Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Youri Tielemans

Just now, Sunbury Fox said:

Says who? The fact that Spurs are doing better than us isn't down to their bang average midfield. They've got zero creativity in there which is why Conte is desperate to make signings. Spurs are ahead of us because they've been able to field a more settled team and are not missing 6 first team defenders like we still are, and it was 7 until Justin returned in the second half tonight. The absence of key players in defence undermines even the best teams as we saw with Liverpool last season. You really think Ndidi, Tielemans and Maddison is not a better CM trio than that Spurs 3 tonight??!!

Spurs won today because of that 'bang average midfield'. With zero creativity they still managed to cut us open time and again. Højbjerg and Skipp were far more aggressive, progressive and accurate than Tielemans.

Maddison is so light-weight I don't even consider him a midfielder - his best performances this season have come from dropping off the front. KDH - the jury is still out on him despite his impressive start with us.

Soumaré is proper Jeckyll and Hyde and Ndidi has been indifferent at best this season. He's imperious at recovering the ball when he's on it, but he has been off form for the best part of a year now and is so so prone to fouling in the area.

Individually, I think our midfield has a higher peak level, but collectively we couldn't match Spurs today and are miles behind in the table now as well. It's disingenuous to suggest our midfield is better.

2 minutes ago, shen said:

Spurs won today because of that 'bang average midfield'. With zero creativity they still managed to cut us open time and again. Højbjerg and Skipp were far more aggressive, progressive and accurate than Tielemans.

Maddison is so light-weight I don't even consider him a midfielder - his best performances this season have come from dropping off the front. KDH - the jury is still out on him despite his impressive start with us.

Soumaré is proper Jeckyll and Hyde and Ndidi has been indifferent at best this season. He's imperious at recovering the ball when he's on it, but he has been off form for the best part of a year now and is so so prone to fouling in the area.

Individually, I think our midfield has a higher peak level, but collectively we couldn't match Spurs today and are miles behind in the table now as well. It's disingenuous to suggest our midfield is better.

lol

Maddison and Tielemans both have more goals and assists in their last 5 games than Hojbjerg, Skipp and Winks have in their entire careers - combined!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lambert09 said:

Have to agree with this. Doesn’t look like his hearts in it at all. 

The fact the thought that his agent has told him to play bad to lower our asking price even crossed my mind paints the picture of how bad he was. 

I miss our youri 

He's got quite an expressionless face. That coupled with the fact he's very slow and unathletic can often lead people to think he's not trying, or his heart is not in it. Which I don't think is the case. He's always had the odd stinker. Tonight's performance shouldn't really surprise anyone.

4 minutes ago, Hamilton Fox said:

You would swap their midfield 3 for ours? No chance. I tell you what if you offered to swap 90% of spurs fans would take that in a heartbeat. They were better today As our main midfielder was atrocious - that can happen in a one off game

That's not what I am saying though. I am saying their midfield is better than ours this season, which judging by performances it really is :dunno:

6 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

He's got quite an expressionless face. That coupled with the fact he's very slow and unathletic can often lead people to think he's not trying, or his heart is not in it. Which I don't think is the case. He's always had the odd stinker. Tonight's performance shouldn't really surprise anyone.

I honestly don’t know. Man city made me wonder what was going on with him a little. Today there were moments that just seemed effortless. It could be poor form, bad luck, bad judgement ...or it could be that he knows he won’t be here much longer and his focus has just completely gone. 

1 minute ago, Lambert09 said:

I honestly don’t know. Man city made me wonder what was going on with him a little. Today there were moments that just seemed effortless. It could be poor form, bad luck, bad judgement ...or it could be that he knows he won’t be here much longer and his focus has just completely gone. 

I could be wrong, but he just doesn't seem like the kind of character who would mail it in.

2 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

lol

Maddison and Tielemans both have more goals and assists in their last 5 games than Hojbjerg, Skipp and Winks have in their entire careers - combined!

You clearly don't get my point. If we are where we are this season it's because we cannot defend. Yes, our defenders have been poor, but they've been exposed all season by the average/poor job our strikers and midfield in particular have done protecting them.

And it's just weird comparing Maddison's stats to those three when he's more a forward type of player and has played off the striker for the majority of this season.

We all say ‘he walks into most midfields in the world’ but where do people genuinely see him going? 

We know better than anyone he’s better when he’s constantly in a rhythm and continuously playing games, so joining a team like Man City where he’s constantly in and out might hinder his performances as you seen how rusty he was tonight, although I suppose he would be playing with better players week in and week out …..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wardyfox86 said:

It's 1 game, the guy runs the midfield every other game. Allow him this 1 without suggesting his head is turned. 

....to be honest he does it a lot, it won't be the last time he puts the defence in the cart, it was just this time they scored!!!

For someone with his vision and skillset, you do not expect to see such poor quality manifest itself in his game, but it has a tendency to come to the fore. He has not hit the levels which we know he can, there are moments in games where he is sublime but his inconsistency is going to prove to be his downfall (prevents him going to the next level). Having KDH alongside in the middle, should have been a blessing for him, but until we have our full squad available, we are not going to use him in a manner where, Ndidi, KDH and Youri can underpin this team, and everything else flows from that.

• Like 2

Let’s be honest here he was useless today , he was slow , his passing was woeful. And it’s not the 1st time he has gone missing , we will be lucky to get 20 million for him , on that effort . The bloke looks like he is ready to leave now . And people say we don’t need a bloke like Erickson , he would have been great to bring on , when YOURI went missing . 

It’s a fantasy that Youri could walk onto any side in the world.  He’s a superb player but one level below truly elite.  He doesn’t bring physicality (not his fault, it just is) - he’s slow and not especially strong.  He has too many games where he’s AWOL.  He seems to run down late in games a lot, and is prone to the occasional defensive howler.

A squad player anywhere?  For sure.  If he wants to be a locked-in starter, current Arsenal is probably about his level.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

That's such a fashionable comment. Praise the twinkle toes. But hey are not the same player at all. One is the conductor. The other swans about, doing markedly less graft, but with the space afforded to him by others work. You simply can't compare their contributions through a like for like lens.

Tielemans has been bigged up consistently since he came here. He's sloppy and has been longer than just this season, but he's making a bad habit of it now.

Maddison is the exceptional player of the two - more involved and more influential. His ability in holding and screening the ball outweighs Tielemans'. He can work his way into spaces - and consistently finds shooting opportunities or provides the same for team mates.

I don't believe Your I will attract the high level suitors a lot of fans envisage - they're looking for consistency and I don't believe he is capable of it at this time.

24 minutes ago, Bptiger said:

Let’s be honest here he was useless today , he was slow , his passing was woeful. And it’s not the 1st time he has gone missing , we will be lucky to get 20 million for him , on that effort . The bloke looks like he is ready to leave now . And people say we don’t need a bloke like Erickson , he would have been great to bring on , when YOURI went missing . 

Not sure how Sven is gonna help now mate

Are we seeing the Tielemans that the Monaco fans saw? They thought he wasn't good enough and wanted him out. He came here and was a revelation.

Is it as some have thought, that his head has been turned and thoughts are elsewhere. 

Yes, I would love it if he signed a new contract and got his form back, but we all know that wont happen

• Like 1

Guest bennytwohats
7 hours ago, gerblod said:

Tielemans has been bigged up consistently since he came here. He's sloppy and has been longer than just this season, but he's making a bad habit of it now.

Maddison is the exceptional player of the two - more involved and more influential. His ability in holding and screening the ball outweighs Tielemans'. He can work his way into spaces - and consistently finds shooting opportunities or provides the same for team mates.

I don't believe Your I will attract the high level suitors a lot of fans envisage - they're looking for consistency and I don't believe he is capable of it at this time.

This epitomises the recency bias on this forum. Maddison is in sumptuous form and Youri had a howler last night. Go back 3 months and you’d have been laughed off the forum for this post.

8 minutes ago, WestLothianFox said:

Are we seeing the Tielemans that the Monaco fans saw? They thought he wasn't good enough and wanted him out. He came here and was a revelation.

Is it as some have thought, that his head has been turned and thoughts are elsewhere. 

Yes, I would love it if he signed a new contract and got his form back, but we all know that wont happen

He's almost undroppable now as we need the best price for him. 

Appreciate is was a makeshift crappy Watford side, but he was pretty decent in that FA cup game. I think he is at his best when he can boss the game. He's not a grafter and yesterday it was a scrappy game in midfield. Not in his best form for sure but im finding all the 'just go' posts strange. 

He was woeful yesterday and does occasionally go missing, but can't help but feel the contract situation and the fact we all know with a degree of certainty how that will end is having a major impact on people's perception of him. He's not at his brilliant best lately but he's been solid as a rock over the majority of the season and having an abysmal game last night or looking for a new club doesn't alter that. 

• Like 1