Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Mendy

I'm going to really watch Mendy in the next game because I must be missing something lol All i'm seeing is a player making very basic passes (and somehow making them bobble on a carpet like pitch). I don't know if it's comparing him to Ndidi who looks like a competition winner when he's in possession. He's tidy enough but I rarely remember him doing anything that stands out, whether it be defensively or offensively.

As I say, I'll pay closer attention as I'm clearly missing something :D

On 10/04/2022 at 16:33, StriderHiryu said:

He’s better than Ndidi when we play 433. 

Ndidi is better in 4141 / 4231. 

We should extend his contract and play him more often IMO. He’s a good player. 

Papy and Wilf are almost direct opposites in how they go about the game, but Papy is a proper thinking man's player. Wilf is a beast, obviously, one of the most destructive midfielders you could imagine.

But I just instinctively like clever players, especially in midfield.

On 10/04/2022 at 20:23, Lesta2014 said:

Is it me or does he look like he’s lost some weight meaning he’s more mobile? Point today he dribbled between two and showed good acceleration and won a foul, he wouldn’t of done that two years ago 

I thought he looked almost too burly at points previously. Perhaps too many weights in an effort to get PL proof.

On 10/04/2022 at 21:54, Hamilton Fox said:

There can’t be a person that wouldn’t think that, only reason I can think is numbers if someone else got injured in defence he was needed whilst we had more midfielders at the time

But we played Ndidi infront of benc and vesty at CB.

1 minute ago, Tom12345 said:

Just watch how quickly he moves around and positions himself. He makes it easier for everyone else. This may be why you didn’t notice him much but it is exactly what is needed in that role. He makes it much easier to play out from the back. He gives comfort to the defenders that if they move out of their positions, Mendy will be there QUICKLY to cover. Mendy fills the gaps, and often therefore prevents the opposing sides from making that through ball or pass up front. So his work can be missed but is ultra important.

Ndidi is different. His positioning is different. His uses his long legs more as an aggressive weapon to anticipate the pass and then tries to intercept. This is what wows the fans and his skills can be more easily spotted. But he does miss and therefore can leave a gap that passes can go through. And in the few months before he got injured he had been a bit reckless which we saw with his going into tackles late or reckless drawing fouls. 

And then there is the ball control and passing. Yes Mendy is not Maddison, but he keeps it moving forward. He is there for the pass as mentioned above with his positioning. He then looks to play up. In his last game, he also show his ball control now he has more confidence. As for Ndidi, we all know this is his biggest problem. His instinct is to pass back to defenders to be safe or to avoid receiving the pass altogether (maybe it is also due to Rodgers instructions), but the key is that he makes it harder for us to play out from the back. His deficiency in this regard also means KDH and Maddison need to drop deeper to help out and compensate. As a result, that leaves our front players more isolated. The flow on effect is huge. Have you not noticed that the fans have complained less about sideway or backward football in the last few games. We even thought we are playing well again!

Appreciate this post mate, I'll look out for it.

As someone obsessed with action and basically prefering attacking/enjoyment over results I find it quite easy to dismiss players who do the less glamarous things :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

It's that time of the season again when we all convince ourselves that Mendy should be here next season.

Guys like Mendy, Choudhury, Albrighton, Perez etc, simply have to be improved upon if we're to improve.

Whenever I see those names on the Bench, it bores me, and I'm praying there's no circumstances that we need to bring them on.

They can't 'Do a Job'...We saw that when key players were injured this season.

Get a proper DM competition for Ndidi and someone like a Brennan Johnson over Albrighton and Perez.

Mendy deserves it. The others don’t. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, filbertway said:

I'm going to really watch Mendy in the next game because I must be missing something lol All i'm seeing is a player making very basic passes (and somehow making them bobble on a carpet like pitch) - have you seen wilds passing and his panic when getting the ball??

I don't know if it's comparing him to Ndidi who looks like a competition winner when he's in possession. He's tidy enough but I rarely remember him doing anything that stands out, whether it be defensively or offensively.

As I say, I'll pay closer attention as I'm clearly missing something :D

31 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

Just watch how quickly he moves around and positions himself. He makes it easier for everyone else. This may be why you didn’t notice him much but it is exactly what is needed in that role. He makes it much easier to play out from the back. He gives comfort to the defenders that if they move out of their positions, Mendy will be there QUICKLY to cover. Mendy fills the gaps, and often therefore prevents the opposing sides from making that through ball or pass up front. So his work can be missed but is ultra important.

Ndidi is different. His positioning is different. His uses his long legs more as an aggressive weapon to anticipate the pass and then tries to intercept. This is what wows the fans and his skills can be more easily spotted. But he does miss and therefore can leave a gap that passes can go through. And in the few months before he got injured he had been a bit reckless which we saw with his going into tackles late or recklessly drawing fouls. 

And then there is the ball control and passing. Yes Mendy is not Maddison, but he keeps it moving forward. He is there for the pass as mentioned above with his positioning. He then looks to play it up. In his last game, he also showed his ball control now he has more confidence. As for Ndidi, we all know this is his biggest problem. His instinct is to pass back to defenders to be safe or to avoid receiving the pass altogether (maybe it is also due to Rodgers instructions), but the key is that he makes it harder for us to play out from the back. His deficiency in this regard also means KDH and Maddison need to drop deeper to help out and compensate. As a result, that leaves our front players more isolated. The flow on effect is huge. Have you not noticed that the fans have complained less about sideway or backward football in the last few games? We even thought we are playing well again!

Great Post. Worth more than a thumbs up.

• Like 2

On 12/04/2022 at 21:47, Tom12345 said:

Ndidi is different. His positioning is different. He uses his long legs more as an aggressive weapon to anticipate the pass and then tries to intercept. This is what wows the fans and his skills can be more easily spotted. But he does miss and therefore can leave a gap that passes can go through. And in the few months before he got injured he had been a bit reckless which we saw with his going into tackles late or recklessly drawing fouls. 

And then there is the ball control and passing. Yes Mendy is not Maddison, but he keeps it moving forward. He is there for the pass as mentioned above with his positioning. He then looks to play it up. In his last game, he also showed his ball control now he has more confidence. As for Ndidi, we all know this is his biggest problem. His instinct is to pass back to defenders to be safe or to avoid receiving the pass altogether (maybe it is also due to Rodgers instructions), but the key is that he makes it harder for us to play out from the back. His deficiency in this regard also means KDH and Maddison need to drop deeper to help out and compensate. As a result, that leaves our front players more isolated. The flow on effect is huge. Have you not noticed that the fans have complained less about sideway or backward football in the last few games? We even thought we are playing well again!

One of the best posts on Mendy & the camouflaged presentation he brings to his game & the team

I have always shouted  that Mendy is being underrated,  too heavily & incorrectly criticised ,that some just cant see what he brings to our play...

it was no coincidence, when he came in as cover, that he helped Drive us into those top 2-4 positions...

He can also put it about a bit, he is nobodies- fool on the pitch,nor an angel...

• Like 1

On 12/04/2022 at 20:47, Tom12345 said:

Have you not noticed that the fans have complained less about sideway or backward football in the last few games? We even thought we are playing well again!

This has to be partly attributed to Evans and Fofana defending on the front foot and being able to pick a forward pass rather than pass between them and then hope that one of the Full Backs can take the ball forward after the opposition have set.

When playing with Cags and Amartey, he definitely does help us get the ball moving forward a lot quicker though. 

He was terrible today

I mean for a player he is - gets the ball, always turns to defenders, never risks and makes easy passes , its really hard to play bad and mostly he is fine, but today he was just bad 

Edited by tsintskaro
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tsintskaro said:

He was terrible today

I mean for a player he is - gets the ball, always turns to defenders, never risks and makes easy passes , its really hard to play bad and mostly he is fine, but today he was just bad 

He wasnt at his best but at least 5/6 players worse then him today

• Like 2

On 12/04/2022 at 05:17, FoxyLeon said:

It's that time of the season again when we all convince ourselves that Mendy should be here next season.

Guys like Mendy, Choudhury, Albrighton, Perez etc, simply have to be improved upon if we're to improve.

Whenever I see those names on the Bench, it bores me, and I'm praying there's no circumstances that we need to bring them on.

They can't 'Do a Job'...We saw that when key players were injured this season.

Get a proper DM competition for Ndidi and someone like a Brennan Johnson over Albrighton and Perez.

Just as a matter of interest, which game this season do you consider that Hamza didn't "do a job" when called upon?

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Claptrap

1 hour ago, bovril said:

I quite like him but I think most of foxestalk could've done what he did today. 

Dividing opinions here. Normally i think what he lacks in aggression, he makes up in passing and game acumen. But today he was truly the definition of lateral Larry. Get it in acres, shuffle it sideways or backwards (slowly) - repeat. He was poor today and looked the equal if Hamza in possession - which is not a good thing.  

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Anybody know what the point of him is? Had he ever made a forward pass? Has he ever faced away from his own goal? Has he ever done anything of note for us, ever? 

He recycles possession, key in any Rodgers team. Doesn't matter if it goes backwards, probably helps his cause actually.

13 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Anybody know what the point of him is? Had he ever made a forward pass? Has he ever faced away from his own goal? Has he ever done anything of note for us, ever? 

Never

Even before he gets the ball his body is ready to turn to our defense and pass to them, does not matter there are opposite team footballers or not

I mean he is ok squad player, nowhere near starter thats for sure 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

He was the next coming of Kante on here a few weeks back. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Mark said:

He recycles possession, key in any Rodgers team. Doesn't matter if it goes backwards, probably helps his cause actually.

Rodgers rates him so highly he didn't register him in the EPL or Europa league squads. 

• Like 2