Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Youri Tielemans

On 05/10/2021 at 10:28, filbertway said:

Nah I agree with this, I think the giving the ball away is a sign of his frustration that when he looks up he very rarely has a forward option showing for him. He's trying to force things at times and nobody seems to be on the same wavelength. The players are so short of confidence and so ingrained into looking for safe passes and only recieving ball when they've got about 10 yards of space now that we're rarely making the brave runs. 

When you're as good as Youri and you're being forced to play this way, it must be absolutely draining and I can't fault him for his mind straying. People are so used to how good he is that he probably looks poor, but by the other players standards, the way he moves, recieves the ball and plays the game is still head and shoulders above anyone else.

As a club, the next 2-3 seasons are absolutely vital. If we can lock ourselves down as a club in and around the top 6, we'll be in such a strong position once the stadium developments are paid for. 

This is why it's not acceptable as a club to just want to avoid relegation. Our targets and expectations are and should be, so much higher. We need to continue to able to show potential players that we're a genuine pathway to a top club as well as being able to offer them european football and challenging the bigger clubs.

The recruitment over the next 5/6 windows is massive for the short and medium term future of the club. It's important we stick to the prinicples that got us here, if we deviate we'll very quickly become a mid table club overpaying a lot of average players.

And the fact that we have one of the best training facilities in europe 

7 hours ago, jmono84 said:

Still out most creative but this season he looks slow, unfit, well off the pace and very sloppy in possession.

The guy needs a rest in my opinion.

People have been saying this constantly for the last two seasons. He never has been and never will be fast and he has quite a languid running style imo.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JonnyBoy said:

And the fact that we have one of the best training facilities in europe 

Indeed, I just meant having money avaiable purely for signing players and not having to account for a huge chunk being spent on redevelopments.

6 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

How? Hes one of the best rbs in the Prem 😂  If he became available there would be a queue of clubs lining up to take him from all over Europe. 

he was one of the best in the prem. if he can get back to how he was in 2019/2020 then sure they'd be a queue of clubs wanting him.

Guest Chocolate Teapot

Reckon we could see him leave in jan if there's a decent offer. Sounds like there's plenty of interest and cashing in now may make sense.

2 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Reckon we could see him leave in jan if there's a decent offer. Sounds like there's plenty of interest and cashing in now may make sense.

Aye. We can't be letting him go on a free. We ought to still get £30m at least in Jan. Hopefully recoup what we paid if there's a team out there really just want to get it done. He's 24, plenty of miles in tank.

3 minutes ago, Bryn said:

Aye. We can't be letting him go on a free. We ought to still get £30m at least in Jan. Hopefully recoup what we paid if there's a team out there really just want to get it done. He's 24, plenty of miles in tank.

He still got 1 year left when it reaches next summer. The only way I can see him leaving in Jan is if someone comes in with a ridiculous offer (60m plus) 

1 hour ago, Flannel_Fox said:

He still got 1 year left when it reaches next summer. The only way I can see him leaving in Jan is if someone comes in with a ridiculous offer (60m plus) 

I wouldn’t be surprised if we do get a couple of offers, not necessarily that high, but I think a couple of clubs will try and bid in January because they wont want to get into a possible war for him in the summer

1 hour ago, Flannel_Fox said:

Given the way the season is going, I reckon we’d take 45m in jan 

youri is likely to want to delay till the summer so he can take a bigger wedge 

22 hours ago, moore_94 said:

I can’t see Torino making the deal for Praet permanent to be honest as he would be their 2nd most expensive ever transfer, so I definitely think he will be back here next summer so could be an option

No way Praet comes back unless we have a new manager.  That bridge has been burned.

21 hours ago, desertfox2 said:

His performances have definitely dropped since the rumours of him looking to leave started. It would be hard for him to say no to Real Madrid but the last time he left on a big move from Anderlecht to Monaco it really didn't work out for him well at all and there is no guarantee that he will play every week there. If he is going to go it's probably best we just try and cut a deal with them at the next window if they are serious as we need to find a replacement and his replacement is going to have to go straight in the team. I think he's absolutely top class when he's on form and his head's in it and would hate to see him go but if it's going to happen it's better for the club we know now that he wants to stay or go, leaving his options open/sitting on the fence is hurting the side now and the club we need to rip the plaster off if he wants out and get scouting.  

Absolutely, if he's not made his mind up before Christmas, get rid for the best price ASAP. I wouldn't be at all surprised though if the club aren't fully aware of his intentions by now.

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Praet isn't fit to lace his boots, if that's who we end up replacing Youri with then we'll continue our downward spiral. Praet is an efficient player but he will never ever control games like Tielemans has done.

I don't think I've actually ever seen Tielemans control a game, he has great talent for the odd great pass but controlling, not for me yet. That's not a criticism because he's young and those sort of midfielders are quite rare in reality and I suspect, he's also slightly overrated at this point in his career by adoring blue tinted fans. He could be a complete and quite a controlling midfielder in the future but he got quite a long way to go yet. Whether it's Real Madrid, Liverpool or Manchester City, I don't think any of them would view him much higher than a great prospect they can work on. 

• Like 1

Very fine footballer, but way short of De Brunye. He is our best midfielder however so we will have to be lucky to replace him. He can make a lot more money by leaving but he could get a lot of bench time. All in all though , for the good of the club , its time to move on.

13 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I don't think I've actually ever seen Tielemans control a game, he has great talent for the odd great pass but controlling, not for me yet. That's not a criticism because he's young and those sort of midfielders are quite rare in reality and I suspect, he's also slightly overrated at this point in his career by adoring blue tinted fans. He could be a complete and quite a controlling midfielder in the future but he got quite a long way to go yet. Whether it's Real Madrid, Liverpool or Manchester City, I don't think any of them would view him much higher than a great prospect they can work on. 

Watch the quarter final of the FA Cup from last season back, he was unbelievable. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, moore_94 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we do get a couple of offers, not necessarily that high, but I think a couple of clubs will try and bid in January because they wont want to get into a possible war for him in the summer

Then there would be a war in January...if they whoever they are want him...

Just now, fuchsntf said:

Then there would be a war in January...if they whoever they are want him...

Possibly... but I don't think Man Utd would attemp to sign him until whatever happens with Pogba is sorted, and there may be similar situations at other clubs as well meaning they don't go for him until they sell a specific player or something like that

On his current form which is still okay but way below his usual level, I think some clubs will be put off anyway

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Watch the quarter final of the FA Cup from last season back, he was unbelievable. 

I'm sure you're right, please don't take me wrong, I think he's been absolutely superb for us but, on a week to week basis, I think some, at this point in his career, tend to vastly overrate him and his influence (partly because he's different to anything else we have).

I think even here we could get a lot more from him if he was used more in a way to showcase his potentially immense talents. He has the vision for a pass that many others haven't, it's a rare gift. He perhaps isn't the best in a tackle, neither does he possess great pace but neither does he need to either. What he needs is to be played in such a way that his best talents come to the fore.

If you play him essentially in a midfield two with Ndidi against West Ham who will flood the midfield and overrun you for want of an example, then all you will see from Tielemans is a player who, whilst undoubtedly giving of his best, a player nevertheless whose best efforts are concentrated on the weaker parts of his game with very little opportunity to play to his strengths. It's rather like asking a brain surgeon to work on A&E on a Friday night stitching up the drunks.

I don't ever remember for example seeing Pirlo busting a gut all game covering runners and trying to effect last ditch tackles. There were other players in his teams that were better suited to those tasks that afforded him just that little bit more time to do what he did best and it was that Pirlo that could orchestrate and change games.

I maintain that whilst we're hardly the Juventus side of Pirlo's era, or other teams with similarly visionary players, we do have players within our squad to play a more sympathetic formation or system to get the best from him. Again, I think it's more about playing a formation or system (with due regard to the opposition on a particular day), with the right staff if available. Unless you were Barcelona of old, it should never be about sticking slavishly to a singular philosophy. 

Tielemans, for him to develop into the sort of orchestrating force you speak of doesn't necessarily need him to get away from Leicester, he's needs to get away from Rodgers for me for a manager who isn't blinkered and looks at things in a wider context. Sometimes that may mean leaving such a player on the bench if deemed appropriate. Horses for courses, round pegs in round holes wherever possible. 

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Absolutely, if he's not made his mind up before Christmas, get rid for the best price ASAP. I wouldn't be at all surprised though if the club aren't fully aware of his intentions by now.

Exactly, the interview when he said he was leaving his options open, well that suits him, but it's the worst possible thing for the team and club. He had been great for us, up until then, and I would love it if he decided to stay but as you say if he's not made his mind up we are better finding out ASAP so we can start scouting a replacement who is ready to go in to the team right away. I also wouldn't be surprised if the club aren't coming to the same conclusion. Having someone around that isn't fully committed, and he can't be if he is not signing a new contract, is no good for anyone.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, desertfox2 said:

Exactly, the interview when he said he was leaving his options open, well that suits him, but it's the worst possible thing for the team and club. He had been great for us, up until then, and I would love it if he decided to stay but as you say if he's not made his mind up we are better finding out ASAP so we can start scouting a replacement who is ready to go in to the team right away. I also wouldn't be surprised if the club aren't coming to the same conclusion. Having someone around that isn't fully committed, and he can't be if he is not signing a new contract, is no good for anyone.  

All true. At the end of the day in fairness to him, it's not about loyalty, it's about his future and his ambitions and you can't blame him for that. If he could look at us and be convinced that if he stayed for another couple of years with regular football, it could enhance his chances of the 'big' move with regular football there as well rather than playing a bit part, then he might have stayed. However, after two top 4 failures, in the fashion in which it unnecessarily occurred, combined the current situation with a manager who isn't exactly convincing of being able to manage a top 4 team in Europe, even if he had a few more players, then I can't personally blame him for looking elsewhere. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1