Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Mendy

Mendy was excellent when we had the majority of possession as he is so assured on the ball. The problem came in the 2nd half as Brentford started to see more of the ball and press higher up. Mendy had to do a lot of the dirty work that we take for granted when Ndidi is in the team. This is where Mendy struggles, with tackling and retrieving the ball. The problem is I see a lot of that happening in the games to come, especially in the Conference cup.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sm1 said:

Mendy was excellent when we had the majority of possession as he is so assured on the ball. The problem came in the 2nd half as Brentford started to see more of the ball and press higher up. Mendy had to do a lot of the dirty work that we take for granted when Ndidi is in the team. This is where Mendy struggles, with tackling and retrieving the ball. The problem is I see a lot of that happening in the games to come, especially in the Conference cup.

It's a fair point, and I say that as a Mendy fan. He shines when he has space and time. Love him as I do, I still think he'll move on if he finds a club. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, splinterdream said:

Soumare was supposed to be the player that transfered the ball from defense to the final third, a player to link up with youri, he's still really young and it's his first season, would we really write him off this quickly?

A lot of the Fans are but I doubt the Club is. What we've seen of him he has struggled but it's too early to write him off. We must have seen something in him.

Mendy is decent but doesn't give us what we need, Especially against the top 6 sides.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

Soumare was supposed to be the player that transfered the ball from defense to the final third, a player to link up with youri, he's still really young and it's his first season, would we really write him off this quickly?

Yes

32 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

We probably shouldn't but to provide some context on this, I have a friend that works for the scouting team at Arsenal and who was responsible for helping them build their data analytics platform for finding players. He told me that last season, Soumare's name came up so often in technical analysis that if he had a pound for every time it did, Arsenal could have signed him for free! And their analysis has produced some great results in recent times; Ramsdale (elite distribution), Tomiyasu (high workrate, great tackling percentage, great ball progression) and Tierney (great attacking stats for a full back).

However, he says that his team and others around the country are taking a deep look at their tools when cases like Soumare come up. According to the stats he had elite stats for a title winning team and it did not surprise anyone that Leicester signed him so quickly. But he's been a big bust, and it has made them wonder if their analysis has a major flaw in it. Of course there is a settling in period and adjusting to a new league, but his stats were SO good, that you'd expect at least a middling performance from him. His words, not mine. Perhaps something more like Daka who has had some amazing performances mixed with some terrible ones. But Soumare has maybe had one good game - Spartak Moscow away. You've also got to remember that at the start of the season, Soumare was getting the sort of run in the side that KDH is getting now. He was given at least 10 games as a starter in a row to show what he could do.

Knowing us we will give him the summer and see if he improves in pre-season. But he's got to improve a lot, because for the money paid for him he's had no impact on the team. Some of the fanbase question Lookman, but he's done way more for the club than Soumare has done so far, and Mendy has just had two performances that have been better than Soumare has had all season against Arsenal and Brentford.

PL > Ligue 1

It just a massive step up in terms of the speed of the game and quality.

Edited by coolhandfox

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

PL > Ligue 1

It just a massive step up in terms of the speed of the game and quality.

For sure, but for example:

- Kante

- Fofana

- Bernardo Silva

- Moutinho

- Tielemans

- Gueye

- Cornet

All made an impact pretty much immediately.

But on the other side of the coin, here are some players that struggled:

- Fabinho (for the first 6 months)

- Lacazette

- Ndombele

- Seri

- Thauvin

- Falcao

Overall though it's fair to say the first season should be the settling in season with nothing really expected from him.

• Like 1

We always concede goals from that area when he plays. Papy's a good recycler and battles, but he doesn't shield the back four enough.

Same thing years ago when Puel started relying on him. Ball won under pressure, get it outside our box, no pressure, goal.

• Like 4

Tremendous performance, especially in the first half. So confident and secure in possession and careful and clever with his distribution. Demanded the ball continually and did good, positive things with it.

It was a treat to watch him play today. Just what this term needs. Such a shame that the hopelessly inadequate Soumare is in the European squad instead of him. Could cost us dear, that, with Ndidi being out for a while.

He's quality and has just fell foul for years of trying to win a spot over Nididi, when he's been one of the most effective CDM in the Premier league for years.

When called upon always does an adequate/good job with no match practice, a sign of his ability. Always shows for the ball and very composed on it, he does shield the back line well, not as good in the tackle as Nididi but definitely better on the ball. Be a shame when he moves on, which I think he will, as he's a fantastic squad player to call on, like Amartey.