Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Mendy

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

We probably shouldn't but to provide some context on this, I have a friend that works for the scouting team at Arsenal and who was responsible for helping them build their data analytics platform for finding players. He told me that last season, Soumare's name came up so often in technical analysis that if he had a pound for every time it did, Arsenal could have signed him for free! And their analysis has produced some great results in recent times; Ramsdale (elite distribution), Tomiyasu (high workrate, great tackling percentage, great ball progression) and Tierney (great attacking stats for a full back).

However, he says that his team and others around the country are taking a deep look at their tools when cases like Soumare come up. According to the stats he had elite stats for a title winning team and it did not surprise anyone that Leicester signed him so quickly. But he's been a big bust, and it has made them wonder if their analysis has a major flaw in it. Of course there is a settling in period and adjusting to a new league, but his stats were SO good, that you'd expect at least a middling performance from him. His words, not mine. Perhaps something more like Daka who has had some amazing performances mixed with some terrible ones. But Soumare has maybe had one good game - Spartak Moscow away. You've also got to remember that at the start of the season, Soumare was getting the sort of run in the side that KDH is getting now. He was given at least 10 games as a starter in a row to show what he could do.

Knowing us we will give him the summer and see if he improves in pre-season. But he's got to improve a lot, because for the money paid for him he's had no impact on the team. Some of the fanbase question Lookman, but he's done way more for the club than Soumare has done so far, and Mendy has just had two performances that have been better than Soumare has had all season against Arsenal and Brentford.

Perez though, had so much game time in an attept to get him to improve, Gray also, comments reportedly from Rodgers that's he's one for the future says he's got time. He has his age on his side I would have thought, i wonder though if he's happy here, whenever I see him, he looks either miserable or very nervous.

So much respect for Mendy who has played himself back into contention two years running now (and maybe before that?). He was even released at the end of last season, which makes it all the more impressive.

He’s a good squad option and does a job when called upon. Today he was very good.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

Perez though, had so much game time in an attept to get him to improve, Gray also, comments reportedly from Rodgers that's he's one for the future says he's got time. He has his age on his side I would have thought, i wonder though if he's happy here, whenever I see him, he looks either miserable or very nervous.

Soumare himself has said he's a big introvert and that earlier in his career his coaches spent a long time trying to get him to come out of his shell and be more confident.That could be why he looks nervous, as he did look very scared today when he came on for his brief cameo.

I'm not sure what his English is like, but hopefully he's learning it. Fofana busted out a brilliant level of English midweek, so perhaps the two are learning together? If he is, that could be a way to adapt better to the league.

• Like 4

He recycles the ball a whole lot better than Ndidi so in a game like today's where we have a high amount of possession ( the first half in particular) it suits us much better but in a more combative game, we really depend on Ndidi. 

• Like 1

I think a lot are missing the important point that Brentford stood off us particularly first half.

He looked extra good today because he had that time and we were carving them open.

It's different against the quicker sides who move the ball quickly and pressure teams into mistakes.

What we need is someone who can stand up and perform in both enviroments.

That doesn't make Mendy a bad player,  just not quite what we need.

1 hour ago, Le Renard said:

Good performance from the little guy, but some on here are writing Soumaré off after his first season, and plenty of people on FT have done that to Mendy over the years. 

It's all about the attitude and desire for me.

Soumare doesn't come across well when it comes to fighting for the ball and putting himself on the line in any situation.

Mendy as limited as he is gives absolutely everything when called upon and would have in over Soumare evey day of the week

He was very good today but helped by a system that Brentford played which didn’t include a no 10. So he could just pivot off on the press and then have twenty yards in front of him. 

Brentford did this because they noticed how Dewsbury Hall and Tielemans have increasingly gone wider in their position. KDH takes up possession in positions you’d associate with a normal left midfielder while Youri enjoys sitting in the right back pocket. Brentford elected to go with a straight midfield three and conceded the space to Mendy. 

Difficulty for Mendy is when a player starts to occupy the space in front of our two CBs and how he deals with that in the coming weeks 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2

What was brilliant about him today is the way he'd get the ball and just drive forward. Seen so often this season we'd look to offload a wayward pass as soon as we get possession. But he made sure we were at least 10 yards further up the pitch before making that decision. Good presence all round 

Edited by TK95
  • Like 2

Most of you have nailed it. Mendy is very reliable and you k ow what your gonna get.

he looked super comfy today I’m his role and made everything tick around him.

with wilf out and Mendy unable to play In our euro game I’m worried what our plan C is!

7 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

We probably shouldn't but to provide some context on this, I have a friend that works for the scouting team at Arsenal and who was responsible for helping them build their data analytics platform for finding players. He told me that last season, Soumare's name came up so often in technical analysis that if he had a pound for every time it did, Arsenal could have signed him for free! And their analysis has produced some great results in recent times; Ramsdale (elite distribution), Tomiyasu (high workrate, great tackling percentage, great ball progression) and Tierney (great attacking stats for a full back).

However, he says that his team and others around the country are taking a deep look at their tools when cases like Soumare come up. According to the stats he had elite stats for a title winning team and it did not surprise anyone that Leicester signed him so quickly. But he's been a big bust, and it has made them wonder if their analysis has a major flaw in it. Of course there is a settling in period and adjusting to a new league, but his stats were SO good, that you'd expect at least a middling performance from him. His words, not mine. Perhaps something more like Daka who has had some amazing performances mixed with some terrible ones. But Soumare has maybe had one good game - Spartak Moscow away. You've also got to remember that at the start of the season, Soumare was getting the sort of run in the side that KDH is getting now. He was given at least 10 games as a starter in a row to show what he could do.

Knowing us we will give him the summer and see if he improves in pre-season. But he's got to improve a lot, because for the money paid for him he's had no impact on the team. Some of the fanbase question Lookman, but he's done way more for the club than Soumare has done so far, and Mendy has just had two performances that have been better than Soumare has had all season against Arsenal and Brentford.

Maybe the factor that could not be calculated is his level of confidence? As someone asked above, how is his English? Maybe new league, new language, and being an introvert made him nervous and his abilities are subdue?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ricey said:

Played very well today but he struggles in more physical matches. Today was ideal for him.

In the ECL I suspect we’ll drop Soumare in that deeper role, which by all accounts he prefers.

I really hope not, anybody but him