Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Youri Tielemans

1 minute ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

This isn't Football Manager!

Of course we "can afford to let his contract run down." We let Silva go on a free, and got barely anything for Slimani. Together that was more money than we paid for Youri, and strangely the club survived what was the equivalent of throwing money into a tip for squad members who contributed jack squat.

We would get maybe 50 million for Youri in January (but I doubt it, more like £35). Is that worth a midtable finish to the club? I don't think so.

So, yeah, I think they'd willingly pay Youri's salary and lose him on a free (if necessary) if they thought he was key to keeping us in the European spots. 

Selling 1 player (ok a very good player) would not affect our season that much. 

He is an asset to the club. The others i imagine were written off a long time  ago. 

We couldnt afford to do it. Any profit would be considered i would imagine. 

36 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Sell at maximum profit. This winter if necessary. Can't believe that the club didn't know this was coming and hasn't been preparing for his sale. I love Youri but business is business and the model of this club is to sell and reinvest the profits in order to progress. It's the only way to maintain our position without the investment of wealthier owners.

How do you know they haven't?

They have no need to share their plan.

They have learnt from the sale of Kante and Mahrez.

I think they signing of Soumare and the promotion of KDH is a clear sign we have a eye on the future of the CM positions.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

Just now, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

The key word is "progress" -- we finished 5th the last two years running, and won an FA Cup (and Community Shield) -- it's not progress to sell Youri for a little extra cash in January if it means sliding out of the European spots. Frankly, it's not progress to sell him with a year on his contract in the summer if we don't have a replacement bedded. It would be better to let him go on a free in 2023 if that's the only way to get his putative replacement ready.

I don't think the club would sell Youri this winter for a "little" extra cash.  Don't know what the demand is for him but if a big money club like Chelsea etc want to jump to the top of the list and throw out 80 mil then I would think the club has to take a serious look. Especially if we can't get the same money with 1yr left on his contract.

I also would be concerned on what agents and their prospective players, looking at coming into the club, might think if we decide to be hard nosed about it and run the contract to the end.

We have set up a way of doing business that has put us in the top 6 without huge investment by the owners in players and if that means we have to tread water a bit to make us stronger in the long run then so be it. I understand that's not a popular opinion but this is a marathon not a sprint for me. I'm sure the club will have a plan and follow it.

Just now, goose2010 said:

Selling 1 player (ok a very good player) would not affect our season that much. 

He is an asset to the club. The others i imagine were written off a long time  ago. 

We couldnt afford to do it. Any profit would be considered i would imagine. 

Assets at football clubs work both ways: There is sell on value and there is the actual playing value. Right now, I don't think we have a replacement for him, and I think he is more valuable to us as a player. But maybe KDH will step up...

He's a top player but can't help feeling our top players get itchy feet after 2-3 years. Then what? You keep an unhappy player? We have to accept our limitations whether you like it or not. Look at Dortmund for example, great team but have exactly the same problem. Grealish leaves his boyhood club for trophies and money. So long as we keep reproducing then all good. 

Either that or send in a sheikh with a billion pounds to solve it.

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

How do you know they haven't?

They have no need to share there plan.

They have learnt from the sale of Kante and Mahrez.

I think they signing of Soumare and the promotion of KDH is a clear sign we have a eye on the future of the CM positions.

My comment is entirely speculation as is 99.9 of what I read on this forum. I agree with that.

6 minutes ago, SO1 said:

I also would be concerned on what agents and their prospective players, looking at coming into the club, might think if we decide to be hard nosed about it and run the contract to the end. We have set up a way of doing business that has put us in the top 6 without huge investment by the owners in players and if that means we have to tread water a bit to make us stronger in the long run then so be it. I understand that's not a popular opinion but this is a marathon not a sprint for me. I'm sure the club will have a plan and follow it.

Well, what Youri did was get a 4-year contract instead of a 5-year contract.

I have no doubt anyone player/agent doesn't know Leicester City can play hardball when they want. I am also completely against the notion the club has a "way of doing business" when it comes to selling players, aside from getting top dollar for players they don't want to sell. So yes, if someone comes in with 80 million in January, I expect Youri would be gone (if he wanted to leave); but he would have been gone last month if someone came in with 80 million. But those "big sales" that took place every year were sales of players the club didn't want to sell, but then someone met our (often inflated) price. We weren't actively seeking to profit from those players. In other words, the club is smart; it isn't a high-end Southampton.

My frustration with the current debate on the thread is that if Youri doesn't sign a new deal, then we have to sell him in January or the summer "according to our model." We will sell him -- or any other player, for that matter -- if another club comes in and offers what we consider a good price for the player. The club doesn't somehow need to sell Youri for its "model" to work.

22 minutes ago, SO1 said:

I don't think the club would sell Youri this winter for a "little" extra cash.  Don't know what the demand is for him but if a big money club like Chelsea etc want to jump to the top of the list and throw out 80 mil then I would think the club has to take a serious look. Especially if we can't get the same money with 1yr left on his contract.

I also would be concerned on what agents and their prospective players, looking at coming into the club, might think if we decide to be hard nosed about it and run the contract to the end.

We have set up a way of doing business that has put us in the top 6 without huge investment by the owners in players and if that means we have to tread water a bit to make us stronger in the long run then so be it. I understand that's not a popular opinion but this is a marathon not a sprint for me. I'm sure the club will have a plan and follow it.

Isn't it just possible that this winter we could get a very large amount for him, given winter prices are usually high?  If we could use that to fund Berardi (quoted somewhere as possibly being at 30mill and willing to come) plus another quality signing then it might be worth doing.

Admittedly the "other quality signing" would be more tricky, and I'm not sure which would be seen as the highest priority in terms of position/role, but if the club have this sussed out ahead of the game, as they usually have, then it might be possible.

This may appear to be a scaremongering attitude, and Tielemans might well actually be more open than it looks to signing a new contract, but I would hate to see him eventually go for an amount that wouldn't enable us to adequately replace him.

At the end of the day the club has to work on the premise that no player is indispensable.

Edited by deep blue

A year remaining isn't too bad depending on how many want him- if three or four clubs are interested we can still get a good fee as one would be prepared to pay more than the rest.

No point panicking, let's see how it plays out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

We all know he'll leave us for bigger things but it's still horrible to hear the player say he's keeping his options open.

I think he'd be great for Man Utd or Liverpool, who could do with a central midfielder like him, but I hope he goes abroad. That said, I wouldn't begrudge seeing him win the PL.

Will always be one of the greatest LCFC players I've seen and will always be a hero for what he's helped us do here, including that goal to win us the FA Cup.

....just looking on the flip side, what would you say in that instance, if your motive was to drive up your salary at your present club!!!

37 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Hopefully he goes anywhere but the 2 northern red shite teams, especially the scousers cant abide by them. 

That's a shame cause that's probably where he'll end up, Utd or Liverpool.

Some strange comments in here aswell about not performed well in the last game, bad start to the season lol We've won a trophy and have won the games we should've and lost the ones we might've, more or less perfectly in line with the results against the same or equivalent sides last season. Also last season Youri went through a stretch where he wasn't at his best, "needed a rest" being banded about alot at the time ... he fought through and capped our season off with a wondergoal.

We can't let him go for free, he's an superb talent and we were lucky to even get him in the first place, you build a team around players like Youri. Let's hope we can impress him this season and get Champions League together ... :fc:

He's been amazing for us, but I still think (and judging by other comments I have seen there's others on here that would agree) that he often goes absent against the big teams. I still feel he has plenty of development to do, and needs to choose his next step carefully. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

This isn't Football Manager!

Of course we "can afford to let his contract run down." We let Silva go on a free, and got barely anything for Slimani. Together that was more money than we paid for Youri, and strangely the club survived what was the equivalent of throwing money into a tip for squad members who contributed jack squat.

We would get maybe 50 million for Youri in January (but I doubt it, more like £35). Is that worth a midtable finish to the club? I don't think so.

So, yeah, I think they'd willingly pay Youri's salary and lose him on a free (if necessary) if they thought he was key to keeping us in the European spots. 

The clubs policy is to sell our best players, if they wish to move on, at their peak price. Eg Kante, Mahrez, Drinkwater, Chilwell, Maguire.  We only give away crap players if their is no market for them. If Tielemans does not sign soon he will go next summer with one year on his contact for a good price enabling us to rebuild better like we currently do.

Even if he went for, say, £40m next summer… that’s a profit and an FA cup winning goal - he’d leave with my best wishes as long as it’s to a non-English club.

We could reinvest that money in a replacement and hopefully have a little left over to pursue other targets. 

As said above, best case scenario we agree a years extension with a relatively low release clause (£50/55m) to get us a bit more for him, and for him to earn more in his final year with us. That would surely be good for all parties. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I'm not even trolling, in what world is that interview necessary? We're not exactly a club that holds players prisoner much either.Would've been interesting reaction here if this was Riyad back in the day 

Well he got asked a question and gave an honest answer, as honest as he could without making headlines.

Would prefer he had the integrity to do that and answer a question with a modicum of honesty rather than claim he's here for life and then **** off at the first offer in the summer. We'd all have the knives out for him if he did that.

• Like 1

I think he's terrific but I'm sure he wants to move. The way the top 4 are spending, Champions League isn't likely and you can't blame him for wanting more money if the opportunity arises. Hopefully they can get a fee for him - and most importantly replace him.