Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Mendy

25 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

the Turkish Transfer window closes a week or so after ours and after the registration window

....I would suspect at the time, Rodgers needed options for cover in that position!!!

He could not afford to let Mendy go, as the other option would be Hamza as a defensive midfielder.

2 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....I would suspect at the time, Rodgers needed options for cover in that position!!!

He could not afford to let Mendy go, as the other option would be Hamza as a defensive midfielder.

it fell through as he HAD to go to Turkey to take the medical but he was in Africa on international duty and couldn't due to Covid rules, in a normal world he moves last summer

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Mendy was on his way out but his transfer fell through on the last day as flights to attend his medical were screwed up due to covid restrictions at the time.

At the end of last season Rodgers specifically said when Wilf was out of the team we lacked physical presence and would look to address that in the summer transfer window. He obviously thought that Soumare could cover for Wilf and provide that physical presence that was missing. The system we were playing then, with madders as a 10, was  heavily reliant on a physical midfield destroyer like Wilf, considering youri is rather lightweight as well. He's now adapted this to a midfield 3, which is less reliant on midfield destroyer like Wilf, along with KDH playing as a all action box to box player is contributing more defensively

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Tanya said:

I love him so much. He never loses the ball. I remember one time three palace players closed in on him and he pirouetted, dribbled past them and then played a smart pass that got us going. Like a metronome at the base of our midfield, constantly keeping us ticking and allowing some of our flair players more time on the ball.

I remember one time Mendy got the ball on top of their box and the crowd sorta said "shoooot" until they realized it was Papy, who unlike Wilf will never take a shot from distance.

We erred badly not including him in the European squad. I'd be giving him a new contract cause he's a consumate professional and excellent squad member. He may not want to take us up on it considering he was iced out for four months. 

who would you have left out at the time?

5 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

who would you have left out at the time?

Hindsight is a beautiful thing but Benko or Soumare. In fairness I can understand why they included Soumare - he was the supposed to be the more physical version of Mendy. 

I think we needed Hamza for homegrown quotas. 

Hopefully we can convince Mendy to stay. I've been a massive fan for years and I enjoy when he gets a good run in the side. 

18 minutes ago, Tanya said:

Hindsight is a beautiful thing but Benko or Soumare. In fairness I can understand why they included Soumare - he was the supposed to be the more physical version of Mendy. 

I think we needed Hamza for homegrown quotas. 

Hopefully we can convince Mendy to stay. I've been a massive fan for years and I enjoy when he gets a good run in the side. 

Benkovic was removed to be replaced by Fofana, Bertrand was removed and replaced by JJ, Hamza could only be replaced by a Club trained player and we were already 1 short of them.

Its another reason to sell Ward and use Iversen as the no 2, he's club trained so we could have the full 25 man squad in Europe

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 2

I really do like Mendy. If we can for a moment look outside of the box and try to not compare him to Kante or N’didi or anyone else and see him just for who is than we have a very tidy, smart, capable and reliable player. There’s no nonsense with his game. He’s the grease to our engine and we should give the man a new contract. We also forget the poor guy had some bad injury spells in the past which didn’t help him one bit.

• Like 4

We’re 10x better playing out from the back with him in the side. Everyone is so much calmer knowing Papy is always showing for the pass.

Always thought if you could fuse together Mendy’s game and Ndidi’s game you would have one of the best holding midfielders on the planet. Ndidi lacks Mendy’s ability on the ball, and Mendy lacks Ndidi’s level of reading of the game and physicality.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Aleksz said:

Everyone is so much calmer knowing Papy is always showing for the pass.

There's a great deal in that I feel. The confidence he gives the team and also his ability to read the game and get himself in that position. It's his reading of the game where he is, for me at least, better than Ndidi (and, no, I don't like to compare either)

I don't think it's simply that Rodgers doesn't like him, or underrates him, it's that Mendy doesn't perhaps fit into Rodgers' preferred style. Many have mentioned already that Mendy suits a formation and style of play. That style/shape leads to other questions (where to play Maddison, etc) 

Rodgers seems to like Ndidi's physicality in the middle, his covering in front of the defense. It gives Rodgers more attacking options, frees Maddison up to play his more natural and creative game in a more central position, partially relieved of defensive duties. Mendy doesn't allow that so much.

My point is, it's not always like-for-like, either-or; there are ripples and consequences. IF (note, IF) Ndidi goes then the case for Mendy changes, because our game changes accordingly.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Babylon said:

Funny how him and Amartey now get two of the biggest cheers when the teams are read out, after years of abuse. 

I don't know if it just a British/English thing, but we do like to build people up, then knock them down and then when they've gone through the meat grinder, start liking them again.

• Like 1

It's that time of the season again when we all convince ourselves that Mendy should be here next season.

Guys like Mendy, Choudhury, Albrighton, Perez etc, simply have to be improved upon if we're to improve.

Whenever I see those names on the Bench, it bores me, and I'm praying there's no circumstances that we need to bring them on.

They can't 'Do a Job'...We saw that when key players were injured this season.

Get a proper DM competition for Ndidi and someone like a Brennan Johnson over Albrighton and Perez.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Don't get me wrong ndidi is better, but given that Rodgers has used him poorly this year (asking him to play further up etc) and injuries mendy is a breath of fresh air. If we're smart we offer him a new contract with a better role in the team. A very very very tidy player. So happy for him. Turns out he was the best 2016 window signing. A warrior that's elegant in his ways. 

23 hours ago, Aleksz said:

We’re 10x better playing out from the back with him in the side. Everyone is so much calmer knowing Papy is always showing for the pass.

Always thought if you could fuse together Mendy’s game and Ndidi’s game you would have one of the best holding midfielders on the planet. Ndidi lacks Mendy’s ability on the ball, and Mendy lacks Ndidi’s level of reading of the game and physicality.

N'mendi