Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Youri Tielemans

My son said he should be considered as one of the players of the season. No! He doesn’t perform consistently, against West Ham he wasn’t interested at all first half. Looked livelier last night at Burnley but for me doesn’t do it  often enough and can be bossed out of a game. 

• Like 1

He's a very good player in my view. Definitely not world class currently. For that in my opinion you need to single handedly be able to change the course of a game against other elite players on a consistent basis. Whilst he has the talent I think his physical shortcomings will hold him back from achieving that status. 

He'll be a huge loss to us though when he does go as we'll struggle to pick up a player of his quality for the fee we'll receive. Apart from Man City I can't really see him fitting into any of the big 6 sides, and even at Man City he'd end up like Mahrez effectively being a bit part player whose only really rolled out against the lesser sides in the league to preserve the legs of KDB. Whether he's happy to settle for that and they'd be interested I don't know. 

Best move for everyone would be him heading abroad but I'm not sure how many clubs abroad could afford him so I'll be intrigued to see where he eventually ends up.

Having said the above if his intention is to leave, the club absolutely need to do everything possible to secure him a transfer away this summer. If not, as big a loss as it'd be I'd want him dropping from the squad for the last year of his contract. No point keeping a player in and around the 1st team who is going to be a negative influence in the changing room nor giving him a platform to maintain peak condition ahead of a move away. 

Edited by ian__marshall
  • Like 1

I thought he was a revelation when he first came as he was the kind of midfielder we'd been missing for a while. He could pass the ball into space rather than at the player and had the vision that we'd been lacking.

I still think he's underestimated sometimes. He can lose possession because he's trying something that other players wouldn't even see. He's also got a good eye for goal when on form. 

There are a few "buts". He does need runners around him and can drift out of a game when the going gets tough. When he's off form he's neither creative, destructive or energetic. 

I don't want him to go, but it's really a case of whether we could replace him well. He's not unique like Vardy, Mahrez or Kante and could be replaced if we get the recruitment right. My fear of losing him is as much about our recent record in the transfer market as it is about Youri himself. 

Edited by Jobyfox

6 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

How many genuinely world class players in the prem? 

Alison

Ederson

Van Dijk

De Bruyne

Kante

Kane

Salah

Vardy

Ronaldo isn't anymore, trent, silva, mahrez and a few others close behind but for me those listed are genuinely world class players because they'd walk in to any team on the planet. 

Fabinho, bernardo silva, cancelo, ruben dias, alexander arnold, rodri, son?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OllieLodge96 said:

Boggles my mind that anyone can think Youri isn't world class... Just because he's moving on people have turned against him. Embarrassing

If you truly think Tielemans is world class, you must have a very low bar. He's not even worth a place in our starting 11 over the last few games yet let alone teams like Manchester City, Liverpool,  Bayern Munich and PSG etc.

I do like him but he's got a long way to go and I wish him well. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, He aint bald said:

I watched his 1st season on a laptop in low resolution. Youri was almost invisible, an indistinct figure in midfield. Only since getting a whopping 21 Inch TV have I appreciated the hype on here.

He does work hard but he tackles like he has his eyes shut . The ball needs to come to him. 

I suspect he is still hungry. Perhaps the plan is to become a free agent and get a multi million signing on fee elsewhere. A good insurance policy, keep a good attitude and try to earn a place in the team during that last season..   just how my mind works

Haha honestly I think it feels like some of the forum have this problem. 

Why can’t people understand that form fluctuates. 

In in general the dip he had in that first season was largely down to the squads drop off. If we don’t have willing options he struggles. He is an incredibly intelligent player, but he does struggle when he is pressed by mobile strong players, he gets dispossessed in bad areas a little too often. But the issue largely comes from the fact that he always makes himself available and at times others don’t. If he was surrounded with like minded players he would always be lethal but in the kindness possible way, when his closest player is often wilf it makes his job all that bit harder.

i don’t think that’s the problem this season. I genuinely think his heads just not in it. But he is a quality player and he is professional I just think at premier league level you either bust a gut for everything or you will be punished and that’s where we are. He’s just not giving the extra 10% needed. 

8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Whoscored have him down as our best performing player this season 😂😂

They also have Soyuncu as one of our top rated players and have Alain Saint-Maxamin ahead of Jota in their team of the season. I can’t believe someone as knowledgeable as yourself actually uses who scored ratings!

They heavily Wright 2 or 3 stars (they’re often mockingly called “who dribbled” (hence why players like ASM and Adana Traore always get bizarrely high ratings) and provide zero context for when or how a player influences a game or their off the ball play.

Giving a player a rating by stats for a game is always going to be massively flawed and the way you weight every stat can also lead to a single player being a sides best player or worst player or anything in between.

Communal Ratings based on humans who’ve actually watched the games are still going to be flawed but still infinitely better. I think the FoxesTalk ratings having Tielemans as our 17th best player this season are much more accurate.

Sureky you don’t genuinely believe Tielemans has been better than Vardy and Maddison this season?

Edited by Sampson

5 hours ago, honeybradger said:

Fabinho, bernardo silva, cancelo, ruben dias, alexander arnold, rodri, son?

I'd argue that 'world class' players would have a consistently positive impact on any team in the world. For that reason, as much as I like him as a player, I wouldn't include TAA in that discussion. He is very good, don't get me wrong, but it works at Liverpool because of the players around him covering for his defensive deficiencies. Why doesn't he get picked regularly for England? (aside from Southgate's player 'blind spots' 😄) Probably because, without a solid base of Matip and van Dijk backing him up and compensating, he can be a weak link defensively.

Fwiw, this why I've never bought into the hype about Sterling. Put Salah, for example, in Norwich's team and you'll see a difference. Put Sterling in and he'd be a passenger.

10 hours ago, weller54 said:

Don't World class players have to have won something?

There’s a whole list of players even from our title winning squad that don’t come anywhere near world class… 

Yeah I wish Leicester fans would stop with this “world class” nonsense with Tielemans, he’s a very good player on his game, if a little streaky, but saying he’s world class is putting him on the same level as Salah and De Bruyne. Which he’s obviously nowhere near being even close to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

They also have Soyuncu as one of our top rated players and have Alain Saint-Maxamin ahead of Jota in their team of the season. I can’t believe someone as knowledgeable as yourself actually uses who scored ratings!

They heavily Wright 2 or 3 stars (they’re often mockingly called “who dribbled” (hence why players like ASM and Adana Traore always get bizarrely high ratings) and provide zero context for when or how a player influences a game or their off the ball play.

Giving a player a rating by stats for a game is always going to be massively flawed and the way you weight every stat can also lead to a single player being a sides best player or worst player or anything in between.

Communal Ratings based on humans who’ve actually watched the games are still going to be flawed but still infinitely better. I think the FoxesTalk ratings having Tielemans as our 17th best player this season are much more accurate.

Sureky you don’t genuinely believe Tielemans has been better than Vardy and Maddison this season?

It was a joke, whoscored is only good for picking out certain key attributes. The reason why players like Tielemans score so highly even when having a poor season is that his skill set still sees him produce very progressive passes. Its his involvement in goals where he tends not to be the assister but the one who ripped the team apart to create it, like the Lookman goal vs Wolves that makes him show up well.

That's the problem with stats though, his stats this season in certain areas aren't worse or by much than last season which he was arguably our best player.

2 hours ago, Sampson said:

....Vardy has missed a big chunk of this season and Maddison has just recently come back to form!!!

Tielemans inconsistency is his downfall, but the team has been poor all season. 

you'd think someone who made the big moved and flopped, big time once already would realise that being a star in a team challenging, or at least meant to be challenging, for Europe is better then being a bench player at a so called bigger club, his form this season isn't deserving of a place in our team let alone one the big boys

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sly said:

I think the perception of Tielemans is warped, by what people expect of him. 

He can have a bad game by his standards, however still create that bit of magic that very few in our squad can. 

A poor Youri Tielemans, will offer more to our team than many expect. 

Exactly, don't forget as well that Tielemans is going to be seen as playing much better when those around him are playing better. In some ways I think he was worse in 2019/20 as the team on the whole were playing well and getting results and yet his standard wasn't as good as we'd seen in the latter part of 2018/19. This season, certainly the 1st part of it I felt he was one of our better players but he was getting slated for not being as good as last year but I think that's more because the team are struggling. Recently he's looked crap though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Haha honestly I think it feels like some of the forum have this problem. 

Why can’t people understand that form fluctuates. 

In in general the dip he had in that first season was largely down to the squads drop off. If we don’t have willing options he struggles. He is an incredibly intelligent player, but he does struggle when he is pressed by mobile strong players, he gets dispossessed in bad areas a little too often. But the issue largely comes from the fact that he always makes himself available and at times others don’t. If he was surrounded with like minded players he would always be lethal but in the kindness possible way, when his closest player is often wilf it makes his job all that bit harder.

i don’t think that’s the problem this season. I genuinely think his heads just not in it. But he is a quality player and he is professional I just think at premier league level you either bust a gut for everything or you will be punished and that’s where we are. He’s just not giving the extra 10% needed. 

I was alluding to his fluctulating form and the reasons why but wasn´t explicit enough, was thinking more about the free agent thing

I agree with your.first paragraph.

The 2nd paragraph, The best this armchair squinter can manage is a whispered....... i think he is trying his best

4 hours ago, Jimmy said:

you'd think someone who made the big moved and flopped, big time once already would realise that being a star in a team challenging, or at least meant to be challenging, for Europe is better then being a bench player at a so called bigger club, his form this season isn't deserving of a place in our team let alone one the big boys

He believes in his own ability, I wager. But Youri is no idiot. The money we have on the table for him isn't bad; if his form this season isn't going to earn him the super big bucks with a new team, it might be worth it to sign an extension and make himself worth a record fee next summer.

That being said, I can't see him not going this summer.

On 02/03/2022 at 18:14, PAPA LAZAROU said:

Well we will see if the rest of football think he's world class by the size of the fee we get for him. ( I think you will be in for a surprise that it won't be anywhere near what a world class player costs )

Like Kante going for 30m and Maguire for 80m? 

We all know we may not even make any money on him because ofhis co tract situation. 

I don't think he's world class, but that's such a bad metric to judge a footballer on. Generally speaking yes the more expensive the better the player, but individually speaking its a crapshoot. Fees are so dependent on factors not related to their talent.