Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Mendy

9 hours ago, enmac said:

Mendy is like a metronome. Tick tock, tick tock...

Definitely adds something to the midfield. Calmness. I definitely wouldn't sell him. 

I agree. He offers us something different and very valuable. So does Wilf. We still have basically the same team that finished fifth in successive seasons and won the Fa cup. We made two longer term speculative signings in soumare and Daka that will need time to flourish and may not work out. Along with two shorter term fix it signings that on paper looked sensible given the budget and situation. Brendan fired off after the forest match about rebuilding the team out of frustration and trying to get a reaction out of the players. Reality is that we may lose a player or two but then reinvest to hopefully improve the first team and squad with one eye on what’s coming through from the youngsters. I do believe that if we have a good summer and a bit of freshening up we can look to challenge the top six again next year. Mendy and Wilf should feature but never rule out an opportunity to upgrade if it landed at our feet and Keep all the players on their toes. 

• Like 3

Mendy is a limited player but, unlike other players we have or have had, I can see immediately what he brings to the team and the role he can play. That role is discharged effectively and, therefore, makes him a more useful squad member that Hamza (barring a defensive injury crisis) and Praet. I’d have much rather had him in the squad at the expense of Hamza and also feel he offers more than Praet (admittedly different role and completely different type of player), although you could make an argument for Praet being at least as good as Soumare given the limited evidence of this season.

Should we keep him at the club? No. I really don’t see how we can. Given the way he has been treated I’d imagine he’ll be strongly pushing for a move in the summer and the club surely can’t, in all good conscience, stand in his way. Retaining him as a squad player would be ideal, but I don’t think that would be fair on him now given the strong evidence to suggest he’ll once more be discarded as soon as a new signing comes in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, frakenfox said:

We had an issue at CB and not in midfield. In retrospect, it was a poor call... but at the time

Plus we probably thought Soumare could do Papy's job but with a greater ability to get up the pitch. We were all wrong...

I was a big critic of him the first few years he's joined, but this season I think he's showing what he can do. He was never going to be another Kante. But I think he's a good asset to us and suits the way we play now. Decent footballer, who understands his role, keeps it simple and does it consistently well. Give him a new contract.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

I was a big critic of him the first few years he's joined, but this season I think he's showing what he can do. He was never going to be another Kante. But I think he's a good asset to us and suits the way we play now. Decent footballer, who understands his role, keeps it simple and does it consistently well. Give him a new contract.

Do you really think he’d sign one?

I wouldn’t if I was him 

• Like 1

Just now, Jobyfox said:

Do you really think he’d sign one?

I wouldn’t if I was him 

If he plays from now until the end of the season and we improve his terms, I think he would. Wouldn't blame him if we wanted to move elsewhere though.

On 04/04/2022 at 20:48, sm1 said:

He was doing that at Afcon too. I dont know whether he's being practising or just more confident playing as a regular for Senegal, but he was putting some lovely diagonal passes behind the defence.

It’s got to be down to instructions. 

• Like 2

I honestly think right now he's a better option than Ndidi, who has had a pretty poor season by his standards. Mendy is less error prone and hardly ever misplaces a pass, Ndidi's passing has been horrendous at times this season.

• Like 4

Just now, Shane said:

Another solid performance today

Very good. He was not only good defensively, and made us so much better in transition and beating the press, he also started to showcase his dribbling abilities! What a player we have. We really have squad depth when we are fit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hales said:

So pleased for Papy! He really is a solid and reliable performer.  Glad he is getting his chance again. 

Unfortunately he is in Rodgers’ blind spot and as soon as Ndidi is back, Mendy would be in the reserves again. I won’t be surprised if Mendy is sold this summer.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 1

Just now, Tom12345 said:

Unfortunately he is in Rodgers’ blind spot and as soon as Ndidi is back, Mendy would be in the reserves again. I won’t be surprised if Mendy is sold this summer.

As much as i would like him to stay I hope he is sold for his sake. He deserves first team football. 

2 minutes ago, Hales said:

As much as i would like him to stay I hope he is sold for his sake. He deserves first team football. 

Agree. He deserves respect at the least and should not be out of any team’s first team roster completely. He is 29. He has given his best years to us only to be mistreated. So I also hope for his sake he goes somewhere that he can get first team football.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1