Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Youri Tielemans

31 minutes ago, Sampson said:

He’s not going to extend his contract. Free transfers are infamously the best deals for both player and agent. It’s obvious he wants to leave.

It’s either get a fee this summer or leave on a free next summer.

Why would we give him another contract til next summer and increase his wages without extending his contract? Would be a waste of money for the club and eat into our transfer budget.

A year contract extension would only really be worth it if we had 20/21 level Youri back for another season, or if the club couldn't land the replacement they wanted until the following summer.  

1 hour ago, foxinsocks said:

So - Why not just repeat this year - he extends his contract from june 23 to june 24 and we increase his wages - then next summer we can do the same or he gets to be sold or he runs down his contract.  Simples

It's so clubs don't think ,they can get him on the cheap., Because his contract runs out..

24 minutes ago, turlo said:

A year contract extension would only really be worth it if we had 20/21 level Youri back for another season, or if the club couldn't land the replacement they wanted until the following summer.  

But Tielemans isn’t going to extend anyway so it would be a non-starter even if all that were the case.

People need to move on from the contract, it’s not happening. It’s a simple choice between selling him (at probably a cut price ) now or him going for nothing next summer. Personally I’d much rather we took the money towards reinvestment into the squad. There’s going to be a transition period in Tielemans’ position regardless, seems silly turning down an extra £25mil towards replacing that.

• Like 2

if he stays he needs to play like he wants to be here and not like he's just waiting for his medical at his next club like he did this season, he was a serious handicap most of the year

9 hours ago, Bert said:

For the exact reasons that, he’ll get more money, and it’ll help the club out too by guaranteeing them a bigger transfer fee. He has a good season and the big clubs are back in for him. It’s how it works and it’s how the club like to operate. 

...he has engineered this situation to maximise the number of clubs who will now be able to sign him!!!

10 hours ago, teblin said:

He’s not been as bad as people make out this season.

If he decides to sign a contract tomorrow I’d be more than happy.

I wouldn't say bad, more inconsistent.

We know he has talent and we know he can score scorching goals but it seems to me his head hasn't been in the right place for much of the season. Perhaps a result of listening more to his agent than his manager!!

25 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

I wouldn't say bad, more inconsistent.

We know he has talent and we know he can score scorching goals but it seems to me his head hasn't been in the right place for much of the season. Perhaps a result of listening more to his agent than his manager!!

It's not just the lack of scoring goals: How many times this season has he tried to bang in a worldie instead of the better pass, and hit it over the crossbar? And how many goals has his mistakes directly cost us this season (Sunday being the latest example)? I love Youri, but if he was playing at his best this year, we would be in Europe, and quite possibly hoisting a trophy.

If he did sign a new deal with us, I would want his head in the game. 

He's an exceptional player, even though he has not had his best season by his usual standards we are a better team with Tielemans in the side.

He needs a good rest and he will be back to his best. He is a superb footballer when firing on all cylinders and would be a asset to most teams.

He is young enough to stay a couple more years then move to a big club. I would be over the moon if he stays.

11 hours ago, Bert said:

I’d rather risk losing him for free and get another season out of him than sell him now for £25m. If he does stay this summer he’ll sign a new contract before leaving next summer. 

I would rather get money for him now & bring in someone who wants to be here. He doesn't look like his heart is in it any more.

10 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

No he hasn't. Ineffective in the final third at times, yeah - but he's certainly not been "abysmal". 

Abysmal might be too strong but pretty crap covers it.

Guest Col city fan

I think again, be careful what you wish for. I think it’ll likely only be when Tielemans has gone that people who aren’t big fans of his now, will appreciate what we’ve lost. I’m still hoping he stays.

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I think again, be careful what you wish for. I think it’ll likely only be when Tielemans has gone that people who aren’t big fans of his now, will appreciate what we’ve lost. I’m still hoping he stays.

I think that’s entirely dependant on who we get into replace him and nothing to do with Tielemans though.

We’ll miss him if we screw up our recruitment and make a shit signing but won’t if we get our recruitment right and sign a good player. As with any player.

I remember people just as equally saying “you’ll realise what we’ve lost when Maguire/Chilwell go” but we didn’t because Justin and Soyuncu replaced them really well.

If we sign a shit replacement it doesn’t necessarily mean those who don’t think he’s contributed enough this season are wrong.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

Guest Col city fan
5 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I think that’s entirely dependant on who we get into replace him and nothing to do with Tielemans though.

We’ll miss him if we screw up our recruitment and make a shit signing but won’t if we get our recruitment right and sign a good player. As with any player.

I remember people just as equally saying “you’ll realise what we’ve lost when Maguire/Chilwell go” but we didn’t because Justin and Soyuncu replaced them really well.

If we sign a shit replacement it doesn’t necessarily mean those who don’t think he’s contributed enough this season are wrong.

I don’t think he’s contributed enough this season either. I think the majority don’t.

But it’s been a poor season in the main, with many many players underperforming. 
We know how good Tielemans can be when he’s having ‘a good season’. 
But I agree. If he goes, and we then go on to sign a naff midfielder, it’ll strengthen the argument that he should never have been sold 

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

I don’t think he’s contributed enough this season either. I think the majority don’t.

But it’s been a poor season in the main, with many many players underperforming. 
We know how good Tielemans can be when he’s having ‘a good season’. 
But I agree. If he goes, and we then go on to sign a naff midfielder, it’ll strengthen the argument that he should never have been sold 

Not really.

He’s going anyway, this summer or next. There’s little “never should’ve been sold” about it really. It’s clearly Tielemans’ decision to leave, not really the club’s. Just makes sense to get some money for him while we can.

It won’t strengthen the argument if we sign a naff replacement, it will just mean we signed a naff replacement and the recruitment wasn’t good enough.

We initially tried to replace Kante with Daniel Amartey and Nampalys Mendy and looked like we desperately missed Kante. Then we signed a good replacement in Ndidi and didn’t really miss Kante that much anymore. That says nothing either way about Kante really.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 4

On 24/05/2022 at 21:39, Sampson said:

Not really.

He’s going anyway, this summer or next. There’s little “never should’ve been sold” about it really. It’s clearly Tielemans’ decision to leave, not really the club’s. Just makes sense to get some money for him while we can.

It won’t strengthen the argument if we sign a naff replacement, it will just mean we signed a naff replacement and the recruitment wasn’t good enough.

We initially tried to replace Kante with Daniel Amartey and Nampalys Mendy and looked like we desperately missed Kante. Then we signed a good replacement in Ndidi and didn’t really miss Kante that much anymore. That says nothing either way about Kante really.

Of course there is the possibility that there will be no serious offers for him, lots of competition out there

He had a massive drop off in form at Monaco, that's the main reason we were able to sign him, it might just be that that's in his DNA. I know he was younger at Monaco, but that's 2 clubs in a row his form has dropped off a cliff. It could be fatigue or it might be that when he has been somewhere a while he goes stale and needs a fresh challenge. I think we all appreciate what a talent he is and what he has done for the club, but we've all seen him play like he has no desire this season. I'd rather he left now for a decent fee than we try and drag another season out of him when he is not interested.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, FLAN said:

I think he’s burnt out. Hardly had a rest for years. Summer will do him good but then it’s World Cup in winter again

think he needs a proper break to reset 

four international games in June. I assume he will then get a three week break before he reports for pre season 

which means a later start than those who aren’t on international duty. 

But it’s not a big break is it. I assume he has gone away with his family this week (which is why he isn’t in Thailand).  He does need to recharge both mentally and physically 

• Like 1

Guest David Oldfields Gate
On 24/05/2022 at 21:13, Col city fan said:

Seconded. Massively.  Great player, let down this season by the whole general malaise and whatnot.

3 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Not digging you in particular mate, but i just can't buy into this 'he's lost interest' narrative. Its convenient but it's too binary and simplistic.

I fail to accept a nice lad like Youri with a winners' mentality, an obvious affection for the club, personal and professional pride simply cba. 

Fair play, I don't know if he's disinterested, burnt out or fatigued nor whether it is something he can control. But his performance and particularly concentration levels have been way down. The amount of mistakes he's made recently have been costly. If you could guarantee a return to form for one more season I would say it's worth keeping him for one more season then let him go on a free, but a repeat of the last 4 months then he is better off going somewhere for our sake and his.

• Like 2

Phil Collins hit the nail on the head..

We has a life, we had a love, but you don't know what you've got 'till you lose it!

Youris quality will be a huge loss, forms been hit and miss but so has pretty much one. He early vision to pick a killer pass when playing higher up is natural talent and can not be taught. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, berniethebolt said:

Phil Collins hit the nail on the head..

We has a life, we had a love, but you don't know what you've got 'till you lose it!

Youris quality will be a huge loss, forms been hit and miss but so has pretty much one. He early vision to pick a killer pass when playing higher up is natural talent and can not be taught. 

Exactly my view. He's been played deep a lot of this season and he does it well, but it really isn't where we see the best of him. He plays best higher up the pitch. 

• Like 1