Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Youri Tielemans

On 04/06/2022 at 11:18, Finnegan said:

I'm on a train with minimal signal so I can't be arsed going and digging around for hours looking through Rodgers pre match interviews but I used to listen to quite a few of them in full. 

What he's said is that Youri is what Rodgers described as a "momentum player" and implied that he needs to play every week to stay in a vain or consistent form. 

In a recent interview before one of the European games he described Kiernan Dewsbury Hall using the same phrase, "momentum" player. 

Like I said, no, I'm not going to go and dig back for the evidence but I'd like to think I'm trustworthy enough that you can trust me not to be pulling this out of my arse. 

I’m pretty sure this was in response from Youri having a period of a game in and a game out for a few weeks in 20/21 and then coming back and having a string of good performances and Rodgers was questioned about it. I remember hearing the same comments too. 

On 03/06/2022 at 12:40, SafewayFox said:

It’s very bizarre as he still covered a lot of ground but feel it’s just the fact he does it in such a labored way.

I do find comments about his fitness/physique mainly come into question when he’s under performing.

I actually think that he has got

more physical and better defensively over the last season or so in a similar fashion to Maddison of late. The problem recently has been that his passing has not been of the same standard and you can see the frustration in his face and body language. I think this can be interpreted as not caring but I’m not sure if that is correct. Almost Everybody has dips in form from time to time. Out POTS certainly did in the few first months of the season. 

On 03/06/2022 at 11:44, Sampson said:

When has Rodgers ever said that? Can you please link a quote from Rodgers about that? I don’t remember him ever doing so.

People just always choose whatever the opposite argument is to what’s currently happening to try and make the opposite point that was being made about the same player about 3 weeks previously.

Didn't I ask you to give examples of these "People" you mention in para.2 last Saturday? You didn't manage to enlighten me, yet here you are asking for the very same thing. I hope you get a better answer than I did.

1 hour ago, gerblod said:

Didn't I ask you to give examples of these "People" you mention in para.2 last Saturday? You didn't manage to enlighten me, yet here you are asking for the very same thing. I hope you get a better answer than I did.

Mate, it’s a weird thing to bring up a pretty throwaway discussion from a week ago. If you want, you’re welcome to go searching through 100s of pages of threads to find these opinions. It’s a bit obsessive digging up a throwaway line  I ignored because no one’s got the time to go back through hundreds of threads

The opinion on here whenever Tielemans is out for a period that he comes back poor and needs regular game time has been posted by posters here quite a lot and quite regularly over the years.

You’re welcome to search through hundreds of pages of threads it you’re so desperate for proof even a week later that you’re still thinking about it. 

In the meantime, I’m sure they’ll be plenty of posters on here who will corroborate they’ve seen the opinion that Tielemans needs regular game time to get up to speed and keep his fitness up posted on these forums many times over the years, if it really matters that much.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

On 09/06/2022 at 13:26, Sampson said:

Mate, it’s a weird thing to bring up a pretty throwaway discussion from a week ago. If you want, you’re welcome to go searching through 100s of pages of threads to find these opinions. It’s a bit obsessive digging up a throwaway line  I ignored because no one’s got the time to go back through hundreds of threads

The opinion on here whenever Tielemans is out for a period that he comes back poor and needs regular game time has been posted by posters here quite a lot and quite regularly over the years.

You’re welcome to search through hundreds of pages of threads it you’re so desperate for proof even a week later that you’re still thinking about it. 

In the meantime, I’m sure they’ll be plenty of posters on here who will corroborate they’ve seen the opinion that Tielemans needs regular game time to get up to speed and keep his fitness up posted on these forums many times over the years, if it really matters that much.

Forget Tielemans - a week ago I was asking you to provide examples of where posters had contradicted themselves. I didn't really expect a response because I didn't think you could back it up.

Then, a few days later, you're asking for the very same thing I asked you for, from someone else! At least back up your claims with a bit of evidence. Or else people will think you're just sounding off for the sake of it.

On 04/06/2022 at 10:42, SafewayFox said:

I don’t know mate.

Confidence breeds confidence and even at grass roots level, if I was full of confidence it made a huge difference.

Even in elite football those small margins are huge - taking that extra touch, not playing a pass as want that safe one etc, all creeps into your head.

When I'm watching a tennis GS final, between two equally gifted players, it's the one with the greater self-belief or the greater will to win who will triumph. 

That's not in the endurance or the technique - it's in the brain. 

City are/is a great example. When they click they're tremendous, when they're hesitant, things start to go wrong. 

It's kind of self-fulfilling, this stuff about not being able to defend corners etc. If they listen to or read the media hype about 'Leicester can't defend corners/ free kicks', then the message gets into their heads. It takes strong counter messages to repair the damage a few stray words can cause. Reputations take years to build and moments to ruin - and that's why good reputations need constant reinforcement.

Edited by gerblod
Final sentence needed clarification
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, gerblod said:

When I'm watching a tennis GS final, between two equally gifted players, it's the one with the greater self-belief or the greater will to win who will triumph. 

That's not in the endurance or the technique - it's in the brain. 

City are/is a great example. When they click they're tremendous, when they're hesitant, things start to go wrong. 

It's kind of self-fulfilling, this stuff about not being able to defend corners etc. If they listen to or read the media hype about 'Leicester can't defend corners/ free kicks', then the message gets into their heads. It takes strong counter messages to repair the damage a few stray words can cause. Reputations take years to build and moments to ruin - and that's why good reputations need constant reinforcement.

They aren’t stray words. We’re terrible at defending corners. It’s that simple. 

14 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

As is the answer ..  get a keeper who commands his box and you’re half way there.  OR ..  spend an awful lot of money replacing some of your shorter players with equally good but taller players and spend an awful lot of time on the training ground practicing corners.  

I know which way I’d go ..  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Leeds Fox said:

It's never that simple. You're using the 'we' pronoun - as if the defence or the defence organisation is a single entity - it's a number of players who aren't combining properly to do a job. They're at sea because nobody's actually taking responsibility to tell them what to do and instil that into a routine which becomes automatic. 

It's happened so many times that, in my opinion, the message that they can't defend these situations has become an idee-fixe which needs psychology to repair.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
10 hours ago, gerblod said:

It's never that simple. You're using the 'we' pronoun - as if the defence or the defence organisation is a single entity - it's a number of players who aren't combining properly to do a job. They're at sea because nobody's actually taking responsibility to tell them what to do and instil that into a routine which becomes automatic. 

It's happened so many times that, in my opinion, the message that they can't defend these situations has become an idee-fixe which needs psychology to repair.

I’ll say again, we never had anywhere near as much of a problem defending corners before this season… and unless I’m wrong Schmeichel has been between the sticks for years?

Look to the defenders for the bulk of this season.. there’s a clue..

10 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I’ll say again, we never had anywhere near as much of a problem defending corners before this season… and unless I’m wrong Schmeichel has been between the sticks for years?

Yes - they're the ones who aren't performing to the required level - but are you hinting that it's Fofana and Evans or the obvious current scapegoats of Amartey and Söyüncü - or any combination of those four? Wilf wasn't making much of a difference before his injury. Schmeichel appears to be playing to his usual standard, but should he now be trying to impose himself more in the box to compensate for the current chaos?

The central defenders should be commanding/directing these situations. Who decided that marking Abrahams in the Roma game could be left to someone six inches shorter and several kilos lighter? At least Huth and Morgan had no problem throwing their weight around. 

Last summer (and several transfer windows before) the club should have been combing the globe for an aggressive, decisive big lad - to bring on to supplement and eventually supplant Evans. Instead they opted to 'reinforce' positions in scant need of reinforcement and opted to buy a central defender from the bargain bucket. Wasn't anyone in management and recruitment aware that there was a problem? The clue was the loan of Bennett from Wolves - which achieved nothing but highlight you don't get quality on the cheap. And, I suspect, had Fofana not been assaulted as he was, problems would still have manifested.  

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
1 hour ago, gerblod said:

Yes - they're the ones who aren't performing to the required level - but are you hinting that it's Fofana and Evans or the obvious current scapegoats of Amartey and Söyüncü - or any combination of those four? Wilf wasn't making much of a difference before his injury. Schmeichel appears to be playing to his usual standard, but should he now be trying to impose himself more in the box to compensate for the current chaos?

The central defenders should be commanding/directing these situations. Who decided that marking Abrahams in the Roma game could be left to someone six inches shorter and several kilos lighter? At least Huth and Morgan had no problem throwing their weight around. 

Last summer (and several transfer windows before) the club should have been combing the globe for an aggressive, decisive big lad - to bring on to supplement and eventually supplant Evans. Instead they opted to 'reinforce' positions in scant need of reinforcement and opted to buy a central defender from the bargain bucket. Wasn't anyone in management and recruitment aware that there was a problem? The clue was the loan of Bennett from Wolves - which achieved nothing but highlight you don't get quality on the cheap. And, I suspect, had Fofana not been assaulted as he was, problems would still have manifested.  

0255FC18-B05A-47F3-A5D4-07D7A9C6990B.jpeg

Our defensive problems are mostly down to Rodgers and not individuals. His coaching history shows you he has a poor history with defensive tactics. In a well-organised defence , all our defenders would do a sound job. Our goals conceded stats are well below average for a top team..Is that going to change whilst he's here ? I doubt it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Know what you’re saying Col but as you’ve rightly pointed out Schmeichel has been here for years ..  many round him have changed and imo he has also changed. Yes he still barks out to his defenders and pulls off some excellent saves but his ability to jump up and catch a ball and his distribution are rank and I doubt will ever improve.  What did it for me was when he said he still would like European football and maybe ..  maybe ..  move on to get it. Nothing is forever and (also imo) now would be a good time to change things up a bit .. are our other two keepers good enough ??  If so play them more and if not get someone else in ..   whether he stays or goes he needs either strong competition or replacing. 

3 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

1 clean sheet in 12 still isn’t great 

11 conceded in 12 games will probably be more than one clean sheet? It's a great defensive record anyway albeit over a very small selection of games.

6 minutes ago, Mark_w said:

11 conceded in 12 games will probably be more than one clean sheet? It's a great defensive record anyway albeit over a very small selection of games.

Southampton game was a penalty which youri gave away too, be interested to see goals from open play stat when he’s played this season? 

• Like 1