not needed as much, i'd expect a sale of Soyunchu, Evans can't be relied upon to play enough games, so if we could get £20 million for Soyunchu, a free transfer CB and another for under that £20 million, that's the busines that is needed in the summer.

• Like 2