Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Youri Tielemans

4 hours ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Seeing how much we missed him on Thursday, yes, even on this year’s performances. People moan about not getting the ball forward quick enough, we’ll he’s one of the few that attempts that, even if they don’t all come off and leads to giving the ball away. It’s something we’re going to struggle to replace.

I think people also seem to miss how teams have set up to stop him playing more this season. A few teams have targeted him by doubling up on him, Roma in particular doing it very effectively. Without him they’ll concentrate on stopping other threats, presumably Maddison. 

Maddison out!

oh wait, am I supposed to wait until he is double/triples teamed regularly first?

Several players deserve legendary status in my eyes.

Youri is one.He hasn't been on form since Christmas, I'm pretty certain he's had a deal signed for weeks maybe months but he gave the club it's place in history with that goal and 20/21 Tielemans was the reason we even got 5th.

Vardy, Albrighton, Schmeichel from those still here
Most of the title winners including Kante

Exceptions - Mahrez, Chilwell.

Neutral - Gray, Drinkwater.

Mahrez had a god-given talent, one of our best ever but going on strike and attempting to force a move was unforgiveable. Not to mention that vid of him & Slimani walking into the dressing rooms away at Chelsea, discussing how it was a "proper club". Mahrez 2017 drowns out Mahrez 15/16. That's not being thick, I just don't like the club - that put put him on the map don't forget - being disrespected.

Drinkwater did similar with a "back injury" that mysteriously cleared up after signing a Chelsea contract. I won't boo him because Rudkin got the deal of the centrury getting 35M for him. The jury's out on Gray. His cryptic social media posts and inconsistent form just show him to be a bit petulant but then there was the goal at Cardiff that erases a lot of that ill will.

To be labelled thick because some people have forgotten the disrespect shown by other players before they left is a bit much.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Seeing how much we missed him on Thursday, yes, even on this year’s performances. People moan about not getting the ball forward quick enough, we’ll he’s one of the few that attempts that, even if they don’t all come off and leads to giving the ball away. It’s something we’re going to struggle to replace.

I think people also seem to miss how teams have set up to stop him playing more this season. A few teams have targeted him by doubling up on him, Roma in particular doing it very effectively. Without him they’ll concentrate on stopping other threats, presumably Maddison. 

Personally, I don't think we missed him at all, we were merely up against a better team with better players. There's no comparison with Chelsea and Norwich for example in terms of midfield personnel and performance.

Far from getting the ball forward, he's been continually giving it away to the opposition and Chelsea would have done more with that than lesser teams like Norwich, Everton and Watford. Those games against such poor teams have given some a false sense of security.

Maddison, KDH and Mendy all worked hard as a team against Chelsea in and out of possession albeit against possibly better players, Tielemans would have been gesticulating and playing at half pace. He's offered little this term. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Phenom said:

Lol you think Youri is triple teamed regularly?

No, just being a smarta$$ 

oh and trying to get ahead of the Maddison Out crowd once he struggles again

Edited by marbles
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Personally, I don't think we missed him at all, we were merely up against a better team with better players. There's no comparison with Chelsea and Norwich for example in termsof midfieldpersonneland performance.

Far from getting the ball forward, he's been continually giving it away to the opposition and Chelsea would have done more with that than lesser teams like Norwich, Everton and Watford. Those games against such poor teams have given some a false sense of security.

Maddison, KDH and Mendy all worked hard as a team against Chelsea in and out of possession albeit against possibly better players, Tielemans would have been gesticulating and playing at half pace. He's offered little this term. 

They did work hard and did as well as they could, but created almost nothing bar Maddison’s brilliance scoring the goal. KDH is great, but there was a number of times he took too long trying to get the ball forward on Thurs highlighting the job Tielemans does. There were a few potential counters nothing came of as a result.

If you’re trying to get the ball forward more the more likely you are to get it cut out. Yes, he’s been more sloppy with them this year and they’re much less effective against teams who sit back, but there was more space in behind Thurs and we really missed it.

• Like 3

Of course we will miss him when he leaves, Youri’s ability to knit passes, keep possession and control our game has been a key part of our success. There is nobody in our squad who has the vision or technical skill to make the passes he makes from deep lying positions and in the final third, if we don’t adequately replace him, we will need to significantly adapt our game to replace the creativity he brings. 

However as with most of our squad this season, he hasn’t hit the levels of the last couple of seasons and coupled with it being pretty obvious he won’t be signing a new contract, this has led to people questioning if he has downed tools, I don’t believe this to be the case, I think much like Wilf, the change in shape to a 4-3-3 has meant a change to Youri’s role and I don’t think he has the physicality to play as lung busting box to box midfielder and as a consequence often looks out of position and on transition i always think he struggles and looks slow. For me Youri is ideal in a 4-2-3-1 where he can sit as a deep lying playmaker alongside a ball winner, allowing him to dictate play and control possession. 

He will always be remembered fondly in my eyes not only for scoring the winner in the FA Cup Final but also for the countless moments of individual brilliance and vision to produce flashes of sheer genius. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

Some of the revisionism of this thread is laughable, we're very lucky to have him and if he is to leave he'll go on to have a better career than here

"squad man at Arsenal"  :crylaugh:

Time will tell but I very much doubt it.

12 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I think he’s a great player and will go on to get better and better.

I’ll be slightly sad when I watch him performing so well for another side, cos I think that’ll happen 

I would love to know what you have seen that makes him a great! player.

A legend for the FA Cup alone, been impressive in patches for us but not nearly often enough to be labelled a great player.

3 hours ago, Phenom said:

Having Tielemens as a club legend but not Mahrez lol

Imagine genuinely thinking this. Even in Mahrez’ final season for us when he wanted out he still put the work in and was still brilliant for us. 

Tielemans has had 1 great full season for is and even in that one, struggled after January like everyone else bar Iheanacho.

I will always like him for his cup final goal. But his mediocre 2019-20 season gets some serious revisionism on here. I even see “a world class couple of seasons” on here sometimes. My memory is there was a popular meme of “Tielemans on loan. Tielemans once we signed him” meme going round that season that’ summed up his poor performances.

Edited by Sampson

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Struggled in January onwards? No he didn't, he carried us in many games along with Iheanacho. Go and watch his performance vs Man Utd in the quarter final or his 2nd half performance away at Brighton where we'd been desperate and on the ropes and his passing, vision and desire dragged us across the line. He was MOTM in a lot of games last season.

He absolutely was, the fact you can only remember 1 half of 1 league games speaks volumes. He was far worse in the 2nd half than the 1st half of last season and gave out limp performances in the big games in the run in as much as everyone else bar Iheanacho and that was the widely held opinion amongst Leicester fans at the time too. Iheanacho was scoring goals from nowhere (which Tielemans had no part in) which was the only thing keeping us remotely competitive to finishing 4th in the final few months.

Edited by Sampson

Guest ttfn
6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Limp performances in big games? Enlighten me? He was unreal in pretty much every FA Cup game last season, him and Iheanacho the only players with any interest in playing in the 5th round vs Brighton, the quarter final was probably the best performance I've ever seen from Tielemans and we know what he did in the final. 

I didn't see a limp performance from him away at Man Utd, at home to Arsenal we were appalling 2nd half but he was one of very few who could take any credit. Don't recall limp performances from him at home to Southampton, Chelsea, Liverpool, West Brom, Palace etc.

Away from home he scored important goals at Newcastle, Everton, was unlucky not to snatch us the win at Burnley where he hit the post.

I've looked at the stats and his match ratings were amongst the highest of any of our players throughout. He had a good season, his most consistent for a player that has had some big slumps (2019/20 and this season) 

Pretty much the only one who showed up against Spurs on the final day as well. 

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Limp performances in big games? Enlighten me? He was unreal in pretty much every FA Cup game last season, him and Iheanacho the only players with any interest in playing in the 5th round vs Brighton, the quarter final was probably the best performance I've ever seen from Tielemans and we know what he did in the final. 

I didn't see a limp performance from him away at Man Utd, at home to Arsenal we were appalling 2nd half but he was one of very few who could take any credit. Don't recall limp performances from him at home to Southampton, Chelsea, Liverpool, West Brom, Palace etc.

Away from home he scored important goals at Newcastle, Everton, was unlucky not to snatch us the win at Burnley where he hit the post.

I've looked at the stats and his match ratings were amongst the highest of any of our players throughout. He had a good season, his most consistent for a player that has had some big slumps (2019/20 and this season) 

In the run in during the collapses to West Ham and Newcastle, didn’t create a chance in the defeat to Fulham or the draw to Southampton.  No one had a limp performance vs ManUtd reserves, we were playing their kids, that isn’t saying much. And he absolutely was limp vs Chelsea, even Nacho was that game, we were awful and lucky not to lose 4 or 5-1. That Chelsea league performance was the definition of “after the Lord Mayor’s show”

Edited by Sampson

1 hour ago, Ian S said:

I would love to know what you have seen that makes him a great! player.

A legend for the FA Cup alone, been impressive in patches for us but not nearly often enough to be labelled a great player.

Like I said....revisionism 

2 minutes ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

Like I said....revisionism 

It really isn’t.

If he is a great player let’s see if he signs for a great team.Obviously we are not aware of everything going on in the background but there hardly seems a massive queue for his services.My worst fear is he stays for another season and plays like he has this season.If we get £40m it’s a right result.

• Like 1

There were only two players in our team capable of scoring that FA Cup final goal and one of them was on the bench because he was horrendously out of form (Maddison).

That tells you everything you need to know about Tielemans’ quality. It’s quality that’s hard to come by for a club like Leicester.

I said it before, admittedly before he’d underwhelmed this season, but I think we’ll be talking about his departure and missing him in the same way we did Lennon after he left a gaping hole in our midfield.

• Like 4