Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Youri Tielemans

The reason he's off form is that he's playing in a wider central midfield. He has played his best games for us next to Ndidi and has genuinely looked world class there at times. 

Brendan isn't currently playing to his strengths. Most of the top teams do play 433 though so it would be interesting to see how he gets on in a similar position there.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ousefox said:

The reason he's off form is that he's playing in a wider central midfield. He has played his best games for us next to Ndidi and has genuinely looked world class there at times. 

Brendan isn't currently playing to his strengths. Most of the top teams do play 433 though so it would be interesting to see how he gets on in a similar position there.

Same old "it's the system not the player" excuses that no other player is afforded.

If he can't play in a 4-3-3 then he's definitely not going to have a career at that level as the majority of top teams play that these days. 4-3-2-1 has died out in most of the top sides,

Edited by Sampson

11 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Well that’s the problem. If there’s little enthusiasm we’re like to get bugger all. He may then go on to step up and have a great career at a bigger club or crash and burn being sidelined as a benchwarmer like Danny D.

...why would Youri being sold at a discounted price, cause a lack of interest!!!

Is the theory akin to selling the Mona Lisa at the clock tower for £50, because it would be see as not good value, because people would think it to be a fake and show no interest?

There will be a host of clubs  vying for his signature, as running down his contract brings almost every club into the price matrix.

It is either him or Madders to go next season and his performances are not endearing anyone to entreat him to stay. 

You can't blame Drinkwater for taking a chance, it is what has happened since that causes greater concern.  I hope he is seeking some kind of professional help, as it seems clear their are mental factors in play, and he should be addressing this, as it affects people around him also.

15 minutes ago, ousefox said:

...in a 4-3-3 as the "controller" he doesn't have to play wide!!!

With Ndid central, infront of the backline, you then have a triangle where Youri  and KDH makes up the base. It is how Rodgers chooses to interpret the role that causes the problem. There is a need to have a midfield, where we are not outnumbered but there are certain games where we do not need to have DM and we need to be flexible with that.

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.
  • Like 3

He was much better on Saturday in the final half an hour. The problem was he was appalling in the opening hour and its hard to pick up on the improvement.

He's nowhere near as bad this season as many are making out but his form and performances in 2022 aren't great. He's been criticised all season though which surprises me as he was doing OK up until he got injured vs Leeds. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Same old "it's the system not the player" excuses that no other player is afforded.

If he can't play in a 4-3-3 then he's definitely not going to have a career at that level as the majority of top teams play that these days. 4-3-2-1 has died out in most of the top sides,

Maddison is afforded it when he's stuck on the wing. 

Ihenacho is afforded it when he's the sole striker.

But yes I agree with the final point - that's the only thing stopping him imo.

13 minutes ago, ousefox said:

Disagree personally he was superb v West Ham and gave Rice a bit of lesson in the second half 

This might sound odd but he suffers in that role when he doesn't have a proper overlapping, aggressive full back - when that's available, his passing options open up inside, channel and wing. 

It makes opposition plays more narrower - Youri gets a little bit more space as a result, he can switch across to Barnes and left-back as well. His opposite central midfielder doesn't really wanna move too much away from the middle of the pitch as it gives a pocket for Maddison. I

• Like 1

One thing Tielemans hasn't yet done for us is turn up and show his class for us in Europe. Really need him to step up tomorrow and show his class vs a very strong team. They only play a midfield 2 at times so that might give Youri more room to dictate.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He was much better on Saturday in the final half an hour. The problem was he was appalling in the opening hour and its hard to pick up on the improvement.

He's nowhere near as bad this season as many are making out but his form and performances in 2022 aren't great. He's been criticised all season though which surprises me as he was doing OK up until he got injured vs Leeds. 

People have a bit of bias against him because he is more then likely leaving.

I felt he was one of the better players this season until he got injured.

People seem to think players are like robots, it take time to find form after injury, with Maddison being the prefect example. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...why would Youri being sold at a discounted price, cause a lack of interest!!!

Is the theory akin to selling the Mona Lisa at the clock tower for £50, because it would be see as not good value, because people would think it to be a fake and show no interest?

There will be a host of clubs  vying for his signature, as running down his contract brings almost every club into the price matrix.

It is either him or Madders to go next season and his performances are not endearing anyone to entreat him to stay. 

You can't blame Drinkwater for taking a chance, it is what has happened since that causes greater concern.  I hope he is seeking some kind of professional help, as it seems clear their are mental factors in play, and he should be addressing this, as it affects people around him also.

The price is dictated by the amount of interest, not the other way round, and whatever Youri is, he isn’t the Mona Lisa. Not saying he’s a bad player, and he’s done brilliant things for us, but that now seems to be in the past. I’m concerned that he’s driving his price down, probably not deliberately.

1 hour ago, FoxesWalk said:

Are these quotes old? Looks… kinda promising. It’s the hope that kills you. 

players don't ever say openly they want to leave, they don't want to have the fans turn on them, quotes mean nothing, the clubs best offer has been on the table for months, if you want to stay sign it...

I didn't expect Youri to join in the first place so to have had him playing for us for 3 1/2 seasons is more than we could have imagined.

Performances haven't been good lately but he's helped get us into Europe twice and won us the FA Cup.

Hes done his bit for us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DanDare said:

Spot on for the most part. 

He can't run, can't tackle and can't create his own space if being closed down when the ball comes to him, so he ends up passing it back to the defender who first gave it to him.  Not exactly creative genius. 

Where he is good is when he gets the ball in open space with time to look and pick a pass.

Unfortunately in the premier league not many teams give you that luxury too often.  I do also think he would be seen to better use played further forward than just in front of the back line. He isn't complete enough a player for an all round midfielder like KDH. More just a ball player. 

Yes I agree in the main..

I reckon at city, he is forced to play too deep and spends too much of the games  on the

Back foot, or chasing backwards..

Our defence has been well off form except the last 3-4 games. Ndidi hasn't

been able to play the holding DM, or keep us on the front foot..

Tielemans is not a defensive midfield player, in the sense, of having to do it 70% of the time..hence he drops off on his form

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

I didn't expect Youri to join in the first place so to have had him playing for us for 3 1/2 seasons is more than we could have imagined.

Performances haven't been good lately but he's helped get us into Europe twice and won us the FA Cup.

Hes done his bit for us.

I agree entirely, he has more than paid us back over the last three years but its time to move on , for him and for us. I don't think anybody has a bad word to say about Youri , he will be remembered fondly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Nobody seems to take into account the amount of football this kids played over the last couple of years. We never rested him and he always got called up for Belgium and mostly played. I see so many people at the club have excuses made for them but Youri seems to be held to a different standard. The guy is a legend for the FA cup final alone and I think fans won't realise what we've got until we haven't got him anymore

WTF? 

One sentence earlier you're pulling the 'never rested' cobblers which has been the main excuse over the last couple of years (and then  finish with the other classic 'doesn't matter anyway cos FA Cup') 

When he does get time out for whatever reason we get the 'he's rusty' excuses wheeled out. 

And over the last season we've been treated to 'his head's not in it' mixed in with whichever of these other two is relevant (I swear I've seen all three after a game) 

I can think of no one who's had more of a pass for below par appearances in recent years than Youri.

• Like 3

Guest Col city fan
12 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

The bitterness from some of you because he might be leaving lol

He's a fantastic footballer and will go on to have a great career at any level. 

:appl:

12 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

Hes done his bit for us.

Ayoze Perez helped us finish 5th twice and won us the FA Cup with a dodgy handball too though.

It just gets a bit frustrating when people try and group together both the last two seasons with Tielemans when his levels of performances were so far apart. There’s a clear attempt to try and create a false equivalence for both seasons and make out Tielemans was a brilliant or even “world class” for like 3 straight years or something and is now only crap because he’s injured.

I haven’t seen anyone say he’s crap or been bitter. Just that people tend to overrate his entire time here when he’s really only ever had 1 great season and scored 1 of the most important goals in the clubs history. He was really mediocre in 2019-20 and our 5th place finish was as much in spite of him than it was because of him. Someone like Perez did contribute more that season even.

He’s been very good for us, but I don’t think he deserves to go down as one of the clubs all-time greats or anything like some seem to.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, turtmcfly said:

WTF? 

One sentence earlier you're pulling the 'never rested' cobblers which has been the main excuse over the last couple of years (and then  finish with the other classic 'doesn't matter anyway cos FA Cup') 

When he does get time out for whatever reason we get the 'he's rusty' excuses wheeled out. 

And over the last season we've been treated to 'his head's not in it' mixed in with whichever of these other two is relevant (I swear I've seen all three after a game) 

I can think of no one who's had more of a pass for below par appearances in recent years than Youri.

:appl:

This 'over-playing' YT nonsense implies that Rodgers and Co. can't monitor the physical/mental stress levels of the squad and adjust the team for that eventuality. Which further implies that City employs a less than fully competent coaching staff.

I've not seen this flawed maxim applied to any other player - why not Luke Thomas, for example? If anyone should be exhausted it should be him.

As has been suggested in this thread, YT may be being played too far back - his weak tackling and regular error-strewn games suggest he'd be at least safer up front. But then there would be an issue with Maddison and a bigger hole than Choudhury could fill at the back. 

The Mercury (aka the Dumb Terminal) has been bigging-up Tieleman's sound bite about Leicester being a great club to play/work for. Perhaps he himself realises that he's not quite the catch the national press would have their readers believe he is. 

Youri has always been a victim of the attention span of this forum. He scores or produces a brilliant pass then he is a genius. He has a non descript  match , then he is overrated. He is in fact a very good player and by and large has done a very good job for us. Is he as good as KDB ? Of course he isn't. Very few are. He will leave a large  hole and we will need to spend big to fill it.

• Thanks 1