Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Mendy

17 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Anybody know what the point of him is? Had he ever made a forward pass? Has he ever faced away from his own goal? Has he ever done anything of note for us, ever? 

He does pass it forwards tbh. Not always but that’s how Rodgers wants them to play. He’s been one of our better players since he rejoined the squad in January 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Mark said:

He recycles possession, key in any Rodgers team. Doesn't matter if it goes backwards, probably helps his cause actually.

The fact he wanted to sell him doesn't indicate that. 

He will be gone in the summer.

• 3 weeks later...

Extremely disappointing from Mendy here.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-papy-mendy-idrissa-gueye-7099688

Leicester City have issued a statement after midfielder Papy Mendy made a social media post which appeared to show support to Idrissa Gueye.

Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Gueye is said to have refused to play in a match in which his team wore a rainbow symbol in support of LGBTQ+ rights.

In a post on his Instagram Story, which has now been deleted, Mendy posted a picture of Gueye with the caption 'De tout cœur avec toi', which roughly translates to "My heart is with you".

A Leicester City spokesman said: "The Club has spoken with Papy and discussed the potential interpretation of the post, which has since been removed. It was not his intention to cause offence or to suggest he shares views that conflict with the Club's long-established commitment to equality and inclusion.

"Leicester City Football Club stands firmly as an ally of the LGBTQ+ community and is proud of the work it has undertaken in recent years, aimed at helping to create a safe and inclusive environment and educating our people on the importance of allyship.

"Working closely with our Foxes Pride supporter group and other equality stakeholders in the game and throughout our communities, great strides have been made in making Leicester City a football club for everyone. Our commitment to achieving that through ongoing education, action and allyship remains as strong as ever."

On 01/05/2022 at 17:05, turlo said:

Rodgers rates him so highly he didn't register him in the EPL or Europa league squads. 

You must of missed the whole pre-season..and first weeks of the season to registar-players..

Mendy was leaving..So what was the point..!!

So another total irrelevant use of a unknowledgeable use to blast Rodgers..Criticise by all means,but not because every ice-cream maker is broken..!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

You must of missed the whole pre-season..and first weeks of the season to registar-players..

So another total irrelevant use of a unknowledgeable use to blast Rodgers..Criticise by all means,but not because every ice-cream maker is broken..!!

He rated him so highly that we were trying to foist him off to any club that would be willing to pay lol

Considering we're already a team full of midgets though I'd prefer someone more physical to do the job of playing simple 5 yard passes and being made out to look like prime Makelele.

• Thanks 1

He made a long pass against Chelsea

never thought i would see something like that, felt like glitch in matrix

We have too many players who are uncomfortable on ball,afraid of it or just very wasteful. imagine midfield of Mendy, KDH and Ndidi. sounds like a nightmare 

hopefully we sell him

13 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

How is that blasting Rodgers?! If Rodgers rated him then he would've registered him in at least the PL squad and not tried to ship him out to another club at the end of the season. Surely someone with your knowledge would know that Mendy was being touted out to clubs across Europe at the end of last summers transfer window and a move to Turkey fell through at the last minute. 

If you did your research then you would know that at the end of last Rodgers said that we lacked physicality when Ndidi was out of the team and and wanted to address that in the summer window. In came a more physical midfielder and out went Mendy - I agreed with Rodgers at the time as I didn't rate Mendy either.

I accept your apology for falsely accusing me of "blasting Rodgers" in this instance, although I can't promise i won't be blasting him for other reasons in the future.

21 minutes ago, filbertway said:

He rated him so highly that we were trying to foist him off to any club that would be willing to pay lol

Considering we're already a team full of midgets though I'd prefer someone more physical to do the job of playing simple 5 yard passes and being made out to look like prime Makelele.

We were top 2-4,When he was playing and strutting his stuff,at top quality level. in his longest playing period for Leicester..

Something Conveniently forgotten by 

Mendy neh-sayers..and Mendy was pivotel to that period..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turlo said:

How is that blasting Rodgers?! If Rodgers rated him then he would've registered him in at least the PL squad and not tried to ship him out to another club at the end of the season. Surely someone with your knowledge would know that Mendy was being touted out to clubs across Europe at the end of last summers transfer window and a move to Turkey fell through at the last minute. 

If you did your research then you would know that at the end of last Rodgers said that we lacked physicality when Ndidi was out of the team and and wanted to address that in the summer window. In came a more physical midfielder and out went Mendy - I agreed with Rodgers at the time as I didn't rate Mendy either.

I accept your apology for falsely accusing me of "blasting Rodgers" in this instance, although I can't promise i won't be blasting him for other reasons in the future.

A manager will say many things...

Rodgers also gave /gives credit when a player produces.Mendy in this case.

One does not hold people to individual "outings"to make a point,one listens further & maybe takes the collective history of statements..

You can blast any manager when you like..but please the whole story of statements and then the players performances for full context...

But like other fans,we all see & take our own perspectives..

Never take my points personally,I enjoy your input both when I agree or disagree with them..:cheers:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

We were top 2-4,When he was playing and strutting his stuff,at top quality level. in his longest playing period for Leicester..

Something Conveniently forgotten by 

Mendy neh-sayers..and Mendy was pivotel to that period..

I'll have to take you at your word because I just tried to work it out and got bored after 20 minutes :D

He's a solid enough player, but I think there's plenty of players that can do what he does. Ideally we find someone with his skillset that offers more.

My point was really that you disagreed that he wasn't rated by the club even though we were trying to fob him off to any club that'd have him. I'd argue that strongly suggests he wasn't particularly highly rated by management.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I'll have to take you at your word because I just tried to work it out and got bored after 20 minutes :D

He's a solid enough player, but I think there's plenty of players that can do what he does. Ideally we find someone with his skillset that offers more.

My point was really that you disagreed that he wasn't rated by the club even though we were trying to fob him off to any club that'd have him. I'd argue that strongly suggests he wasn't particularly highly rated by management.

if it is not too late then I would keep him

15 hours ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

Extremely disappointing from Mendy here.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-papy-mendy-idrissa-gueye-7099688

Leicester City have issued a statement after midfielder Papy Mendy made a social media post which appeared to show support to Idrissa Gueye.

Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Gueye is said to have refused to play in a match in which his team wore a rainbow symbol in support of LGBTQ+ rights.

In a post on his Instagram Story, which has now been deleted, Mendy posted a picture of Gueye with the caption 'De tout cœur avec toi', which roughly translates to "My heart is with you".

A Leicester City spokesman said: "The Club has spoken with Papy and discussed the potential interpretation of the post, which has since been removed. It was not his intention to cause offence or to suggest he shares views that conflict with the Club's long-established commitment to equality and inclusion.

"Leicester City Football Club stands firmly as an ally of the LGBTQ+ community and is proud of the work it has undertaken in recent years, aimed at helping to create a safe and inclusive environment and educating our people on the importance of allyship.

"Working closely with our Foxes Pride supporter group and other equality stakeholders in the game and throughout our communities, great strides have been made in making Leicester City a football club for everyone. Our commitment to achieving that through ongoing education, action and allyship remains as strong as ever."

Is it really extremely disappointing? 

Seems to me he made a fairly bland, uncontroversial, clichéd comment to support a guy who's probably one of his close mates. 

I imagine most players have Clauses in contracts about suppressing their own political views whilst an employee (and therefore representative) of a club. And he more or less stayed within that. 

Or is it just you personally that for some needy reason requires Papy's  validation of your own particular world view?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Seems to me he made a fairly bland, uncontroversial, clichéd comment to support a guy who's probably one of his close mates. 

I imagine most players have Clauses in contracts about suppressing their own political views whilst an employee (and therefore representative) of a club. And he more or less stayed within that. 

Or is it just you personally that for some needy reason requires Papy's  validation of your own particular world view?

Yes, when the players run around with "kick it out" and "the game is for everyone" supporting BLM but being blatently homophobic at the same time isn't a great look for the club. 

Especially in the same week the football league has seen its first openly gay footballer in years come out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tsintskaro said:

He made a long pass against Chelsea

never thought i would see something like that, felt like glitch in matrix

We have too many players who are uncomfortable on ball,afraid of it or just very wasteful. imagine midfield of Mendy, KDH and Ndidi. sounds like a nightmare 

hopefully we sell him

if your instructions are recycle the ball then you will never see him make the forward pass, that's down to the manager not the player.

2 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

....when the club has to step in to disassociate themselves from the post, then you know it is a serious misstep by the player!!!

As has been said before, we do have games dedicated to the "Rainbow" movement and he (Mendy) is not boycotting them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

For the record I personally support LGBTQ+ but let's not conflate disparate issues...

Surely Papy does not have to share Gueye's views to support Gueye's rights to hold such views.

....in a way that does not make any sense!!!

Everyone is entitled to their own views, but their are consequences when you choose to express them publicly. You are in effect saying that he, Mendy, could post support to Tommy Robinson for the response he receives for his views. He must therefore share the same values if he is endorsing someone who has such views.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

Yes, when the players run around with "kick it out" and "the game is for everyone" supporting BLM but being blatently homophobic at the same time isn't a great look for the club. 

Especially in the same week the football league has seen its first openly gay footballer in years come out. 

Another one conflating disparate issues...

There are clubs (e.g., Brentford) and players (Zaha, Dennis, etc.) who do not take a knee before games. I do not believe that means that they support racism or are against anti-racism, and neither is anti-discrimination synonymous with "supporting BLM" (which somehow seems to trigger you). One can support everyone's right to hold disparate views without necessarily supporting each view. It's called FREEDOM of speech. The converse is fascism and/or so-called "cancel" culture.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

Another one conflating disparate issues...

There are clubs (e.g., Brentford) and players (Zaha, Dennis, etc.) who do not take a knee before games. I do not believe that means that they support racism or are against anti-racism, and neither is anti-discrimination synonymous with "supporting BLM" (which somehow seems to trigger you). One can support everyone's right to hold disparate views without necessarily supporting each view. It's called FREEDOM of speech. The converse is fascism and/or so-called "cancel" culture.

So you feel it's absolutely fine to be inclusive to one group in society, but dismissive to another? 

"It's everyone's game" is plastered everywhere, and yet mendy publicly broadcasts his support to someone who is against kicking out homophobia and other forms of discrimination?

How do you expect people who are LGBT to support the team when we have a player like Mendy who is publicly against them? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....in a way that does not make any sense!!!

Everyone is entitled to their own views, but their are consequences when you choose to express them publicly. You are in effect saying that he, Mendy, could post support to Tommy Robinson for the response he receives for his views. He must therefore share the same values if he is endorsing someone who has such views.

Comprehension issues? :blink:

What does the highlighted have to do with the basic position I proffered? For illumination, I am personally against "cancel" culture directed at people who have taken positions that I am personally against or even find abhorrent. That one supports everyone right to express an opinion (even a vile one) does not NECESSARILY equate to a support for such opinion. That's the LIMITED scope of my comment.

Meanwhile, regarding Mendy, I am reasonably sure that his contract with Leicester City (whether it's an employment agreement or personal services agreement) would contain what is colloquially known as a "good character" provision that basically requires him to effectively tow the company line. Accrdingly, he was RIGHTFULLY chastened for falling out of said line - but that has NOTHING to do with my comment.

Quit conflating all issues folks. Some of us still retain the capacity to walk and chew gum simultaneously and thus capable of NUANCE!

• Like 4