Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Youri Tielemans

Lets not pillor him to death guys. Youre is man enough to put his hands up and apologize at the end at least he acknowledged he F'd up. He is magical on his day and very human on other days. He does have this flaw in him to play a risky pass its just never been that fatal until last nite. This will haunt him as it should but I hope he pulls his socks up now and makes amends in our next games. We don't want him to go into his shell either as thats no good. Rogers needs to get our backbone back into this side. We should never be this weak in mind and body EVER again!

12 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

It’s a fantasy that Youri could walk onto any side in the world.  He’s a superb player but one level below truly elite.  He doesn’t bring physicality (not his fault, it just is) - he’s slow and not especially strong.  He has too many games where he’s AWOL.  He seems to run down late in games a lot, and is prone to the occasional defensive howler.

A squad player anywhere?  For sure.  If he wants to be a locked-in starter, current Arsenal is probably about his level.

Depends - I think if you put that physicality alongside him, he can play to a level which is elite. He needs some legs and workrate alongside him. 

Last night reminded me a lot of his spell in his first season which eventually led to him being dropped for the last PL game before lockdown. The biggest factor for that run of form being Wilf injured. 

3 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Some massive overreactions in this thread. He was poor last night and not been at his best all season but it was only a couple of weeks ago when people were praising his attitude because he was celebrating winning a throw in

I know that's meant as a compliment, but it's at a level of straw-clutching/damning with faint praise that could almost be described as an overreaction in itself.

If anything it amplifies the problem this season. Not that it would be ideal if there had been a noticable attitude issue, but at least it would explain the generally average form from him, and perhaps suggest a solution. But I've not seen anything to suggest it is - he certainly still seem happy/sad in all the right places

As others have mentioned he's not good 'under pressure' and perhaps he's been specifically targetted - he is an ideal target for a DM. Or perhaps it's just a general result of most games now being pell-mell/tight in midfield, combined with this season's increased leniency in terms of fouling. It only seems to be in games where the oppo midfield aren't 'on it' (e.g. Man U, Watford) where the Youri we've come to love comes to the fore. Otherwise, he's somewhere between pretty poor or 'solid'. While Maddison (who seemed to struggle early on this season with his 'fall down if you're touched' tactic no longer working) has managed to largely return to his twisty-turn former self, Youri hasn't.

I don't understand the 'massive overreaction' comment in general tbh. AFAICS there are people saying pretty much what you said yourself - 'he was poor last night and not been at his best all season' balanced by those claiming it's a blip, not a season-long issue*, with a by now comically liberal sprinkling of the usual 'rusty/tired/heads turned/surrounded by dross' excuses which no other player (and I include Vards in that) can count on. Your call as to how deserved that is this far into the season. I do know it will be back to the 'world class/too good for us' stuff the next time he has a good game, however many average ones there are between it and the previous one.

*it has though, hasn't it?

5 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Depends - I think if you put that physicality alongside him, he can play to a level which is elite. He needs some legs and workrate alongside him. 

Last night reminded me a lot of his spell in his first season which eventually led to him being dropped for the last PL game before lockdown. The biggest factor for that run of form being Wilf injured. 

It would appear the 'physicality alongside him' needs to be at an elite level too. It certainly hasn't been this season, even when Wilf's been playing, thanks to the latter's less that stellar form.

Maddison's recent resurgence and KDH's emergence have been bright spots in what's otherwise been a pretty pants 6 months for our midfield.

Edited by turtmcfly

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

I stand by what I said other week in the fact I hope we have a buy back clause because I don't think this big move will be as plain sailing as others think. 

Buy back clauses only really work for the rich clubs don't they, because theoretically they can afford to let someone go on the cheap and buy them back for more later on if they want too. Additionally a bigger club isn't going to insert a clause in to his contract saying he can come back for x amount, such a clause wouldn't benefit us anyway, why would we want to pay more than we sold him for if the move hasn't worked out.

16 hours ago, gerblod said:

Tielemans has been bigged up consistently since he came here. He's sloppy and has been longer than just this season, but he's making a bad habit of it now.

Maddison is the exceptional player of the two - more involved and more influential. His ability in holding and screening the ball outweighs Tielemans'. He can work his way into spaces - and consistently finds shooting opportunities or provides the same for team mates.

I don't believe Your I will attract the high level suitors a lot of fans envisage - they're looking for consistency and I don't believe he is capable of it at this time.

Was shot down when I suggested losing Maddison would be a bigger miss than Tilemans . Always be an icon for his F A Cup winning goal but who does not influence games on a regular basis. Know who I would prefer to stay.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, bennytwohats said:

This epitomises the recency bias on this forum. Maddison is in sumptuous form and Youri had a howler last night. Go back 3 months and you’d have been laughed off the forum for this post.

It ever fascinates me how individuals (like yourself) can assemble a ghost army of like-minded posters - at your command, naturally, in an attempt to bolster what is solely your take on my opinion.

When you're able to muster more than zero 'likes' for your assertion, then I might run for cover from the howls of derision that could assail me. Until then I'll reassert that Tielemans is, for whatever reason, prone to lapses of concentration in his passing in potentially calamitous situations and has been since he arrived at City.

As for Maddison, I would strongly maintain that his difficulties in presenting his 'sumptuosity' heretofore had been because of a nagging injury emanating from his hip and the muscles inserting therein - and not focus.

"Recency" - apposite word for the ebb and flow of opinion on this forum. I'll use it - when appropriate.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jerry said:

Was shot down when I suggested losing Maddison would be a bigger miss than Tilemans . Always be an icon for his F A Cup winning goal but who does not influence games on a regular basis. Know who I would prefer to stay.

Cheers for that. Criticise Tielemans for justifiable reasons and it's like you've committed blasphemy. Maddison is more valuable to the team and I believe he's more committed to it.

• Like 1

Guest bennytwohats
14 minutes ago, gerblod said:

It ever fascinates me how individuals (like yourself) can assemble a ghost army of like-minded posters - at your command, naturally, in an attempt to bolster what is solely your take on my opinion.

When you're able to muster more than zero 'likes' for your assertion, then I might run for cover from the howls of derision that could assail me. Until then I'll reassert that Tielemans is, for whatever reason, prone to lapses of concentration in his passing in potentially calamitous situations and has been since he arrived at City.

As for Maddison, I would strongly maintain that his difficulties in presenting his 'sumptuosity' heretofore had been because of a nagging injury emanating from his hip and the muscles inserting therein - and not focus.

"Recency" - apposite word for the ebb and flow of opinion on this forum. I'll use it - when appropriate.

That’s one way of putting it. Another is fickle.

Funny you deride the ‘army of likeminded posters’ then go on to dismiss me because of zero likes. It’s a strange way to measure what someone else is saying, but do you.

My point is that it’s an easy point to level at this point in time, but if you extend your time horizon back over the past few months, even past couple of seasons, your view simply doesn’t pass muster. To me they are the kinds of views one should question before putting all their weight behind, but again, do you. We will have to agree to disagree, which is perfectly fine.

16 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Being able to play at an elite level when circumstances are perfect doesn’t make someone an elite player.

13 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Being able to play at an elite level when circumstances are perfect doesn’t make someone an elite player.

Then you can the amount of your definition of elite players on one hand in the world. All the worlds top players are ably supported by their team mates. One of the beauty’s of football is that it’s not a perfect science when it comes to improving players and building a team to get the best out of those players. 

3 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Then you can the amount of your definition of elite players on one hand in the world. All the worlds top players are ably supported by their team mates. One of the beauty’s of football is that it’s not a perfect science when it comes to improving players and building a team to get the best out of those players. 

Maradonna and messi (and was he ever playing in a crappy team) spring to mind ……. Any more ?? 

12 hours ago, jerry said:

Maddison has gone through patches when not influencing games as well. He needs consistency to his game as much as Tielemans does. I'd rather not lose either, obviously.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Maradonna and messi (and was he ever playing in a crappy team) spring to mind ……. Any more ?? 

Exactly my thoughts.

If you count say the three at the moment most would call the worlds best. 

Lewandowski - ably supported by a brilliant midfield 

Ronaldo - well this spell at Man U and his latter time at Juve tells us he needs support 

Messi - despite the wealth of talent at PSG it’s not clicking the same extent as it did when at Barca, he had a team built around him 

Even when you consider the best of the PL. De Brunye, it fell to pieces in the recent CL final without an adequate midfield anchor. 

Highlights how much of a genius Maradona was. In particular at Italia 90. (And at spells Vardy)

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

Take off the rose-colored glasses and ask yourself honestly - how often has Tielemans really been elite?  When he has Ndidi, when he has the right opponent, when he has enough rest, when he's not distracted...  And how often has he been mediocre - or worse - when things aren't just so?

The question isn't whether he's a lovely footballer and human being or whether we need him (or someone who does what he does), it's whether he's good enough to laugh at joining Arsenal and walk onto the starting 11 of any club he chooses.  He's not, but pointing that out seems to be taken by some as "vitriol".