Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Youri Tielemans

The thing with Tielemans is that when he’s bad, he stinks the place out. At his best he is right up there but compared to players like Veratti, Kroos, etc he lacks consistency. This IMO will cost him when he moves because someone like Pep or Klopp won’t tolerate those sort of appearances. 

Problem for us is that we are too reliant on him and Maddison. I often know what type of game we’ll have based on Youri’s first 15 minutes. If he’s playing the beautiful passes, we do great. If he has a day like today when he can’t pass wind it will invariably be a bad day in the office. 

It’s also a shame Soumare has struggled because we need someone else to push him for his place. KDH is great and had a good first half but is not yet someone that can single handed run the game. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, majaco said:

Tielemans is a fantastic player. He is off-form.  I fear he is going to become the latest scapegoat.

People wanted Maddison gone last summer.  Some have pointed out why Barnes is rubbish.  Lookman is not good enough to sign permanently some say.  Schmeichel needs moving on is a view.   Etc.

We are lucky to have Tielemans.  We will miss him when he goes.

I'll miss him and wish him well, but the amount I'll miss him by will be inversely proportional to the quality of whoever we spend his transfer money on. It's a huge shame Soumare hasn't done well, but if he had I think we'd be looking at Youri descending into semi-irrelevancy. A fit Maddison and he's on the bench on Thursday. 

No Leicester player has been given as much of a pass as Youri during his poor runs here. This forum is full of people making the same three excuses for him (he's rusty/he's tired/his heart/head's not in it) . It's only recently the excuses have receded, and even now I'm not seeing many people actively claiming they want him gone. 

As for the 'off form' comment... He's been 'off form' for most of the season, and it's not the first extended period with us that it's happened. Add in his time with Monaco, and you have an apparently 'fantastic player' who's been off form for quite a lot of the last 5 years.

And yet some posters on here still insist he's world class player. He's not and never will be. World class players stand out in just abut every game they play in and can be relied on to be consistent and leaders on the pitch.  He's a very long way from being any of those things.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PAPA LAZAROU said:

And yet some posters on here still insist he's world class player. He's not and never will be. World class players stand out in just abut every game they play in and can be relied on to be consistent and leaders on the pitch.  He's a very long way from being any of those things.

Inclined to agree.

He stands out at Leicester when he’s on form. Put him in one of the top 4 and he’ll hardly be noticed. I have to admit, I wasn’t too impressed with him today either.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, majaco said:

Tielemans is a fantastic player. He is off-form.  I fear he is going to become the latest scapegoat.

People wanted Maddison gone last summer.  Some have pointed out why Barnes is rubbish.  Lookman is not good enough to sign permanently some say.  Schmeichel needs moving on is a view.   Etc.

We are lucky to have Tielemans.  We will miss him when he goes.

....not so much off form, we have seen this all throughout his time here!!!

He can be sublime or be very poor and it is hard to understand the fluctuation in his performances, as it is not from game to game as opposed to in game performances. Someone with his passing ability should not be giving the ball away so often.

Let’s look to a future, he’s done brilliantly for us and has given us some great moments. Hopefully he can have a strong end to the season and leaves in the summer for a decent fee. We will move on but shouldn’t downplay the massive effort he has contributed to recent successes.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Let’s look to a future, he’s done brilliantly for us and has given us some great moments. Hopefully he can have a strong end to the season and leaves in the summer for a decent fee. We will move on but shouldn’t downplay the massive effort he has contributed to recent successes.

I'm not too sure we will miss him much. When you think of the players who ranked around the top performing of the players that we have missed; Kante and Mahrez. Neither has really been replaced, probably because they were both unique footballers. 

Then we have had the ones languishing way down in the player ratings in their final season with us that we haven't really fallen apart over, suffered grief on match days. I'm thinking Drinkwater, he had a really poor last 2/3 of his final season. Maguire to, he wasn't rated highly in his final season. There was Chilwell to, almost bottom of the player appreciation when he left. I really think Tielemans will be in this group of great players on their day and thanks for the time here, but sometimes its best to just say goodbye.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

The thing with Tielemans is that when he’s bad, he stinks the place out. At his best he is right up there but compared to players like Veratti, Kroos, etc he lacks consistency. This IMO will cost him when he moves because someone like Pep or Klopp won’t tolerate those sort of appearances. 

Problem for us is that we are too reliant on him and Maddison. I often know what type of game we’ll have based on Youri’s first 15 minutes. If he’s playing the beautiful passes, we do great. If he has a day like today when he can’t pass wind it will invariably be a bad day in the office. 

It’s also a shame Soumare has struggled because we need someone else to push him for his place. KDH is great and had a good first half but is not yet someone that can single handed run the game. 

You know more about tactics than me, but thought part of the problem today was Leeds doubled up and sometimes even tripled up on Youri quite frequently, especially throughout that first half.

I think they were happy letting KDH have the ball more as they believe he won’t hurt them as much (only the one assist in the league so far) and concentrating on getting to Youri as quickly as possible. That obviously wouldn’t happen as much with Maddison in the side.

Edited by when_you're_smiling

Probably the right time to cash in on Youri now that he won't put pen to paper. Been average for a while now given his ability. We are better placed to cover his loss now that KDH is established. Fabian Ruiz is in the same contract situation as Youri and would be a tip top repacement in my opinion. 

4 minutes ago, Bazly said:

I'm not too sure we will miss him much. When you think of the players who ranked around the top performing of the players that we have missed; Kante and Mahrez. Neither has really been replaced, probably because they were both unique footballers. 

Then we have had the ones languishing way down in the player ratings in their final season with us that we haven't really fallen apart over, suffered grief on match days. I'm thinking Drinkwater, he had a really poor last 2/3 of his final season. Maguire to, he wasn't rated highly in his final season. There was Chilwell to, almost bottom of the player appreciation when he left. I really think Tielemans will be in this group of great players on their day and thanks for the time here, but sometimes its best to just say goodbye.

I think N’Didi would have something to say about that. 

We’ll miss him no doubt but I think the emergence of KDH & Maddison getting some form back has given us a glimpse of life without Youri and it isn’t necessarily worse just ‘different’

• Like 1

He was man to manned by Koch today who was on him every time he went near the ball. Koch was like a modern day Kaamark, literally sprinting to find him whenever Leicester took possession. Later on as Leeds tired, Youri got more space but perhaps he was that rattled by being tightly marked that his decision making had gone to pot. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

You know more about tactics than me, but thought part of the problem today was Leeds doubled up and sometimes even tripled up on Youri quite frequently, especially throughout that third half.

I think they were happy letting KDH have the ball more as they believe he won’t hurt them as much (only the one assist in the league so far) and concentrating on getting to Youri as quickly as possible. That obviously wouldn’t happen as much with Maddison in the side.

At his best, Tielemans is able to pass his way out of trouble. 

For all my criticism, he’s one of my favourite players. Even before the FA Cup thunderbolt I loved to watch him play. He makes the game look so easy to play at times. 

But there’s a reason why he ended up at Leicester- because he’s inconsistent as seen at Monaco and even for Belgium. Last season I thought he was a lot more consistent and truly deserved POTY. This season it’s clear his mind is elsewhere and reminds me of Mahrez in that way. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Poor today again, although I don't think he was helped by being the right sided number 8 and trying to link with Hamza and Albrighton, who are two of our weaker players on the ball. He's much better with Ricardo there who is much more on his wavelength.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

He was man to manned by Koch today who was on him every time he went near the ball. Koch was like a modern day Kaamark, literally sprinting to find him whenever Leicester took possession. Later on as Leeds tired, Youri got more space but perhaps he was that rattled by being tightly marked that his decision making had gone to pot. 

Better get used to it. Clubs with deeper squads won't accept the inconsistency that we see here. Does help him when Maddison is on the pitch though. Having quality around you does help.

1 minute ago, SO1 said:

Better get used to it. Clubs with deeper squads won't accept the inconsistency that we see here. Does help him when Maddison is on the pitch though. Having quality around you does help.

Having Lookman on the pitch helps him as well.