Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Youri Tielemans

Apparently the CL matters more to Tielemans than the FA Cup. Who’s have believed it?

I agree with those who say Youri isn’t totally blameless for those two meltdowns, though in his defense Rodgers totally ran him into the ground (especially last season).  And frankly, he’s been pretty mediocre so far this season.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StanSP said:

Basically waiting to see who'll come in for him in January or summer and if that offer is attractive enough he'll entertain it. 

I think even if we offered him the most luxurious contract we ever have, it won't be enough. 

Oh, is that it? Not nearly as bad as everyone is making out. It's no different to when he initially signed for us, and he stresses he will put 'even more' into the club for as long as he's here.

I hope he extends, but so long as he gives his all right until the end and wishes us well if he leaves, I'll still love our star man. He won us an FA Cup, after all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

he wouldn’t be the first player to do this and if he continued to give 100%, would the fanbase turn on him ?  I doubt it - the club are at fault for not insisting on a deal which meant he signed for five years in the first place ……I’m sure a creative arrangement could have been found  where a fifth year with preset wage increase ahead of it could have been automatically claimed by the club if certain targets were met like EL qualification 

....I still think it is all tied to our wages structure, and if we are to offer him 200k per week Vardy's wages moves in the same direction!!!

Possibly contingent on him ever leaving, he will be paid a lump equating to the difference between 200k per week. So we offer him 120k now and when he goes or new contracts expires he gets the backlog in one lump some.

Edited by sacreblueits442

6 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....I still think it is all tied to our wages structure, and if we are to offer him 200k per week Vardy's wages moves in the same direction!!!

Possibly contingent on him ever leaving, he will be paid a lump equating to the difference between 200k per week. So we offer him 120k now and when he goes or new contracts expires he gets the backlog in one lump some.

That’s creative but means he has to wait several years for what is, in effect, his wages …. . and if vards does have a clause (which is pretty dumb by the club if he does) then his agent is going to take that YT arrangement and make sure his client benefits in the same way once YT leaves.  

7 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

How do you know the club didn't insist on a 5-year contract? I imagine that's probably what the club wanted. For it to have ended up a 4-year deal suggests to me that it was a deal-breaker. I don't know how you can say the club are at fault when you don't know the ins and outs. It might have been 4 years or nothing at all for all we know.

You’re right - I don’t know the details.  We could have had a year extension if we qualified for CL clause in there……..  but I bet we don’t  ……..

Hard as it is to swallow Youri can pretty much go anywhere, in an attempt to earn more money (definitely) more trophies (probably) and can’t imagine many of us on here would be any different….Maguire, Kante, Mahrez, Drinkwater,Chilwell all followed the same route with mixed results….in a 16 year career why wouldn’t you?
Don’t forget, it was those transfer fees that bought the player in the first place…..we have already bought Soumare, whilst it’s probably too early to say for sure I assume he is at 22, Youri’s replacement….

7 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Re-read my post. I was saying that he would have signed the deal if we had made CL but not that this would have guaranteed him staying forever.

But it would have bought us more time, given us more financial security and lessened the urgency in his mind for him to leave. If we got top 4, he signs and likely feels “I’m playing champions league football so no need to rush anywhere, if a massive club comes in then I’d like to take the opportunity”.

Now we haven’t it’s “open to everything”. Which he is well within his right to say. He’s a magnificent player and I don’t doubt that he would never not give 100% or be a consummate professional. But unfortunately we are where we are as we didn’t secure that CL football.

Way too much speculation and conjecture on your part.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Actually refreshing to hear a player being honest and not just kiss-the-badge stuff which most don't mean.

Anyone getting on his back purely over this interview needs a reality check.

Absolutely and in any case, it's personal business. Understandably, if he's happy to stay why show your cards completely, you'd try for the best possible deal you can get. Likewise, as a young player, he will have ambitions and goals, is he going to achieve those at Leicester?

Would being a first name on a team sheet at Leicester for the next 3 years enhance or jeopardise a move to a big club later on or, would being a bit part player at this stage of his development be advantageous as he'd learn more surrounded by better players and possibly a better manager? The latter isn't straightforward is it.

Does he rate Rodgers as being capable enough a manager tactically to get the best out of the squad he's in, we know he's a good man manager.

I think he appears happy here with his family but moving countries at a young age doesn't seem to have fazed him thus far if he thinks it's in his own best interests. 

He has difficult life decisions to make and they're very personal ones. If he was anyway unsure at this time and he was my son, I'd say don't rush it, take your time, the ball is very much in your court and it is, he holds all the cards. He's doing the right thing for him and his family. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 3

I think it’s no safe assumption that Tielemans could walk onto any club in the world on his current form.  He’s a very, very good MF but he’s not in the absolute top tier.  Most big clubs would be happy to have him, but he’d be a squad player for a lot of them.  Would he be OK with that - and how much is even a superteam going to be willing to pay for a squad player?

• Like 3

We need to all accept the fact he’s one of the best in Europe at what he does and, like the majority of other players we have and have had over the years, he will inevitably leave one day. He could play for anyone in the world - if they stump up the cash. Arguably he’s not yet at peak age either.

We are and have been very lucky to have him, and for this long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

I think it’s no safe assumption that Tielemans could walk onto any club in the world on his current form.  He’s a very, very good MF but he’s not in the absolute top tier.  Most big clubs would be happy to have him, but he’d be a squad player for a lot of them.  Would he be OK with that - and how much is even a superteam going to be willing to pay for a squad player?

I think you're right at the moment. 

Having said that there's been periods over the last 2 years when he's only been bettered in his position by Kroos/Modric and maybe 1 or 2 others. He's an absolute rolls royce of a footballer on his day. 

He's for me one of very few to have worn the shirt that it pretty much doesn't matter where they go after Leicester, I won't hold it against them. If he goes and plays for one of the best sides in the world (Liverpool, City etc) - fine. If he goes and plays for PSG and makes bank - fine. Been brilliant for us and I'd wish him all the best - I just hope we get somewhere near to market value for him (Rice is being touted at £100m and those two players aren't even in the same ballpark). Anything less than £60-70m and I'd be disappointed to be honest!

11 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I don’t buy that argument in my example. A Real or Bayern could well be enough to prevent anyone else taking an interest.  He could easily decide 

that 175/200k from one of them is more attractive than 250k from a prem team. 

But it only take both Bayern and Real to want him and we get the price moving. Your example is less common in these situations, I'm even trying to think of a recent example where a player worth £70m + has transferred for a quarter of that with 12-18 months left on their deal. Seldom happens. Players running their contracts down in to their last year and then leave on freed that are high end players actually tend to be at big clubs who refuse to sell them - hence why PSG clear up most seasons snaffling such players. 

15 hours ago, Jaspa said:

That's a shame cause that's probably where he'll end up, Utd or Liverpool.

Some strange comments in here aswell about not performed well in the last game, bad start to the season lol We've won a trophy and have won the games we should've and lost the ones we might've, more or less perfectly in line with the results against the same or equivalent sides last season. Also last season Youri went through a stretch where he wasn't at his best, "needed a rest" being banded about alot at the time ... he fought through and capped our season off with a wondergoal.

We can't let him go for free, he's an superb talent and we were lucky to even get him in the first place, you build a team around players like Youri. Let's hope we can impress him this season and get Champions League together ... :fc:

Id rather him go on a free to some decent side in Europe that either of those scummers.

I can never wish a player well when they go to our rivals

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

Appreciate this is causing speculation amongst us but the story is basically Youri refuses to discuss his personal business with Sky interviewer. Good for him. 

Or that stance is more likely to force Leicesters hand to offer considerably better terms if they want to keep him. As opposed to to saying it’s close. 

11 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Disagree with this completely, Kante left when we had qualified for the Champions League, Mahrez wanted to go that summer by all accounts too.

We are not a huge club, we are getting bigger all the time, but World class players will want to join the biggest clubs in the wold.

Evan with Champions League for a couple of seasons in a row we are still not that, look at Atlanta, Leipzig type teams. They still lose the best players to bigger club. 
Youri knows Manchester United, Liverpool and Real Madrid are sniffing around and they are elite level clubs. 
He is a top draw player and a huge lose if he does go, but he’s not the first top level player we’ve had here and won’t be the last.
Finally, let’s not get annoyed with players who are being honest. I hate players who come out and say they love the club and are here forever and then leave at the first opportunity.

I commend Youri for being open and honest with everyone and if he does leave at some point in the near future we should all wish him well and thank him for his wonderful service to the club.

Absolutely great post, couldn't agree more.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Re-read my post. I was saying that he would have signed the deal if we had made CL but not that this would have guaranteed him staying forever.

But it would have bought us more time, given us more financial security and lessened the urgency in his mind for him to leave. If we got top 4, he signs and likely feels “I’m playing champions league football so no need to rush anywhere, if a massive club comes in then I’d like to take the opportunity”.

Now we haven’t it’s “open to everything”. Which he is well within his right to say. He’s a magnificent player and I don’t doubt that he would never not give 100% or be a consummate professional. But unfortunately we are where we are as we didn’t secure that CL football.

Don't agree with that at all. Champions league or not signing a new contract in these economic times would simply have made it even harder for him to get the move to one of Europe's top clubs that he obviously seems to fancy.

No disrespect but even qualifying for the champions league wouldn't have made a huge difference if the likes of Real Madrid or Bayern come calling, as was pointed out Kante is the prime example of that.

Tielemans plan was probably always to only stay at Leicester a few years and then move on, as much as he has clearly loved his time here. There's nothing wrong with that, it's a short career and the best players are ambitious.

3 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

It's all about opinions of course but I think he walks into most top sides in Europe. Real Madrid he'd definitely play, Man City he's a far better player than Rodri and an ageing Fernandinho, Bayern he may have more of a task on his hands with Kimmich and Goeretzka but he'd still have a fair chance.

22 hours ago, StanSP said:

Basically waiting to see who'll come in for him in January or summer and if that offer is attractive enough he'll entertain it. 

I think even if we offered him the most luxurious contract we ever have, it won't be enough. 

I took it more as seeing if Leicester will get champions league I think if we do he stays if we don’t he goes

12 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Apparently the CL matters more to Tielemans than the FA Cup. Who’s have believed it?

I agree with those who say Youri isn’t totally blameless for those two meltdowns, though in his defense Rodgers totally ran him into the ground (especially last season).  And frankly, he’s been pretty mediocre so far this season.

Apparently he wants to play every game though he has said before he doesn’t like missing any game so I’m not sure it’s Rodgers that ran him into the ground

17 minutes ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

Apparently he wants to play every game though he has said before he doesn’t like missing any game so I’m not sure it’s Rodgers that ran him into the ground

Most players want to play every game 

it’s up to Rodgers to manage that for a number of reasons. The rhythm excuse is ridiculous ref midweek games - you don’t need to play twice a week, every week to stay in rhythm. 

• Like 2