Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Youri Tielemans

I said this all though the last window that we need to buy a attacking midfielder, YOURI has been bloody terrible this season, think he may move on in the next window . But we now have a huge problem with youri playing like a busted arse and now ndidi is out for 5-6 weeks we could find ourselves down the wrong end of the table 

16 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Is it just me that thinks he's still been our best midfielder this season by a country mile? He's given the ball away a fair bit but he's still making unbelievable key passes and creating chances. He's certainly not as bad as he was during his slump in 2019/20, its just this time the whole team are struggling whereas a few years ago we were doing well and he was struggling for some reason.

Sadly I think he'll be off in the summer, so will Ricardo and a couple of others. Crucial times at Leicester, it's the end of an short but successful era.

Saints already gift wrapping their right back and centre back for us. :D

• Haha 3

The real problem we have is the Balance of the Squad is wrong. Good players though the are they don't compliment  each other.

Wilf and Cags aside we lack a physical presence, Which makes it easy for some teams to rough us up, WH and Burnley come to mind.

We lack pace and ability to step out from the back with exception of Ricardo or Castagne which tend to be down the line where theirs less space.

The signings of Soumare and Lookman will help address some of the issues but need to settle into the Team.

a Ball carrier with pace in midfield who commits people would also help.

Brendan is trying to fit square pegs into round holes and it only works sometimes.

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Is it just me that thinks he's still been our best midfielder this season by a country mile? He's given the ball away a fair bit but he's still making unbelievable key passes and creating chances. He's certainly not as bad as he was during his slump in 2019/20, its just this time the whole team are struggling whereas a few years ago we were doing well and he was struggling for some reason.

Sadly I think he'll be off in the summer, so will Ricardo and a couple of others. Crucial times at Leicester, it's the end of an short but successful era.

By far. Even in a poor season he's creating and assisting- three in the last three league games.

He's judged to a higher standard, that's all. Most players would want this as poor form.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Youri's been fine, not vintage, but he's still putting in some great offensive passes. It's just that he's judged on a different yardstick to other players, that's why he's got such a low score in the Palace match rating thread. You dont know what you've got until it's gone. Some fans will realise that when he leaves at the end of the season.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, filbertway said:

Nah I agree with this, I think the giving the ball away is a sign of his frustration that when he looks up he very rarely has a forward option showing for him. He's trying to force things at times and nobody seems to be on the same wavelength. The players are so short of confidence and so ingrained into looking for safe passes and only recieving ball when they've got about 10 yards of space now that we're rarely making the brave runs. 

When you're as good as Youri and you're being forced to play this way, it must be absolutely draining and I can't fault him for his mind straying. People are so used to how good he is that he probably looks poor, but by the other players standards, the way he moves, recieves the ball and plays the game is still head and shoulders above anyone else.

As a club, the next 2-3 seasons are absolutely vital. If we can lock ourselves down as a club in and around the top 6, we'll be in such a strong position once the stadium developments are paid for. 

This is why it's not acceptable as a club to just want to avoid relegation. Our targets and expectations are and should be, so much higher. We need to continue to able to show potential players that we're a genuine pathway to a top club as well as being able to offer them european football and challenging the bigger clubs.

The recruitment over the next 5/6 windows is massive for the short and medium term future of the club. It's important we stick to the prinicples that got us here, if we deviate we'll very quickly become a mid table club overpaying a lot of average players.

Sadly true. If we're not careful we could soon have a squad padded out with mediocrity. If we wanted rid of Bertrand, Vestergaard and Perez right now, how many Premiership teams would be busting a gut to get them? In fairness  Bertrand  I could see some sense in as cover and he was free. Yet we get rid of  Praet, Gray and people moan about Thomas and Albrighton. For various reasons, particularly form, I'd still be playing Thomas ahead of Bertrand. 

Forget international football form, Vestergaard's form in the Premiership has been transparent for a long time and was never that impressive. Would an albeit older Cahill as a stop gap on a free been any worse, I know who the better footballer is and who might have been a better influence for Soyuncu. We're now lumbered with a 15m signing on decent wages for several years, like Perez, he ain't going nowhere! Was he like Perez, a Rodgers choice?

If you can't buy better than what you've got in our position now days, don't buy. I'd sooner have gone with a mixture of Benkovic and Nelson than spend 15m and several years of salary on Vestergaard. Could those really have done much worse?

Vestergaard is a slow, seemingly weak for his size, unimpressive in the air, cowardly slow lump with the turning circle of a land-rover, he's been available to view in the showroom for several years so it shouldn't be a surprise. 

• Like 1

If Youri goes and I imagine that's his preference then despite a choice of solid options it doesn't feel like he's taking his best form with him. He may cite that as another reason to leave and wouldn't begrudge him that. Still not convinced he's an elite player. Gets caught in possession and too slow for me. But...he is a technically gifted player and with world class players around him may just hit another level?

Sense the summer will see a number of changes and a defining time for the club.

Edited by Blanchflower78

22 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

He’s been our best forward looking midfielder, but also our worst forward looking midfielder… Since he is the only one in the side at the moment. by his own high standards he has been poor, his second worst spell at the club. With Ndidi out Soumaré is already needed and it’s only really KDH who could cover. Choudhury in one hour put in a better performance than Youri has all season IMO, once you consider what they are supposed to do in their roles.

Again think the system is at least partly to blame though, midfield dropping to try to help the defence makes it harder to get out and that’s a key part of Youri’s role. 

14 hours ago, sm1 said:

Youri's been fine, not vintage, but he's still putting in some great offensive passes. It's just that he's judged on a different yardstick to other players, that's why he's got such a low score in the Palace match rating thread. You dont know what you've got until it's gone. Some fans will realise that when he leaves at the end of the season.

He's got great potential but probably not quite ready for a really big club yet where his career might be stalled by bit part appearances.

I've previously put forward the argument that it really wouldn't hurt his cause to stay here for a couple of more years of regular and influential games however, in fairness to him and his career and clearly not in the best interests of Leicester City, he's probably now seen the limitations of the club under this manager and if I was his agent, I'd be looking for an out for him at a club with at least Champions League football. Rodgers has blown it two years running from great positions, there's nothing whatsoever to suggest that he's going to improve on what he achieved thus far, on the contrary, the chances of us challenging for the top 4 in the foreseeable looks quite remote. The same applies I suggest will be the same for Fofana, Ndidi, Ricardo and Barnes should the latter two get back to form. Had it not been for a new contract, if I was Iheanacho, I'd also be looking for another club too such has been his treatment under Rodgers. 

Soumare and Daka I think have been good typical  Leicester City signings and are the future but, recruitment over the two or three windows will be key. Perhaps sadly, however good it was, our current crop of successful signings and academy products, albeit tantalisingly close, have just fallen short and the better one's will be off. Our recruitment team can do it again I have much faith but, no influence can be afforded by this manager. The chances are he'll be gone one way or another in the next 12-18 months. 

45 minutes ago, Flannel_Fox said:

I always thought Praet was signed to cover Youri in terms of injury or leaving. Could we see Praet return when Youri does leave? 

I can’t see Torino making the deal for Praet permanent to be honest as he would be their 2nd most expensive ever transfer, so I definitely think he will be back here next summer so could be an option

• Like 2

On 05/10/2021 at 00:23, iancognito said:

The last time Youri was this poor he lost his place to Praet in his first full season here. Dennis didn't have his range of passing but he worked bloody hard and right now Youri is drifting through games. But apart from Soumare, there's no real option to replace him.

Then you look back at the results from when praet stepped in for youri and we did worse than we did with youri struggling. Even when he's not at his best he's vital to the team to be honest.

• Like 1

His performances have definitely dropped since the rumours of him looking to leave started. It would be hard for him to say no to Real Madrid but the last time he left on a big move from Anderlecht to Monaco it really didn't work out for him well at all and there is no guarantee that he will play every week there. If he is going to go it's probably best we just try and cut a deal with them at the next window if they are serious as we need to find a replacement and his replacement is going to have to go straight in the team. I think he's absolutely top class when he's on form and his head's in it and would hate to see him go but if it's going to happen it's better for the club we know now that he wants to stay or go, leaving his options open/sitting on the fence is hurting the side now and the club we need to rip the plaster off if he wants out and get scouting.  

Edited by desertfox2
y
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, moore_94 said:

I can’t see Torino making the deal for Praet permanent to be honest as he would be their 2nd most expensive ever transfer, so I definitely think he will be back here next summer so could be an option

Yeah was only a loan with an option to buy wasn't it? Instead of an obligation. If they want to fulfill that option can we say no? 

2 minutes ago, Flannel_Fox said:

Yeah was only a loan with an option to buy wasn't it? Instead of an obligation. If they want to fulfill that option can we say no? 

If they want to use the option to buy there is nothing we can do